Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

The new vaccine is worse than Covid for me! That’s some strong shit.

1 Like

Covid was harmless for you because you were vaccinated before.

3 Likes

I always had very strong reactions as well. It wasn’t fun but at least I can tell myself that the vaccine is ready to go.

1 Like

There’s probably some evidence reactogenicity is a good sign.

https://fortune.com/well/2022/10/25/covid-vaccine-side-effects-may-mean-better-protection-new-study-suggests/

5 Likes

I also read somewhere that the severity of your vaccine reaction is linked to faking veganism. Your body has simply enough of your BS

2 Likes

Seems intuitive. It’s interesting how much of the misery of being sick is actually the effects of the immune response as opposed to the effects of the virus.

1 Like

SF Bay Area numbers aren’t much different from last week. I’m happy to see that the jump in the new-case rate in LA last week was not the start of a spike.

2 Likes

Wastewater in LA:

https://www.lacsd.org/home/showpublisheddocument/4318/638028981087823357

1 Like

I’ve been reading and hearing people, many of whom should know better, talk about a forthcoming “winter surge” as if that were a pattern. In reality, the surges have been driven by new variants. Last December’s Omicron surge also happened in the Southern Hemisphere, where it was, you know, summer.

1 Like

LA Times headline refers to a non-existent surge. Maybe they were confused by the surge in pediatric RSV.

1 Like

Still looking OK this week. The bumps in SF, San Mateo, and LA could be the start of an upward trend or could be just random variation / sampling noise.

That is also consistent with the findings wrt long covid and repeat infections.

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s certainly prudent, but it might be premature. This could be just a slight rise due to people spending more time indoors and closing windows due to the weather rather than the beginning of another variant-driven wave.

For the moment I’m still comfortable going to restaurants.

1 Like

The study disregards the difference between (1) people infected with Covid and (2) people diagnosed with Covid by medical professionals. Group #2 is heavily skewed toward people with weak immune systems. At most, the VA stats suggest that Covid was worse the second time for people with weak immune systems. I doubt that’s true. I think the stats are further skewed by the fact that lots of healthy people went to the doctor in the early days of Covid due to the uncertainty–especially pre-vaccines–and they mostly had mild symptoms. Not many healthy people would go to the doctor with Covid these days

The study’s consistent with other studies of long Covid, some of which have found that it affects people who had mild symptoms or none.

Currently, something like 60% of people who are diagnosed with Covid in hospitals were admitted for something else.

It’s always good to ignore all existing scientific literature and just go by gut feeling (especially if you have proven again and again that you are wrong on many things and can’t distinguish between facts and wishful thinking)

2 Likes

Are you the guy who hands out the clipboard with all the forms and the pen that doesn’t work at the doctor’s office? If so apologies for my handwriting.