Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

I am the guy who is trying to design drugs for challenged people like you and pushing them towards clinical trials so that you have some chance to live a normal life

9 Likes

The scientists are truly heroes during this pandemic.

There are people, brilliant and hard working people who make it their life’s work to study viruses, to make vaccines and medications to save countless lives, who have dedicated decades of their lives to this.

5 Likes

I definitely think big pharma do great work and really stepped it up to develop Covid vaccines quickly.

I appreciate the effort!

Moderna and BioNTech are fairly small companies.

Both companies were even before covid started for biotech companies quite large with 1000+ (Moderna) and 1500+ (BionTech) employees. If you have 500+ employees you are considered large in biotech-world - 90% of all biotechs have never more than 100 employees in their (often short) lifetime

1 Like

That’s tiny compared with big pharma companies like Pfizer (~80,000) and Johnson & Johnson (~145,000).

1 Like

But you can’t compare it to a few very big companies in a sector but look on the overall size distribution within a sector. Pfizer, Novartis etc. are the outliers, not the norm in biotech/pharma. And if we really become technical Moderna and BioNTech are biotechs and Pfizer and J&J are pharma

I was responding to

LA will break 200 in a week or two if the trend keeps up. SF Bay Area steady.

Looks like China’s attempt to hide from a highly contagious virus is about to unravel.

LA County is back to the yellow / medium tier due to hospitalizations of Covid-posiitive individuals exceeding 10 per 100K. As usual, many of these people were hospitalized for other things.

Cases are still on track to exceed 200 in the next couple of weeks.

SF Bay Area case rates are down a bit, basically holding steady.

Hospital cases are trending up. Makes sense given the cold weather and widespread flu and RSV.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

That could be the start of a wave, or it could be just the predictable blip resulting from all the Thanksgiving indoor socializing with people coming from near and far, many of whom think the pandemic is over so no worries about masking etc.

Same story here.

Can anyone access this site? https://data.covid-web.org/

His argument is more along age-specific data - if we look on all aggregated data we might not see early signs

I don’t know where they came up with that 50%. In the past week, the seven-day average has gone up from 5,892 to 7,264, an increase of 23%.

Shit’s looking bad all over.

3 Likes