Random Thoughts & Questions

It was course #2 of peking duck where they take the leftover meat/carcass, which I already paid for ($108), and make lettuce cups with shredded duck meat or a “stir-fried” course (I paid $22 for their labor only…fair enough) . I opted for the latter thinking that a high end Cantonese restaurant will make something decent out of it despite cooking the meat a second time (a brief stir-fried) which is routine for such course. But NO! It was deep fried and the whole fucking plate of bone-in meat is the toughest and most dried out piece of shit I’ve ever had anywhere anytime in my life. That shit sticks to your teeth and it was clearly inedible and I told the server as much after trying 2 pieces…how a restaurant of such caliber can serve me such a shit dish and not take it off my bill, despite the obvious execution fault, is unbelievable.

3 Likes

That’s fair! I guess I never send dishes back and can’t imagine doing so for anything that wasn’t a truly extreme case, so maybe I’m not a good test for this. I don’t think I would adjust my tip by any noticeable margin based on these circumstances, but in reading yours and other posts I do understand why someone might.

1 Like

Are there high-end Cantonese restaurants with good service?

I haven’t been to many high end ones in the US but i got better service at China Tang at MGM with my brief visit there for dessert.

I think that would be a good thread.

Hotel restaurants might be an exception to the rule since there’s an additional layer of management.

The highest-end Cantonese place I’ve been to was the Crystal Jade branch in SF, on which they spent $14 million, but service was about like you’d get in a suburban strip mall.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Crystal-Jade-San-Francisco-s-14-million-13030963.php

I never knew peeps grew in trees

2 Likes

Are baby hummingbirds a good sub for ortolan? Asking for a friend.

Only one way to find out.

1 Like

No. You want mature hummingbirds.

Is it just me, or does the Board seem less active than usual? :frowning:

5 Likes

I’ve been noticing this, too.

2 Likes

Yes posting traffic has been downhill for a while

2 Likes

Blame it on the man who refuses to ever lose an argument, even if it means arguing with himself.

5 Likes

:frowning:

1 Like

Sorry @paranoidgarliclover for my absence. I’m making my way through an SF trip so been posting there recently. I’ll be back soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chart of weekly post counts for the past year:

Daily engaged users:

So much engagement, I can’t stop refreshing.

Robert, if you’ll share… what is the left (vertical) axis a multiple of (10, 100)?