Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

i really do like the impossible as a thicker burger cooked medium. very ‘meaty’ -there is a faint peanut butter taste in the patty (from the soy i assume?) when cooked like that though

3 Likes

I do! I do!

Especially the “Beyond Meat” products, with the faux ground beef crumbles being particularly repellant, scent-wise, while heating. Fine once cooked (after a bunch of stuff has been added - I’m not sure I’ve tasted the crumbles “as is” after cooking).

The Beyond Meat Original Brats have the same initial scent issue, but once they start cooking they smell (and taste) like a meat-based brat.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure-out a quick vegan Salisbury Steak recipe. I’m close to something I’d be okay with serving to others, finally.

Using either the Gardein or Trader Joe’s meatless meatballs, from frozen, I pan steam them (oil and a bit of water) for a few minutes, covered. Once softened, I remove the lid and flatten the meatballs into patties, then brown on both sides and remove to plate. Depending on how much I’m making (I tend to cook with the intent of leftovers), this sometimes requires cooking in batches.

Then, using this Serious Eats Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Brown Gravy recipe as a guide, I build the sauce in the pan. Usually more mushrooms and onion - and the onion is more minced than diced.

I’ve used Better than Bouillon no-beef and no-chicken as a base for the “stock” - no real preference between the two, but both are very salty so be careful about adding any additional salt.

I skip the Worcestershire sauce (any recommendations for a vegan substitute?) and the “finishing” with the butter (may try that with Miyoko’s butter next time).

Served with mashed potatoes and something green (green beans with almonds, roasted asparagus, etc), it’s pretty satisfying.

6 Likes

Sorry, one last question: does the spinach and artichoke dip topping really get the golden brown they show in the video? I’m trying for a vegan spinach lasagna recipe and still trying to nail that part

1 Like

I think Georgian pkhali are all vegan.

You could substitute dried shitakes and a little salt for the anchovies in this:

1 Like

@WireMonkey - To get that exact tone, you need to use the higher amount of nutritional yeast. I prefer the 1/4 cup (or even 1/3 of a cup) not the half. So it will not get as dark as the pic, but you will get some browning.

1 Like

erewhon has a good one. It’s pricey but lasts a long time.

4 Likes

mark bittman had published a recipe for vegan worcestershire a while back in the NYT. I’ve never made it but i did save it. if anyone is interested i’ll send it via DM.

5 Likes

This is vegan. 365 Everyday Value, Organic Worcestershire Sauce, 5 fl oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H7LFNJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nMnoEbGF4F626

You can find it at Whole Foods

3 Likes

Interesting milk substitute “created in a kitchen and made of real ingredients.”

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Eclipse-Foods-ice-cream-Humphry-Slocombe-non-dairy-14821134.php

4 Likes

The SF gate article didn’t mention of the ice cream was actually any good?! With that toothless i expected more of a food review

1 Like

She didn’t like the texture or flavor.

Not that @robert was claiming this but it would probably be more accurate to compare Eclipse to Beyond and Perfect Day to Impossible given the approaches they take to reproduce milk from other sources.

I tried the Perfect Day stuff when they were in LA over the summer. It was interesting how much creaminess you associate with dairy can be reproduced without actual dairy. It kind of reminds me how people describe lactic acid in cocktails to have a “creamy” quality that has nothing to do with dairy or fat.

Still, the product was a little icy and reminded me of Breyer’s once it’s past its peak (which make sense given Breyers is traditionally known for milk based ice cream rather than cream or custard).

1 Like

Same goes for Champagne.

making Shepards pie!

4 Likes

One of my favorites! How was it and how did you make it?

Hi all! Still would love additional vegan pancake recipes, as well as recs for vegan alfredo. Thanks in advance! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Alfredo’s easy, just leave out the butter, cream, and cheese.

1 Like

That’s not a helpful response for the theme of this thread.

4 Likes

Hi @chinchi, I haven’t made a vegan alfredo, but I imagine using really soft silken tofu to make the creamy sauce could work. And add in nutritional yeast to get some a kind of “cheesy” taste to it.

This recipe looks interesting though- it doesn’t have silken tofu but uses olive oil and vegan parmesan.

4 Likes