Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

Per the discussion here:

How do you do vegan when cooking at home?

4 Likes

Couple of disclaimers before I start posting:

1. In the past* I have turned to a lot of the plant-based meats in my cooking; due to concerns about the environment (especially the packaging) and the sodium/fat levels in some of these products, I am starting to push myself to explore recipes/approaches that don’t rely on vegan meats.

2. Due to many factors, I tend to have limited time and energy for daily cooking, so I gravitate to making large batches of a dish with the intent of freezing or repurposing.

*I cooked a bunch of Field Roast Italian Sausages last night, for sausage sandwiches (sauteed onions and bell peppers, plus a marinara sauce I made last summer and froze); others will be diced and added to more marinara to eat with pasta.

3 Likes

I have been playing around with this recipe:

Still haven’t figured out the right plant-based sausage for it - the Italian-flavored ones are okay, but not great with the sage. Have thought about ditching the sausage altogether and doing a fine dice of assorted mushrooms, plus garlic.

The foccacia dough is fun to work with; I’ve used it for regular foccacia and then used that to make a variation on the the theme of a vegan muffuletta/muffaletta/layered-and-pressed sandwich.

3 Likes

My go-to white bean lentil and greens soup.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • olive oil
  • 1 can white beans (any kind of white beans- navy beans, northern beans, cannelini, etc)
  • 1 cup red lentils, uncooked
  • 1 cup packed frozen chopped spinach or kale
  • 4-6 cups good quality vegetable broth (depending on how thick you like your soups/stews, add more broth or water if you want it thinner). alternatively i also really like these bouillon cubes. You can find them at Whole Foods and Amazon.
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 2-3 dried bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chopped fresh parsley (i eyeball this…maybe a fistful)

Steps:

1. Chop onions, carrots and celery.
  2. Add oil to big pot, throw in chopped ingredients, saute until slightly soft (couple minutes)
  3. Put in broth (or water/bouillon cubes). Cover pot and bring to simmer.
  4. Add in red lentils, beans and bay leaves. Cover pot again. Cook at a light simmer for about 20 minutes until red lentils are done.
  5. Add in whatever greens you’re using, until greens are soft. (about 5 minutes)
  6. Add in lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

I like to make a big batch of this for the week and bring to lunch.

6 Likes

Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cookery (British Broadcasting Corp., 1982) has some great vegetable (and other) recipes and all the ones I’ve tried seemed to have been well-tested. My versions of a couple of my favorites are on my web site:

http://lauriston.com/recipes.html

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&kn=&an=&tn="Madhur+Jaffrey's+Indian+Cookery"&isbn=

2 Likes

I would love folks’ favorite vegan pancake recipe(s). Thanks in advance :pancakes:

1 Like

Korean pancakes don’t have eggs.

2 Likes

I made this over the weekend. DELISH. BUT WAIT…
I left out the tomatoes and added diced sweet potatoes instead and added some agave to taste to sweeten it a bit. To me it was good made by the recipe but not delish. Oh and I just used the trader joes lentils. I also didn’t set aside any coconut milk. I just poured it all in. I used about 2/3rds of the lentils.

4 Likes

Just made a beyond meat burger. It was delicious!

5 Likes

Yay! How did you cook it and how did you serve it?

1 Like

These were a great hit with everyone including omnivores. Perfect for Superbowl

7 Likes

I love the gooey, naughty spinach artichoke dips you get at restaurants. But I know they are way bad for me. Saw this recipe, tried it and? Excellent! Even better, my carnivorous, needs to eat healthier, husband loves it. (you can click the “show more” and it will give you a print listing of the ingredients.)

Heads up, I like it with 1/4 cup nutritional yeast versus 1/2 cup and? It works very well with a 10oz. frozen block of chopped spinach thawed, squeezed and added in - versus the 5 oz fresh.

5 Likes

This recipe looks pretty awesome. Can I ask if you’ve ever had leftovers and if it maintains the same consistency?

Reason for asking, I’ve been experimenting with using tofu to emulsify greens as well (although in a somewhat different application) and sometimes there is some syneresis I’m trying to troubleshoot.

2 Likes

@WireMonkey -
The consistency stays the same.

The flavors are sharper the first day, more mellow after that. I like it on top of toast for b-fast, it’s also great on crackers. It warms up in the microwave like a dream or, in moments of hungry desperation, is dandy cold. Happy cooking!

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this Mushroom Bourguignon recipe from the NYT:

And using plant-based substitutions. I think Serious Eats has a similar recipe, as does Smitten Kitchen.

4 Likes

These were perfect - no photos, but they were devoured! Thank you!

3 Likes

Yay! I’m so glad they were a success.

2 Likes

I made hamburgers. mixed the “meat” with onions and pan fried the patty I added lettuce, tomato, onion, nooch, mustard, pickles. it was good.

4 Likes

I experimented a little and we decided the best was a smash-burger-style patty. I find that you can really tell the difference in flavor and texture when it is a thicker patty. So, I made two thin patties and it was terrific. Served with usual stuff–onion, lettuce, tomato, potato bun, ketchup and mayo. Salted it on the outside only. Also, does anyone else think it tastes great, but smells really janky while it’s cooking? Smells ok when it’s done cooking though.

5 Likes