Republique

I’m still bummed I never got to try Sotto’s Chicken Liver Pasta!

Let’s cook?

http://www.sottorestaurant.com/press

(Scroll down for the video.)

1 Like

I am inordinately happy about this. French bistro! It’s going to be great.

1 Like

:fist:

Hi @PorkyBelly

Isn’t that a tasty bite? :kissing_closed_eyes:

Too bad about the quail skin but at least it was juicy & moist. It’s such a tight little bird that it’s hard to have
both.

…and Faces of Death 1978. :grimacing: Coinkydink, I recently had their Berry Rhubarb Crumble.

All I could think was it needs to be warm and with some ice cream. Yours does look brilliant.

3 Likes

Holy shit @attran99 @A5KOBE @Bookwich @TheCookie @Chowseeker1999 @bulavinaka
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwceYDGh0kq/?hl=en

15 Likes

Breakfast tomorrow!

2 Likes

I’ve put in my request.

1 Like

Our friends sadly report:

Mango Pie sold out in less than an hour of them opening up today. :sob:

I blame @PorkyBelly for buying out the entire inventory. :wink:

6 Likes

Oh man, I should have gotten a whole pie.

13 Likes

With Porkybelly in the mix, the mantra becomes: Go big or you’ll regret it. :smiley:

4 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Pie perfection

14 Likes

You got it! :dancer:

1 Like

Going through their IG feed and it looks like it was available this weekend.

1 Like

Between paying close to $50 per person, the line, the communal tables, and the hit and miss food, I’m once again underwhelmed by Republique’s brunch. I keep thinking that it’ll be better the next time I go there, but nope…I come away with the same impression every single time…I guess I’ll only go for dinner from now on.

curried chicken hand pie | raisins, caramelized onions, walnuts, apple, celery, sweet potato

This hardy hand pie has probably been sitting for a little too long so you can tell that the crust is a bit soggy while the filling is just okay. This reminds me of a less well done version of the curried chicken or beef hand pie at Chinese bakeries around Monterey Park.

matcha brioche

It’s got a nice crunchy crust and a buttery interior that’s countered with sweet matcha pastry cream and rasphberry jam. The balance between the savory, sweet, and bitter (matcha powder) elements works really well here.

kouign amann

This KM is quite mediocre despite their good buttery flavor. It’s lacking that exterior crunch that’s so crucial to a good KM. Moreover, the bottom layer of hardened caramel that’s supposed to contribute to more crunch isn’t done evenly so I only got crunch in certain parts.

creme brulee bomboloni
A light and pillowy ball with a caramelized sugar exterior and stuffed with a creme brulee flavored pastry cream. Excellent.

maine lobster omelette | gruyère cheese, tarragon, hollandaise, spinach, arugula and tomato salad

The fresh arugula salad with a simple lemon vinaigrette is very light and refreshing and acts as a counterpoint to the heavier hollandaise doused omelette. The omelette itself is, again, mediocre. In addition to the sparing use of lobster (I can barely taste any), the omelette is a bit overcooked with its texture leaning on the rubbery side despite its nice looking appearance.

quiche | carmelized onion, kale, mushroom, gruyère cheese, baby green salad
Similar to the previous salad, this baby green salad on the side is excellent. The quiche, on the other hand, is quite good with a flavorful crust and a semi-soft egg custard filled with myriad of flavorful but vegetarian friendly ingredients.

shakshouka | wood-oven baked tomatoes & peppers, farm eggs, black kale, chickpeas, yogurt, baguette
I’ve never had shakshouka before but this reminds me of a good tomato soup with a Middle Eastern spice and herb twist. It’s nice to have finally tried it but it’s not something that I would crave for. As for the “best in the city” baguette, it doesn’t deserve that title with their lunch offerings. It’s nothing like the ones I’ve tried during dinner where its crunchy exterior crust contrasted so well with it’s moist and fluffy center. It’s none of that and devolved to being merely average.

3 Likes

Mushroom toast
Smoked salmon tartine
Pie
Berry tres leches

Other items are hit or miss, these items are amazing.

2 Likes

That mushroom toast is so good! I had the lobster omelette last June, and mine had plenty of lobster and was perfectly executed. Sorry to hear about your subpar experience, @moonboy403.
Was the passion fruit cream pie in the counter?

The one with mango? Nope, but I was holding out hope before going there!

My reference seafood omelette is Connie and Ted’s. :drooling_face:

I stopped in for pie on Thursday and they were sold out by 1 pm it made me so sad.

potato and leek beignets, gruyere, horseradish

rodolphe le meunier butter

big eye tuna tartare, imperial kaluga caviar, smoked tomato, toasted baguette

eclairs - duck liver mousse, perigord black truffle, santa barbara pistachios
Didn’t taste much truffle but the slightly sweet and crisp shell paired great with the liver.

spring pea soup

crispy soft-shell crab, green beans, roasted cashews, sweet chile sauce

(new) spring caprese - gioia burrata, kojima farms kiwi, sungold tomatoes
Loved the sweet kiwis

campanelle, maine lobster, preserved meyer lemon, basil
A little bit lighter and brighter than the malfadine version but still delicious.

dover sole a la meuniere - potato mousseline, brown normandy butter, meyer lemon
Delicious firm and sweet meat with a rich sauce and a hit of acid #solefood

side of mashed butter

en croute - strawberry, rhubarb, kumquat, vanilla aka monkey brains
Slightly different prep but still my favorite dessert at republique.

10 Likes