Republique

Nice @PorkyBelly. The Spring Pea Soup looks delicious (as does most everything else). :slight_smile: Was it your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks @Chowseeker1999, it was my friend’s birthday. the soup and everything else was a hit, not a single miss. don’t forget the awesome en croute dessert too.

2 Likes

My goodness :scream:

3 Likes

Fantastic!!!

Your pictures look good enough to eat though!

I have a question. My cousin’s daughter (late 20ish) is coming in from NYC. He wants to take her to Republique. What section would you ask to sit in for this occasion? Thanks!

Loud and more action: main dining room table, non high top, non communal seating

Quiet and dark: upstairs

1 Like

Great!

for a father, daughter dinner i would go with a two-top in the more lively main dining room.

2 Likes

Perfect

1 Like

Finally had the eggs on eggs. Uni was excellent tonight. Sweet, briny and fresh. Great bite of food. One of the best dishes we’ve had in a while.

The 14oz dry aged rib eye was fantastic. Well cooked and great beefy flavor. Fries were a touch salt but excellent. The steak at Republique was considerably better than the dry aged Holstein at Majordomo.

Everything else wonderful as usual. The best bread and butter. Took some home. The salads were perfect. Super seasonal produce like sweet figs. The arugala had a lovely bite.

Republique firing on all cylinders as usual.

4 Likes

Truly a shame they didn’t get a star and yet Bistro Na’s did. I just booked based on your report of the uni. Did you happen to catch if the corn agnolotti was in the menu?

I don’t think the corn agnolotti was on the menu but not 100%. They had the lobster malfadine but we opted to try something new and got the spinach cavatelli with morels. Outstanding. Chewy texture from the al dente cavatelli and lovely copious amounts of morels.

1 Like

corn agnolotti is back on the menu.

4 Likes

Agree. Michelin system is broken.

True dat. I guess Michelin and FTC standards are not aligned, although I am truly flummoxed at how Bistro Na’s got a star.

1 Like

There is a political need to give a Chinese restaurant (especially one in the SGV) one star.

Bistro Na’s looked the part. More so than any other contender.

IMHO it’s the same reason Mister Jiu got theirs. And I actually liked the food at Bistro Na’s more than Mister Jiu’s. Much more.

2 Likes

Going there for my 65th in July. Thanks for the recs!!!

1 Like

The spinach cavatelli is one of my favorite pasta dishes in the city and one of the most underrated, imo. Glad to hear it’s still being executed well; haven’t been in a while. Time to change that!

1 Like

Went there last night for my 65th. Mixed review. Started with bread and pan drippings…as my wife quickly detected they weren’t pan drippings but chicken and beef reductions with brown butter. Tasty but not as advertised.

Still delicious enough that I violated a precept from my youth and ate too much bread. Kills the appetite for later.
Followed it with an amuse bouche of a lovely corn soup with avocado crema, jalapeno oil and toasted pepitas.

Then we had little gems salad…highlight of the night.

Pasta course was corn agnolotti. This was perfectly executed, but too sweet for my taste. I would have chosen the lobster campanelle but my wife doesn’t eat uni (I know but after 31 years you have to adapt).

Our main was the 14 oz. ribeye. This was disappointing. The sauces were great, but for $110 I was expecting a bit more from the beef. Our excellent waitress (service was impeccable) told us it would take 40 minutes. It came out perfectly cooked, but I suspect they sous vided it and then seared it. As @ipsedixit pointed out to me some time ago sous vide is great for some things, but not for beef. I would rather have spent the money on a Snake Rive Farms rib-eye cap, https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/steaks/american-kobe-wagyu-cap-of-ribeye-parent.html and grilled it over blazing hot red oak. It just wasn’t beefy enough for the money. Still we enjoyed it,

Unfortunately we were too full to get the en croute for dessert so ended up with banana ice cream and melon sorbet. A little disappointing, but a lovely night nonetheless.

11 Likes