Republique

Buko Pie is really good, but it’s available year round at Sari Sari.

The pie was very good after refrigerating it overnight. It’s got a light coconut flavor. On the other hand, the combination of layered snappy young coconut, flaky crust, and the crunchy crumbles on top give the pie excellent contrasting mouthfeel.

Two execution flaws kept it from being great…the custard could be much creamier like MPFCP and if you look at the close up picture of the buko pie, you can tell that the bottom crust either didn’t cook through or it got a bit soggy.

4 Likes

HOLE up. They got buko pie at Repubes a couple of blocks away? Someone tell me how I’m supposed to buy things. I have to preorder or some shit or just roll up?

No, it’s only available at Sari Sari.

sari sari
http://sarisaristorela.com/blog/full-buko-pie-orders/

Oh ok. So yea that pie is never going to be forgotten. I either had a spiritual experience or a panic attack or a mini stroke because after I ate half of it after my meal my head spun and I had dizziness for several minutes that wouldn’t pass… I went outride and sat and waited it out… never happened before. I’m going to say it’s buko pie magic and not some event after eating a salt and fat bomb of a rice and pork dish

4 Likes

I ordered on at 3PM and I got a notification that said it’s ready to be picked up at 4PM. The cashier at Sari Sari was wearing a Republique shirt. lol.

1 Like

Had the pie. First bite i was a little disappointed that it was more cream than passionfruit. I agree with whoever said it would be better if the proportions were reversed. But by the end of my second piece I was a big fan!

Yep, @moonboy403, your photo of the crunchy, crumble topping on the Coconut Pie sparked my tastebuds, and I did notice the bottom crust looked off. But, can I make a FTC confession and not be kicked off the Republique thread? Okay. I don’t think crust is Chef’s strong suit :grimacing:… or maybe it’s a matter of preference. I absolutely love Republique’s pastries & desserts and the MPFCP is off the hook. But, I like a softer, buttery, flakier crust and their pie crusts are a little dry and hard to cut.

2 Likes

I would have to agree with you on the crust at least for the mango passion fruit pie, it’s too hard for me and difficult to cut with a fork (like eating a steak or something with fork and knife) and I would prefer a flakier crust but I think it does allow for better protection of the filling as it sits there all day.

1 Like

True, but I think they do too good a job protecting it from the wet filling, because it’s still hard hours later. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I cut the pie once into 8 slices and eat it like NY pizza. No fork required.

#HandPieGang

Pie is so good even my dad gave it a positive review

11 Likes

Love the innovation!

New menu

– Just-Baked French Baguette with Rodolphe le Meunier Normandy Butter
– Munak Ranch Black Brandywine and Sungold Tomatoes, Watermelon, Lesbos Feta, Olive Oil and Basil
– Brentwood Corn Succotash, Roasted Thao Farms Sweet Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Long Beans and Coleman Farms Zucchini
– Duck Fat-Roasted Weiser Farms Baby Fingerling Potatoes with Mustard-Calabrian Chili Aïoli
– Liberty Farms Sonoma Duck Breast and Leg Confit with Summer Stone Fruits and Black Pepper-Hibiscus Duck Jus
– Almond Brown Butter Cake with Lemon Curd and Pudwill Farms Blueberries

4 Likes

Even days later, the crust is in tact. It’s one of the things I really love about that pie. It’s structurally sound, and I like how Chef Manzke bakes it longer to achieve a darker color…you can taste the bitter-caramel-y flavor. It adds to the greatness of the pie.

5 Likes

Pies can only be ordered by emailing a cake form now. @Chowseeker1999

https://republiquela.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48e5d327a95e80b197116365c&id=615d0f864f&e=f36ad48ad4

3 Likes

Sounds like an improvement for pies. I hope they keep their takeout window for tock preorders tho.

@A5KOBE, i fixed the cake order form for you:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Interesting. Yeah, it could be a matter of preference and she knows exactly what she’s doing and it’s exactly how she wants it to be. They make a totally different crust on the Hand Pies, so she obviously knows her stuff. I just don’t love it. I wish it was a firmer version of the Hand Pie crust or a firmer version of Clementine’s perfect Quiche crust. But I digress… I still :hearts: the MPFCP!

3 Likes