Republique

Back in stock again - snagged one for Saturday

2 Likes

first of the season mpfcp. trying the mango separately (for @J_L research) i would say they’re still a bit early, but eating everything together is still an incredible bite. the whole is tastier than the sum of its parts definitely applies here.

it should only get better from here as the mangoes reach their prime.

17 Likes

The Sawtelle Japantown branch of HK-based mango-forward dessert slinger Hui Lau Shan is suffering from out-of-season mangoes these days. I’ll probably return in April to see if they can shine…

9 Likes

What’s up with Republique? Web site says open for dining, but the reservation link goes to Opentable, which seems to have nothing.

They were there yesterday but today seems offline. I was eyeballing a Monday night. Guess I should’ve booked it.

Probably just a reopening SNAFU, then.

Rezzies are back up

1 Like

Outdoor only. I wonder if they have plans to seat inside?

Saw about 4-5 tables inside today. All the way in the back.

3 Likes

hi @TheCookie

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM2pV0-D1Bh/

6 Likes

Looks good – what is it?

Chicken pot pie served in the cafe 11-2.

Looking forward to Chef’s tasting menu next weekend! Been awhile!

First meal inside a building other than my house in a year. Highlights:

baguette and butter: to split hairs I preferred Petit Trois’s butter (more cultured?)
veg with romesco: dates were a nice touch
lobster camanelle: someday I’ll go back alone and get two orders

Great wine list, generally very high prices but some good values. We drank a 2016 Apremont ($66, twice the retail price when it was still available a few years ago) and a 2007 Pfalz Gewürztraminer Spätlese ($75, 3X retail 10+ years ago).

We were seated in the back room, and the ceiling of the big room was not lit up, so we weren’t really getting the full experience.

8 Likes

excellent 7 for 7 tasting menu from chef manzke, not a single miss.

kaluga caviar, maine lobster, cauliflower

duck liver torchon, kumquats, hazelnuts, baby greens
rich, buttery and smoother than michael jackson on ice. loved the kumquats to balance things out.

just-baked margarita’s baguette, rodolphe le méunier normandy butter
the cat’s pajamas

european white asparagus, morel mushrooms, english peas, sauce hollandaise
asparagus was tender and delicious but the morels stole the scene.

casarecce pasta, pork belly sausage, black winter truffle
I could have eaten four bowls of this.

wolfe ranch quail, anson mills polenta, baby turnips, salmis sauce
quail was tender and juicy with nice char. and where has salmis sauce been my whole life? pretty sure it had chunks of bone marrow in it, delicious. shout out to the sweet baby turnips.

harry’s berries, avocado, calamansi
chef margarita does it again with another fantastic dessert. this was like a two layer panna cotta with lightly macerated strawberries on top. highlight.

21 Likes

Anyone try this yet?

4 Likes

Haven’t tried that, but I did like their ube mango roll, the black sesame mango eclair, and the banana coffee toffee cream puff.

Also liked their chocolate chip cookie. Thanks to those who recommended it in the death match thread.

10 Likes

tried the chicken for the first time and it was a solid chicken, but the side of anson mills polenta that came with it, blew my mind, best I’ve ever had. almost tasted like robuchon potatoes.

everything else was consistently great.

potato and leek soup, chive oil

rodolphe le meunier butter, normandy france

blue fin tuna tartare, kaluga caviar, smoked tomato, toasted baguette

eggs on toast - soft scrabbled eggs, santa barbara uni

potato and leek beignet

campanelle, maine lobster, preserved meyer lemon, basil

mary’s organic chicken, grilled broccoli di ciccio, anson mills polenta, roasted chicken jus

pavlova, honey sweet mangoes, passion fruit, basil

16 Likes

Love that butter so much. Epicurus carries it from time to time.

2 Likes

Peony: We really enjoyed our meal at Republique as always. Porcini mushroom soup was simply delicious. Oysters were fresh and juicy. Tomatoes and cucumbers in the salad were super tasty. Highly recommend the cheese plates if you love gourmet cheeses! Also remarkable selection of wine and very knowledgeable sommelier ! All makes Republique one of our favorite restaurants in LA!

Warrior: I have nothing negative to say about Republique (except some aspects of service). I think it was unfairly snubbed for a a Michelin star. All the food has always been very good.

4 Likes