Republique

I had what is likely my first mini stroke or some sort of a severe blood pressure event once i finished the Buko pie at Sari after a bowl of awesome salty porky eggy rice dish. I thought I was high with europhoria because Buko Pie is good, had to walk out and sit down for 10 minutes. Never happened to me before. I say the pie is THAT GOOD

8 Likes

Go get that checked out, homie.

7 Likes

I’m with @J_L. Would hate to lose you!

2 Likes

No issues in last physical. Guess I’ll ask for something thorough if it happens again. Was more of a funny story about my love for buko

8 Likes

Okay my friend don’t scare us. I had a heart attack and was dead for six minutes at 47. I would hate for that to happen to anyone else. @J_L and @CiaoBob regularly save idiots like us. Back to pie…

6 Likes

I know this is in the area we spent 15 years in but I can’t seem to pick a cool place for pre-dinner drinks today. Nothing until like 3rd street is coming to mind. Where would you go?

1 Like

Bari?

Yea there are multiple options around Bari. Carmen would be my first choice. But it feels far

1 Like

Little Bar? All Season?

Yep, those are the 2 i thought of but I’m with a decidedly non sporty or fratty type friends today. Maybe Commerson bar.

Haven’t been to candela in a long time but looks like they remodeled. Also met him/her at a bar one of them has cocktails while the other is brunch.

Also a little further over but possibly the lacma courtyard?

2 Likes

How about Genwa?

Oh candela. Good shout. I know the owners pretty well.

1 Like

You win. Had to be this block. Parking is lol now

4 of us had a really good time there. Backroom was dark and quiet… almost lacking atmosphere type of space this time. But I was glad we didn’t get the communal table they said we’d be at.

You all have gone through so many of the dishes i wont be able to add much but i’ll share 4 of the 10+ we went through briskly.

perfect lobster pasta

boys loved the smoked fish salad… i didn’t get enough to care. (sharing plates my ass)

perfect dover sole with a bad photo

I was really into the mushroom sauced arugula pasta also.

Biggest revelation were the spot prawns. Couldnt believe it! Never had this good.

13 Likes

Does anybody know if Republique is still doing free pasta with red sauce for the kiddos? Just curious. It’s been a while.

Damn, I saw that arugula pasta and for a second thought they’d brought back their spinach cavatelli. Still, looks like an adjacent concept… might need to take a trip and try it.

1 Like

Going to watch football games Sunday morning and picking my friend up at the SLS hotel. Republique is the best place to get morning pastries in the area? Just wanted to make sure I’m not over complicating this.

2 Likes

Yes.

Chaumont is another good bet.

2 Likes