Restaurant Openings in San Diego 2015

I hate when the lighting is too bright and I have unscrewed those damn bulbs since it is always better to dine under soft lighting…
They all need dimmer switches!
:bulb:

No. And I intend to keep it that way.

Why? What do you know?

The Local Habit has now reopened as a taco bar, La Vicindad. The taco takeover seems relentless.

It the new burger concept

Striders in the Gaslamp is open.

New burger concept?

Is that even possible?

I think that Diva meant that tacos are the new “burger”, if that makes sense.

I think you’re right, and I’m happy to see it.

We tried Entrada today and were by-and-large disappointed.

The place is quite large, with numerous booths surrounding a central bar. The front end, entirely populated with wood high-tops and with large windows that open to the sidewalk, made for a nice atmosphere with a real Mexican feeling to it.

But everything we had to eat there was uninteresting. The only exception, really, was the hot sauce that came with the complimentary chips. That, while pretty much one-dimensional, was impressively spicy, and we enjoyed it.

The menu was nothing like what we’d seen online, and that was the first disappointment. Several interesting-sounding things were missing. My companion ordered the ceviche, which came on a large plate with a generous amount of fish (red snapper) in one pile and the “rest” in another pile. I use quotes because the “rest” was like a pico de gallo, but lacked sufficient cilantro, onion, and minced chilies. The two piles covered half of a large dinner plate; the other half was covered with more chips. She mixed the two piles before eating, of course. We both agreed that it was pretty boring. No “snap” to the snapper.

I ordered three tacos for $10, which is a pretty good deal these days. I chose carnitas, adobada, and camaron. Like the ceviche, none of these had any punch to them The carnitas was good, the best of the three, but it really needed something. Lime juice helped. They don’t have any hot sauces or pico de gallo (according to our server) and the only hot sauce available is what comes with the chips. So I asked for a spoon for it, and when that never came, I ended up using chips to scoop some out. The hot sauce helped a lot.

The adobada had a glimmer of interest to it with a thin slice of pineapple and what was perhaps sour cream on top. The real problem here was that the amount piled onto the tortilla was so great that it was impossible to fold it to make a taco. I really wish these meals that people pile on top of a tortilla would be divided between two or more tortillas. Or serve the filling and tortillas separately. At least you could make them into manageable tacos that way. As it was, I had to eat much of this one with a fork, and missed the mingling of the toppings flavors with the meat for most of it.

Finally, the camaron taco. Well, that’s all I can think to say about it.

The tortillas were the thick kind, and a nice size (maybe five inches). They held up well, except when trying to eat the adobada.

We both had on-tap Modelo Especial which was close to flat.

Really, just stay away from that place.

If you listen to only one thing that I say from this point forward, let that be it.

Really, what’s the reason behind your summary condemnation of this place? I can’t recall when you’ve spoken out so strongly in this way.

We didn’t care for what we had (and don’t plan to return). And we didn’t appreciate the almost-flat beer. Or the spotty service. But for some – those who want to keep up-to-date with the “trend of the moment” (to use DD’s expression) but actually like boring food – it might be just the ticket.

Galaxy this isn’t, but it’s not a Carl’s Jr. Green Burrito either.

So what’s the issue?

Who likes boring food ?

Enough to keep many of the 7000 restaurants in the SD area going. (I didn’t make up that number, btw.)

I see - I thought you meant people who actively look for boring food

He himself said it. In other words, because he said so. What more do we need?

Iowans.

[Sorry, old joke. Maybe the Diva remembers it. LOL]

That used to be the old joke about Long Beach, otherwise known as “Iowa-by-the-sea”. Whenever on the very rare occasions that Iowa football team came out to play in the Rose Bowl, they thought they were the home team because of their fan base down in Long Beach.

1 Like

Same thing for San Diego. I think half of Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas migrated to San Diego after WWII when the guys were discharged from the Navy and realized staying in San Diego was a whale of a lot better than going back to the farm and winters in the mid-west

Aw, c’mon DD.