Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

I’ve been thinking about Iki. Will do!

2 Likes

That’s funny - I’m almost ordered last night from Ronan the same salad you had and a pizza, but never got around to it and just made my own dinner. Would you order the salad again? Now I’m also doubtful about the pizza based on your report.

1 Like

Yah, I saw you mentioned wanting to get their salad and made sure to report about it. You’re very discerning so I hesitate to recommend. :wink: I really liked the actual salad ingredients and dressings and the greens were far from bad but could’ve been fresher. I think our mistake was ordering delivery on a Friday night during a restaurant lockdown.

I am not the person whose advice you should take on Pizza. I get that big, chewy, blistery, charred lips is the sign of a true Neapolitan Pizza, but I’m not feeling it as much as others and haven’t had a lot to compare. Pizzeria Mozza (which I love) doesn’t count because it’s not exactly the equivalent. I did note that Ronan’s dough is pretty sourdough forward. :slightly_smiling_face: And we did like the fresh sauce a lot. @Chowseeker1999 @Nemroz @lapizzamaven and others can do a better job explaining how Ronan’s Pizza stacks up to others. I’m curious too.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that the salad wasn’t that great. Doesn’t sound like you would go out of your way to order it again. Back in the day, I used to get salads delivered from Sotto (where the chef from Ronan came from) and the salads were always amazing, even with delivery, so I was hoping it might be the same.

Maybe I will stick with Kiriko this weekend. Last weekend I picked up some sushi and it came with a salad that I wasn’t in the mood for, so I threw it in the fridge and I was shocked when I pulled it out the following day – a day later, even pre-dressed, it was quite good. Nothing to complain about with that salad and that was just a throwaway salad that came with the sushi.

No I wouldn’t. But like I said it may have been the timing. It was a busy Friday night and the poor deliverer seemed very harried. Also, I’m weird about restaurant salads from the git-go, so.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks for the report back. :slight_smile: Yah, the words “doughy and chewy” doesn’t sound very appetizing to me, either. :sweat: Thanks for taking one for the team.

1 Like

@TheCookie, thank you for those instructions because I just had my Ronan delivery through DoorDash and I didn’t get any instructions and wouldn’t have known how to reheat the pizza.

For an extremely early dinner (with Pandemic Time I barely know what day it is, much less what time to eat), I got the Ronan Margherita pizza with $2 add-on of anchovies and $2 add-on of calabrian chili. Of my two pandemic pizza orders (Pizzana and Antico) and my one recent pre-pandemic pizza delivery order (Roberta’s), I definitely rate the Ronan #1. While it didn’t reach the heights of my favorite pizza – Marta in NYC, which makes a very thin, almost cracker like crust and uses amazing cheese - I thought it was a very nice pizza and I have had Marta via delivery and even that sublime pizza suffers from delivery. However, I would not add on anchovies again - I love anchovies, but these were too salty. With the calabrian chili, I thought I was getting flakes, but instead I got some oil. However, I liked the flavor of the oil, although it made the pizza even more soupy since you were dousing it with oil. I’m guessing at the restaurant, the oil may be added before cooking. But anyway the Ronan pizza was the best of my recent delivery pizzas. The tomato sauce was not too sweet – a pet peeve of mine - and the cheese quality was good.

I also had the Caesar salad, which was fine. It didn’t reach the heights of my favorite Caesar – Chi Spacca – but I’m guessing that even the Chi Spacca Caesar would suffer from delivery.

I also got an order of Ferrando Lambrusco, which at $30 was only $6 above retail, and which was a terrific textbook Lambrusco. So if you want to support Ronan, wine is definitely a way to go.

To keep in the pantry, I ordered from Ronan a loaf of sourdough bread and some cultured butter and will report back once I try them. (I ended up tossing the very expensive cultured grassfed New Zealand butter with garlic and chives that I ordered on Friday from the Beverly Hills Cheese Store. Some things are perhaps better in theory than execution and that stuff was just gross and tasted like someone had added burned garlic “flavoring” to the butter. I hate to throw away food, but even the smell of that butter made me nauseous, so into the trash it went.)

Where I would say that the Ronan order broke down was the delivery execution. Nothing was bagged, although I would have gladly paid more for a bagged option. I always opt for contactless delivery, but here I figured that because of the alcohol order, they would at least need to eyeball me. So I went outside on the street to meet the dasher. He did not have on a mask (I did have on a mask, although I have read that where you wear a mask and the other person does not and you do not have a “real” mask – i.e., a N95 mask – and the other person is infected, your chances of being infected are 70%.). He did have on gloves, which didn’t mean a lot to me because I think there are real cross-contamination issues with gloves. Anyway, he was carrying the wine in one hand and the pizza box, salad box and bread and butter in the other hand. Lots of points of contact. If Ronan had only bagged the stuff, it would have felt safer. As I said, I would gladly pay more for a bagged option.

Maybe next time I get a craving for pizza, I will go pick it up.

1 Like

Totally, there are two factors… Investors who are more focused on their pantry of ‘hot chefs’ and are happy to do the outlay, but then leave them to sink or sink… And we all benefited from the stagnation of wages which has kept the cost of eating out lower than it should be and now there is a generation that is used to eating out a lot more than those prior…

Late to the party, but just had Chef Sugishita’s chirashi and it was fantastic. I didn’t realize he delivered the sushi himself, really great guy putting a labor of love into each box. The portion is incredibly generous, and gotta love the cake-like tamago.

10 Likes

In today’s taco news:

Angels in NoHo alive and people appear to be socially distancing in line

Angels silver lake shut down and moved to echo park

Pablitos NoHo in the circus liquor plaza also alive. No worries about social distancing because nobody there

2 Likes

See? @Omotesando, I told you not to listen to me about pizza. I’m glad you liked Ronan. Nice Lambrusco tip.

Too bad about your order not being bagged. Unusual for delivery. When I went to signup with DoorDash for the first-time 20% off I found I was already a member. I stuck with my usual Postmates. The drinks, salad & dessert were bagged and the deliverer was wearing a mask.

1 Like

Chef Avner back at it with cento pasta bar

We got the baguette with burrata, prosciutto filled tortellini, carbonara and the tiramisu.

All very good, maybe a little under-sauced though (could have been the 20min travel). Burrata definitely didn’t travel that well. :confused: figured that was the case before but the lady still wanted it

He’s cooking out of a kitchen in the arts district, order on postmates. Drove out there from West Hollywood to pick up.

10 Likes

Haven’t seen any mention of Scopa in Venice yet. We got takeout from their marketplace menu (I think that’s what they call it) yesterday and were very pleased. Good QPR. The lasagna and Brussels sprouts salad (each $14) was the perfect amount of food for two people. Also good sized container of marinated olives and six meatballs w/ sauce (each $10 iirc) that we haven’t tried yet. And three bottles of wine since they had some interesting selections at or below retail prices. Lasagna was frozen solid, which I didn’t expect. Hence no pictures - took close to an hour to heat it through and we were really really hungry.

Great meal from Bavel. Probably best take out experience I’ve had during the quarantine. Lamb schwarma crisped up perfectly in the oven. Beets with whipped feta was delicious, and their pita and hummus amba was great. Also bought a frozen pack of pita for home.

3 Likes

The couscous is insanely good at Bavel. For some reason that stands out the most for me from my last meal there

Were there any dessert offerings from Genevieve?

Yes, there was a coconut custard with dates/prunes. To be honest, I didn’t love it.

1 Like

Thanks for the report @Haeldaur. How was their portion size? Bavel’s website says it’s for 2 (or more) people, but for your order, would you say it was accurate? Thanks.

Yes for sure it was enough for two of us. We had half the lamb left.

Note: We put the wrong kind of bread under the lamb and next the the hummus in the picture. Those need to be swapped.

Dessert was good to me.

4 Likes

Yes. It’s a lot of food. I think it’s a pretty good deal and pretty much everything was as good as it is in the restaurant, which is rare. I’ve had a lot of take out letdowns during the quarantine; this was not a letdown

1 Like

Had Play Mesa delivered this weekend. Awesome. Shrimp tacos, carnitas, and short rib enchiladas were all on point. Probably my favorite Mexican in OC right now… aside from my lovely bride.

2 Likes