Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Not a good pic, but Chiang Mai in Valley Village is great. Spicy eggplant, kang ho (a new dish for us), and the khai soi w/ sausage. Even though the noodles are packed separately, steaming occurs w/ the crispy noodle portion, so that was unfortunate. The kang ho is decently funky in that uniquely SE Asia way, but not overpoweringly so. Only prob was that some of the bamboo shoots are VERY wide and long, which doesn’t exactly make for the most pleasant chewing experience. The eggplant was certainly better than my local Thai place, although I don’t how much more one can say about eggplant (and I say this as an eggplant fan).

Food was ordered medium but had a good amount of heat. Chili heads would probably be happy w/ spicy. Driving each way only took about 30 min at 7PM from the westside. Bwahahahaha.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a good crispy rice salad to-go, or is it fruitless b/c of steaming?

BTW, Belle Vie is returning next wk for some take out items. It’s already open, if you want to buy wine.

7 Likes

I toast mine up when I get home. I’ve also been known to immediately open the package and take out the crispy noodles while still in the restaurant for this exact reason.

Also free drink with $25 purchase until 5/30.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE - I recently found out you can buy additional broth for $4!!!

7 Likes

F*ck me. I specifically didn’t finish the broth yesterday b/c I didn’t want to be a pig b/c I was supposed to “share.” Def will be ordering extra broth!!!

Is that the BBQ beef? How is it? We keep on ordering “wrong” almost every time we do Thai (not balancing out the spicy w/ the non-spicy).

1 Like

It is a great place, and I give credit to @Ns1 for its discovery.

1 Like

So glad to hear this. I was pretty worried the virus would be their last soiree.

1 Like

Since Onda closed I’ve been toying with the idea of driving to the old stomping grounds in NoHo to get crispy rice takeout from Sri Siam but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Maybe this weekend.

Sri Siam! I think that’s the place where I had an exemplary crispy rice salad several yrs ago.

You know, w/ traffic being so light (for now), I think it’s worth a trip. :slight_smile: I also vaguely recall Sri Siam having a good whole deep-fried fish (although I imagine that def wouldn’t travel well).

I checked Onda’s IG to see if there were any updates about re-opening; nothing listed. I do hope they make it and keep the concept that had just prior to closing. I really loved what they were doing. ::sigh::

That whole fish - which I LOVE - does travel much better than anticipated.
It’s been maybe five years (so things may have changed) since I picked one up and brought it to the Westside.
So I probably did not taste it for about 45 minutes after pickup, and it was still pretty crispy and VERY tasty. IIRC, they put the fried fish and herbs in a styrofoam container with vents carved out to prevent steaming.

5 Likes

I was able to snag a 7p Shunji pickup for Sat. Anything else worthwhile nearby?

1 Like

It’s been around ten years, but there was one time when I ordered it delivery, and the guy literally came into the house and showed us how to best set things up. It was sublime. You don’t get that from Postmates.

2 Likes

You are already set for sushi, but if you want dessert, you could call ahead and order ice cream from Kiriko for dessert. When I have sushi at Kiriko, I love concluding my meal with their homemade ice cream, so I’m sure it would go just as well with the Shunji sushi.

1 Like

Raku, Dialogue, Pasjoli, Felix?

battera
gjusta

2 Likes

Get a 1/2+1/2 container of Ken-san’s homemade blood orange sorbet with his outstanding vanilla ice cream. Mix the two to your preferred proportions, and please report back!

2 Likes

Does Shunji sell their ice cream and sorbets? those were also fantastic.

1 Like

I missed this one, dammit. Which of you FTCers snagged them all??

3 Likes

Belle Vie’s pick up menu:

2 Likes

I love Belle Vie but that’s a sad looking menu.

2 Likes

Did Valle last night. Enjoyable. Standouts to me were the quesadilla and birria

Which restaurant is this?

We’ll see if this is just a first iteration. My understanding was that the owner was very reluctant to open at all, so I’ll take what I can get from them.

1 Like