Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

omg, the dream is back

details? Where is this posted? I don’t see it on their instagram. Thanks!

IG stories - gone after 24H I think.

Thank you! I’ll need to keep an eye out for it.

fine but you all will have @chrishei to thank.

3 Likes

Were they sold out on tock?

1 Like

I’m guessing so. They open it up by day and there was no longer a Friday option to select. Just Saturday, Sunday and another day next week.
In hindsight, I should have gone to Jon & Vinny’s. I forgot about them until just right now. I’ll be back in the early morning…tried to do an online order, but the first pick up window is at 9AM. That’s too late for me…I’ll already be home by then.

2 Likes

Jon and vinnys slots fill up quick I tried to order on a Thursday and they told me my food wouldn’t be ready until 930 when I called in at 7

1 Like

not a restaurant per se, but carnitas el momo is up and available for takeout. follow them on instagram to know when & where. they gave me a free taco while waiting. even unadorned by salsa, onions, etc. it was really good.

tacos are now $3, but look how much meat there is:

comes with salsa, jalapenos, onions. i was pleasantly stuffed.

9 Likes

Jackson Kalb from Jame Enoteca:

https://medium.com/@chef.jackson.kalb/how-delivery-apps-and-google-are-screwing-restaurants-b4586195d576

7 Likes

The Grove’s Take the Scenic Route was a bust. Way too many cars… somehow not surprised. Anyway, on our way to the beach. Need TACOS, Westsiders! Any ideas?

2 Likes

So disheartening (but important) to read. I’m totally happy to order directly from the restaurant, but having a contactless payment option (even when I pick up myself) would be nice to have.

3 Likes

Did broken spanish last night. Short ribs with their tortillas–totally delicious. Albondigas in a bacon sauce and a side of spicy carrots, also great. Salad was a waste of time. But the 9 cocktails for ~$65 were really great. Loved the Oaxacan remedy. When this is all over, we need to keep this delivery/takeout cocktail option. It fucking rocks.

6 Likes

Won’t most restaurants take your credit card over the phone? That’s what Kiriko will do.

Most independent restaurants with unsophisticated websites might have trouble with this, but I wonder if there is a simple way to just put a Paypal link on a website and people could prepay through Paypal for those who don’t feel comfortable rattling off their credit card info over the phone. Call them up, give them your order, get the total including sales tax and then go to the website and pay through Paypal. There is no monthly charge to use Paypal, although Paypal does charge something like 3% of the sale, but then so do credit card issuers when you run a credit card transaction. Also when someone pays, Paypal immediately sends out an email verification, so the restaurant would have confirmation before handing over your order.

2 Likes

Good article. I had no idea: “And yes, even if a guest picks up food from our restaurant themselves, delivery apps still take 15% or more!”

I’ve been a prolific user of delivery apps for years just because of the convenience of it, but as someone who wants independent restaurants to survive, I have resolved to change my ways. I’m quite aware of what thin margins restaurants work on and it seems like especially in this environment, we have to get rid of the middleman or woman in order for independent restaurants to survive.

I’ve been a big fan for years of fast food The Green Olive in West L.A. and would usually do DoorDash. Now that I truly understand, I’m going to go pick up myself. It’s actually easier to go pick up now than in the pre-COVID. One of the reasons I would use DoorDash for The Green Olive so often in the past even though I liked going to the restaurant because the owner was so nice and no matter how long since I had been in would recognize me was that parking was horrible in the crowded minimall. With dine in closed and adjacent office buildings probably mostly empty, I"m sure now that parking is a breeze.

7 Likes

Teddy’s Red Tacos in Venice on Windward (birrea de res); Tacos Por Favor on Hampton off Abbott Kinney; the new Valle on Abbott Kinney (where MTN used to be).

1 Like

Yay! We are almost at Abbott Kinney on our way to Teddy’s. Any preference between the two?

1 Like

Doing Pop-up if we can!

2 Likes

Might be a moot point now as you asked this an hour ago. Tacos For Favor offers the most variety but Valle is definitely worth trying (though I found the pollo taco too dry) and preferred the carne asada) albeit pricier. Teddy’s is good but I would choose one of the other two over it–though it has the advantage of being closer to the beach.

1 Like

Don’t forget felix

1 Like