Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Yes, now that you mention it, I think the hummus is better at Hummus Bar and Grill. Mizlala is almost there – just needs a little more oompth. Chicken really good though and huge portion (not that I didn’t eat it all anyway).

1 Like

Yeah… when I read your post I knew exactly what you are taking about. :rofl: and why I mainly order the sandwiches at Mizlala rather than the plates. Next time you order… Get a Sandwich and one of their amazing veggie sides. We had the mushrooms this past week and they were amazing.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Has anyone tried Haidilao delivery? I’m tempted, but yet to see or hear anything about the at-home experience.

A few more questions:

• what’s my best bet for izakaya takeout on the westside?
  • has anyone gotten japanese or korean bbq takeout (park’s, manpuku, etc)? Does it come cooked, or do you grill-at-home?

We liked Kappo Osen a lot when we got takeout last week, and Takuma is always solid

Just to add… Taku has finally put a pic of his regular menu on the website. Eat24 (or whatever app he’s using) doesn’t have the full menu. If there’s something you want from the regular menu that’s not on Eat24, just call to ask if it’s available. We find it easier just to call in the whole order for Takuma.

I’ve never had it for takeout, but Izakaya Sasaya is excellent. The chicken karaage is crispy, juicy perfection. I’m positive it would hold up well for takeout. Also really love the miso eggplant and the potato salad - I believe the latter has bits of abaraki sausage and is really special.

9 Likes

@mchen - thanks for reminding me, I used to love Sasaya when I lived down the street.

@bruins - never tried Takuma, but always intrigued driving by! Will give it a try. FWIW, I had lunch at Kappo Osen back in December when they were new, and wasn’t really into it, but maybe they’ve worked it out?

1 Like

For me the biggest standout at Osen was the skewers, so I’d check those out if you go there. Selfishly though you should go to Takuma because we live around the block and we would like them to stay around for a long time :slight_smile:

1 Like

And Taku is such a nice guy.

I wasn’t a Kappo Osen fan on my one visit.
Cannot recall the details but it felt too fusiony - despite having a trad Japanese look and menu.
I would rather eat Westside Izakaya Hero, Nanbankan, or Yakitori ya.

4 Likes

Went there once recently to pick up a sashimi platter (which was very good). The owner (or the person I assume is the owner) seemed super sweet.

@Mr_Meatballs: I’m certainly not an izakaya connoisseur, but I do feel like Takuma has a bit of an idiosyncratic take on izakaya. But the price is reasonable and the food is tasty, so I’m a fan. Really like the soboro rice and the 1-lb grilled chicken leg. Also like the garlic shrimp noodle (wish the portion were larger).

1 Like

I still enjoy Aburiya Raku’s bento box takeout.

He is the owner/chef and he’s a great guy.
Despite their huge loss in business due to COVID-19, he insisted on making Bentos for staff at St Johns Hospital. As he put it he made them, “for the REAL Heros.”
I got to enjoy a fried chicken bento that was fantastic.
Bento Delivery

Kara-age Bento

Whenever I go there I see numerous Japanese chefs and restaurant workers enjoying his food - it’s really better known to insiders than to the general public. The whole sushi team from Hamasaku was having dinner when I did last week. He needs the @Chowseeker1999 review to launch his career!

14 Likes

A breakfast fail delivery from Superba, a place I had not previously tried. Woke up craving a breakfast burrito. Superba may have been the worst breakfast burrito I have ever had.

It sounded interesting – eggs/ quinoa/ cheddar/ refried lentils/ avocado/ greens/ smoked hot sauce vinaigrette – but it was completely tasteless and if there were any avocado, it was well hidden. The “smoked hot sauce vinaigrette” tasted exactly like sweet barbecue sauce and was jarring with the burrito unless you like sugary barbecue sauce. Also, there is a point where the portion is too generous and this was the biggest burrito I have ever seen, which just kind of added to the feeling of a big hunk of tasteless glop.

I ordered a Caesar salad to have later for lunch and it was just okay and not worth $16.50.

Not sure what’s up with that place. Maybe their baked goods are the thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBy1Gy0DjUm/

6 Likes

Excelente.

Looks like this is the last weekend for République takeout dinner.

Yeah, this is in my immediate future with Cake Monkey for dessert!

@Dommy, what vegetables do you like other than the mushrooms? I ordered the cauliflower tonight and it just wasn’t good at all and was dumped into the trash. It was overly charred tasting burnt, and was flat and flavorless except for the burnt flavor. Not what I was expecting.

I did order a sandwich rather than a plate, but next time I think I would stick with a plate because the sandwich was just too soggy. Not sure if that is a delivery thing or just the nature of the beast.

Crispy Broccoli is out of this world.
Love their Brussels Sprouts.
And I consider falafel a vegetable, and that’s great too.

3 Likes

I join the chorus of support for Mizlala.

The chicken and salmon are good.