Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

I guess that might end up being really good for our dining scene - if we ever return to folks opening up interesting projects and shit.

1 Like

I’m no longer in LA proper - King Taco would be leagues better than anything I have out here.

1 Like

That was essentially his point. He shouted out the bean burrito specifically.

2 Likes

He’s a New Yawka.

2 Likes

Some people like King Taco? :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Hah! We all probably have places we like that some consider trash! :raised_hand:t4:

1 Like

Yup. Like Tokyo Fried Chicken. @PorkyBelly

My favorite is someone’s garbage.

2 Likes

Isaan Station - Koreatown

Kai Yang - Grilled Turmeric Spiced Chicken

Not quite as crispy w/takeout but still a must order! :hearts::hearts:

Pad See Ew + Tofu

You know why pad see ew is a popular mainstream favorite? Because it’s satisfying & it tastes really good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pad Kra Prao - Minced Beef, Chilis, Basil

Yummy with some goood sauce underneath to soak the rice. Hubs loved. :yum:

Met Him At A Bar - (formerly Rascals on La Brea)

Pasta brother to Met Her At A Bar across the street. Our first time checking them out. Really friendly. Good start.

Paccheri Beef Bolognese

I’m not a paccheri or penne fan so I’m not a good judge, but they do make great pockets for delicious sauce! :hearts:

14 Likes

La Cevicheria - Arlington Heights

Aguachile (medium spice) - Shrimp, Cucumber, Red Onion, Lime, Chilis, Cilantro, Avocado, Extra Avocado!

I’ll cheat a bit with Mariscos Jalisco now in the ‘hood, but will stay loyal to LC. The Oriana’s are so happy & welcoming and have scratched our neighborhood ceviche itch for a while now. :hearts:

16 Likes

Sergio? Is that you

1 Like

Making my way through the Hinoki & the Bird menu. Tonight Postmates brought cod and roasted maitake mushrooms. Both were absolutely delicious and suffered no noticed degradation as a result of the delivery process. Dinner felt exactly like the “old days” pre-Covid where you could go waltz into a nice restaurant and have a delicious meal. However, I will say that the cod portion was tiny and that I was glad I had added on the maitake mushrooms, and even with both dishes, the meal wasn’t enough. So I guess that is different from the “old days” when if you were at a restaurant and you were still hungry, you would just order something additional for the table.

On a prior occasion I ordered the lobster roll from Hinoki & the Bird and that one was a miss. It clearly was not a delivery dish – you got this wrapped split roll and then a tub of this mayonnaisey lobster and you were supposed to spoon the lobster on the roll – but even apart from the annoyance of it all, I wasn’t impressed by the finished dish.

Also tried on a prior occasion Hinoki & the Bird’s heirloom tomato toast - another awkward delivery dish-- but at least on that one the flavors were marvelous. You get a piece of toast and then a tub of marinated tomatoes and you spoon the tomatoes on the toast and then you get a separate tub of delicious gazpacho. It was too much work because if I wanted to spoon things together, I would cook for myself, but, as I said, the flavors were delicious.

Also ordered Hinoki & the Bird’s fried chicken again. Good again, but not as delicious as the first time I ordered it (and not as generous a portion). The first time I ordered it, it was completely saturated with red chili flecks and it was amazing. The last two times, it felt like whoever cooked it used a less generous hand with the chili. I kind of imagined all the old rich people who live in the fancy condos surrounding Hinoki & the Bird complaining that the chicken was too spicy and the restaurant deciding it better dumb the dish down… Maybe they should offer a spicy version and an old people version (maybe that sounds ageist. :slight_smile:)

Also ordered yesterday from Hasiba on Pico. WTF is up with that place? I just don’t get it. I went there once pre-pandemic and wasn’t impressed, but I thought I would try again. I ordered the falafel plate and got these dried out completely flavorless hockey pucks masquerading as falafel. Even my favorite fast food restaurant Green Olive – unlike Hasiba non “Infatuation approved” – can send me falafel that doesn’t taste like a hockey puck, so I’ll just say I don’t get Hasiba.

I also ordered shakshuka suace from Hasiba (even though I didn’t love their shakshuka when I had it there pre-pandemic). This morning I made shakshuka for breakfast. I absolutely love the concept of shakshuka sauce to go because it simplifies the process of making shakshuka when you are tired in the morning, but the Hasiba sauce is not great – way too sugary (and if I wanted something sweet for breakfast, I would make pancakes or blintzes). Made me think, however, wow I wish there was a place from which I could order amazing shakshuka sauce to keep in the refrigerator (or if I wasn’t so lazy and so time-presssed, I guess I could just make a big batch myself and keep it for a few days). If anyone knows where I can get amazing shakshuka sauce please let me know.

7 Likes

Haha @Emglow101. Probably not, but they do have a Michelin Bib - aguachile is excellent, comforting seafood stews, yummy batter-fried fish tacos and their specialty is patas de mula (bloody clams) but I haven’t had the guts to try those yet. :relaxed:

1 Like

Hasiba is utterly awful. I don’t know any Israelis that actually like it.

1 Like

Habayit on Pico: Hole-in-the-box, but much better.

2 Likes

I can confirm the aguachiles at La Cevicheria is excellent (as are many other things on the menu). Thankfully they have been fairly busy most of the times we have ordered from them since they reopened. I hope they can sustain through the pandemic.

1 Like

Glad the place is still around. I last went ~11 yrs ago and thought it was wonderful.

Hi @sk8uno -

I really need to pull myself away from my favorites and explore the menu more. They also have Guatemalan (birth country) specialties. It looks like they’re doing good - they were able to set up a few tables & umbrellas outside and always have peeps pulling up for pickups.

Tips for newbs: 1) Big lot across the street is free and not monitored. 2) Cash Only 3) They don’t serve alcohol but you can discreetly bring a beer in a paper bag. :wink:

3 Likes

Alas, I am outside of Habayit’s delivery area (they seem to do their own delivery). And I see shakshuka on Habayit’s menu, but they don’t seem to sell a separate shakshuka sauce. If they did and if I knew they made it in-house, I would probably drive to buy some. In investigating shakshuka sauce on the Internet, I see there are a lot of canned and jarred versions available and I’m sure plenty of places where in the past I have had mediocre shakshuka make the dish straight from the jar or can. Presumably the stuff at Hasiba was home-made, but just way too heavy a hand with sugar.

Today I called RunningMan to see if they would delivery Langer’s to my house and they said yes!! No other delivery service that Langer’s advertises will come to westla. So called in order to Langer’s, and got lunch delivered!

Rare day off for husband, so we enjoyed beer with our sandwiches. Also got chile cheese fries, which they send with cheese and chili individually packed. Warmed in oven - delicious. Sorry, no pic.

I am loving RunningMan!

18 Likes

how does runningman work?