Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Right before the Holidays, we were exposed to COVID and subsequently were diagnosed. Thankfully we didn’t do much after exposure, except my friend told me of this new Soup Delivery service that is making extra in order to feed the hungry. I love soup and love a good mission, so the day before exposure, I put in an order for the delivery of three soups. They came 3 days later via porch drop off… totally frozen and a complete life saver during our first week with THANKFULLY moderate symptoms. We just were feeling so down and ick… cooking was the last thing on my mind…

The three we ordered were the Lemon Chicken Basmati, The Chicken Enchilada and the Pulled Pork Chili. They have many more to choose from as well.

We had the Lemon Chicken Basmati first and was very pleased with what we got. The flavor of the broth was really nice with a nice twinge of lemon. There was plenty of veggies as well as chicken. The Basmati was also cooked very nice, soft but not completely dissolved…

We had Enchilada soup which also had a great base, plenty of veg (Corn and Black Beans) and chicken. The quartered were filled to the tippy top! We got three good bowls out of them and for the last bit of Enchilada soup, it made a great Tamale Topper. Merry Christmas for us!

Having them come frozen already not only extended the life of the soups, but also gave us permission to just squirrel one away. Feeling much better but still under quarantine, we opted for the last one tonight when we were craving some comfort food… Pulled Pork Chili…

Like the other soups, this one was full of meat! The chili itself was more tomato based, not very spicy as with the addition of the BBQ pork, it tended to be on the sweet side. So it wasn’t my favorite, but still very tasty and made an excellent Steak Fries topping with some homemade cheese sauce and Jalapenos.

We are all but recovered now, but will for sure order from them again as we have yet to find another delivery service or even restaurant that has this many soups available at any time (Sadly we are outside of Clementine’s Delivery area) that are as tasty.

–Dommy!

27 Likes

So glad you are (all but) okay. Hope it is all the way okay soon!

5 Likes

The Boyle Heights locations was one of a kind. Although I seldom go, Pico is very good. At least it was about 18 months ago when last I went. Still family run. One of our servers was about 12 years old and great.

1 Like

Glad you are okay! Yup I know that feeling. Soup is all you want and all you want to do is just reheat. (Probably because you are tired as hell!)

4 Likes

Happy you’re feeling better.

4 Likes

Amen

3 Likes
2 Likes

So happy you’re both feeling better @Dommy! And so happy you had comforting soup delivered to your door! Thanks for sharing. Stay safe!

2 Likes

Any suggestions near Lawndale today?

Zam Zam or Zacatecas.

I thought this was such a weird headline. Why use “rapture” here?
Anyway, happy to see that this shady practice has been banned in CA.

3 Likes

Chubby Rice? Haven’t been there since pandemic started though, so no idea how they’re doing.

2 Likes

Ooh forgot all about them. Thanks!

Al-Noor

1 Like

“Rapture” describes it perfectly.

Saw this come up on my feed. Anybody order from here for delivery? You put in your zip code then they connect you with local chefs.

I put in a LA and OC zip code and got matched with the same person.

https://www.tiffinfood.co/

2 Likes

I ordered from them a few days ago, only downside is you have to schedule 2 days in advanced, but the food was delicious, it was some of the most authentic Indian food I have ever had in my life. They seem to be new but rapidly growing as I saw them on the news

6 Likes

Bar Hayama

I didn’t have super high expectations for the bento boxes at Bar Hayama, but these are surprisingly good - especially for the money.

Black Cod Bento - $21

You get all this, plus rice and miso soup.

The tempura is great, but the siu mai was a real treat. Super delicate with a sweet and sour sauce. I believe it is Japanese style Chinese food - my first time having it.

You get some choice cuts of sashimi, and the wasabi seems freshly grated. There is some gristle in the tuna, but not a problem.

The black cod almost gets overshadowed, but it is cooked perfectly. Also, gotta love the Disney princess cameo.

Fried Chicken Bento - $25

IMG_7146.HEIC

For a small upcharge, you get some of Bar Hayama’s excellent fried chicken. It is crispy, juicy and much better than Anzu down the street. Black cod is also included here.

IMG_7140.HEIC

I like the eggplant. The sauce is a little salty, but I like it. The siu mai is still my favorite thing in the box. While this bento is still an excellent value, I like the base one with sashimi and tempura more. And it costs less, too.

Recommended!

18 Likes

Nice! A worthy bang bang opportunity also exists just across the street at Tempura House Sawtelle!

12 Likes

Tried this out in NYC! They came on time and food was great, I had the 5 meal package and it lasted all week, saved me alot of time on cooking

4 Likes