Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the callout. We just checked and Gjusta said they were just sold out. They hope to have it back on the menu soon. (Fingers crossed!)

2 Likes

Doubting Thomas on Temple at Coronado had a pretty robust breakfast menu going on this morning g. My friend had the ginger carrot cake and I picked up an apple morning bun. Wasn’t too hungry but nice to know they’re still going.

3 Likes

Tartine in Santa Monica is open.

@SpockSpork and I had mixed opinions. Pastries were VERY sweet, although I did not find them cloying so (@SpockSpork found them very close to cloying). Molasses cookie (or something like that) might’ve done well w/ a touch of… pepper? Morning bun had great lamination. Chocolate cake was partner’s favorite. I found it moist, but it had the TASTE of a dry chocolate cake. Very odd, IMHO.

Quiche was good (not pictured) but a small portion for $13.

Is Chaumont open??? The croissants are worth a stop.

2 Likes

Sorry, this week I went for meatballs, the Italian and the pastrami (two separate visits with one item picked up for the next day) so did not check on the prime rib. The Italian and the meatballs were still particularly good and the meatballs traveled well.

2 Likes

Looks like they’re running out of TP

5 Likes

Pizzana’s Padrino sandwich was still very good the following day. The aged provolone cheese was quite creamy. :yum:

Too bad they only offer it as a special, otherwise it would be my go-to for picnics, trips and concerts (after the mass quarantine ends, of course).

2 Likes

Thanks to all!
Here’s my haul -

Gjusta: tomato confit with burrata (it held up and is delicious!); blueberry jam; olive oil cake; mixed berry galette; assorted croissants and pastries (for my parents)…sold out of carrot cake, but they are selling giant cans of Bianco tomatoes for $12!

Felix: sfincione; orecchiette kit; pesto; and duck sugo (I submitted my online order at 11AM for immediate pick-up, and got an E-mail that everything would be ready by 11:25AM)

Pasjoli: Basque cheesecake

Antico: slices of Neapolitan (with anchovies, olives & capers…this was straight-out amazing!) and meat pizzas; honeycomb and chocolate & sea salt ice creams (chocolate was a gift for my brother); sold out of sandwiches for the day

Didn’t make it to Republique…maybe tomorrow. Driving out west was a breeze…it took 25 minutes instead of the usual hour.

Going to enjoy the treats over the weekend.

17 Likes

Holy cow, that IS a haul!!! :smiley:

Unrelated… Just stopped off at Literati Cafe in Brentwood for lunch. They are desperately trying to get rid of their eggs and milk. IIRC, a crate of eggs (30 eggs?) is $5, and a gallon of 2% milk is $3. FYI for anybody who has a family to feed (or just wants to stock up).

9 Likes

Thanks for the heads up maybe i can avoid the line for that ralphs

I was just at Marukai in little Tokyo and they had plenty of eggs and rice, though purchase limits on both

4 Likes

Today I picked up a bunch of frozen food from Mama Lu’s - including

green onion pancakes, meatballs, and pork with fennel dumplings. I’ve purchased the frozen dumplings before, and the pancakes, and loved having them in my freezer. The meatballs will be new.

I didn’t pre-order, but knew to bring cash to purchase. One party ahead of me finalizing their order; one party lingering across the restaurant either waiting for an order, or coordinating something via their phone. One party after me–but overall pretty heartbreaking and slow for Mama Lu’s on a Saturday. Most of the restaurant was blocked by chairs–it’s take out only.

5 Likes

Haven’t tried it yet, but got a flyer in my mailbox for takeout and delivery from Nerano on Little Santa Monica Blvd. The flyer mentions curbside pickup, which sounds nice.

I’m trying not to let this coronavirus situation be an excuse to pig out on carbs and gain weight and while Nerano has pasta and pizza, the menu also shows branzino and grilled asparagus and red cabbage and spinach.

Maybe I should start another thread, but I would love to have a grip on fresh egg sightings. I have been having a delicious omelette a day, but I will run out soon and today, cognizant of same, had a two egg omelette rather than 3 egg (a one egg omelette isn’t worth having, but I will hard boil it when I’m down to my last egg). I am loathe to venture out to a supermarket unless I know it will have eggs or Siggi’s yogurt, both of which Gelson’s was out of when I ventured there on Wednesday. I could feed myself for the next few months on a combination of eggs, Siggi’s yogurt and protein powder (of which I have plenty).

Republique is selling eggs along with other supplies

1 Like

Thanks to @PorkyBelly but I’m trying to stay closer to home - Century City, Beverly Hills, West L.A. Century City I can also do on foot which gives me a bit of exercise.

Speaking of this, has anybody been to Eataly? Wondering what the crowd situation is and what they are stocked on other than pasta. They do have a nice fish department. And some Parmesan cheese is sounding good.

I thought all Westfield malls are closed now?

1 Like

Maude?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97-bIjHP4d/

3 Likes

Maude has a small but nice selection of prepared and unprepared foods. We had their pheasant and rice soup and their farro salad yesterday. Both very tasty. I bought chicken broth to cook with tonight.

I also saw ribeye steaks, chicken breasts, eggs, an assortment of fresh vegetables, and baked treats.

I felt melancholy because this restaurant was close to my heart. I hope it doesn’t become a fatality of flatten the curve.

2 Likes

Only indoor malls are closed. Essential services at outdoor malls are allowed to be open. I believe Eataly is open. Gelsons is open.

2 Likes

Not sure what quality of eggs you’re hoping for but I was at the Silver Lake Whole Foods yesterday afternoon and saw they had eggs and yogurt both (I think Siggi, definitely a premium brand and the yogurt was generally well stocked with little sold out). A few days back the downtown Whole Foods only had one brand of eggs and the dairy section was stripped bare so obviously it varies by location when you try but they seem to be limiting both the amount of people going in and the number of units you can buy so you might have a decent chance of getting what you need.

3 Likes

Sprouts had eggs. Clementine was selling a 6 pack of eggs for $2.95 (closed on Sundays, though).

1 Like