Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Nice score from Highland Park Brewery Chinatown, followed by to go from Hotville Chicken. (Trying to scratch the Howlin itch. Nice place with great service, baked beans, and desserts, but the chicken doesn’t hold a candle to HR’s)

4 Likes

It’s Friday also, and with the news below perhaps you can also buy a bottle of sake to go with food and enjoy it at home. Take out pairing fun! Hopefully not just cocktails. In Northern California I believe the law is a bit more relaxed now as I’ve noted some Italian and Japanese restaurants offering wine and sake bottles to go from their menu. A nice way to further support your favorite place if they open up their beverage menu as well.

3 Likes

We got sake from Shunji’s

6 Likes

Excellent, I’m glad folks are mobilizing and restaurants are offering these in addition to boost their bottom line! Enjoy (must be a good one, never had it though)! Get the Seiden and Seitoku next time, and Mutsu Hassen (Isaribi) Tokubetsu Junmai and/or the Ginjo (Pink) if she still has it. Mutsu Hassen Isaribi is quite fecking excellent with bluefin (maybe ask Shunji to do maguro zuke don for all of the bluefin to enhance that sake pairing). Happy Friday!

1 Like

Do NOT recommend Birdie G’s. $16.50 for 1/2 cup of broth that tasted of nothing but dill. Simply terrible.

Edit to add: On a positive note, I was doing 70 on the 405 and 10 at 4:00 p.m. on a Friday! So crazy. I have never in my life driven to Santa Monica in ten minutes.

3 Likes

I’m coming into the city tomorrow pick up a cheesecake from Pasjoli. I also want to try to hit up Republiqué for pie…problem is Pasjoli opens at 11:30AM. Anything else I should hit up while I’m there? (Santa Monica - Whittier geographical zone)

1 Like

Anyone know what’s going on with Gjusta? That would be a good place to stock up for hibernating and not that far from pasjoli. Felix is also close by, not sure what they are up to either

1 Like

Gjusta still has their full menu available for cjurbside pickup.

Perhaps some Felix pasta kits

4 Likes

Getting one this evening along with the sfincione.

1 Like

Onda breakfast

1 Like

bring a cooler and grab a pint of some of the best fresh spun ice cream in the city at antico

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92ZfxqBpw3/

3 Likes

OMG! I love his pizza when they were in the Fields… This is seriously tempting but I’m trying to stay hunkered down as much as possible and support my neighborhood places…

2 Likes

I ordered the Orecchiette Kit, the sfincione and a salad for pick-up through felixla.com which then transfers you to ChowNow to process the order but 100% of the charge goes to the restaurant. The kits each contain a double portion of pasta. Note that a gratuity is added automatically to the order but the form also offers the option to add a tip as well. Everything came in separate containers (two separate bags of pasta, a large container of sauce, cheese, red pepper flakes all separated for the kit), with easy to follow directions for preparing at home and–while not as good as having it cooked there–was still absolutely delicious. I forgot to ask if the pizzas came fully cooked or needed finishing at home but they have everything nicely organized in the restaurant so it is easy to come to the front door to pick up. The staff who were organizing the packages and handing them out were cheerful and wonderful despite the stress they must be under. One suggestion, plan ahead for ordering as, even though everything is neatly packaged to go, they had a lot of orders and the pick-up time provided was almost an hour and a half from the time I ordered.

5 Likes

I think somebody said the original farmers market is still open. Maybe go for some meats at Huntington, cheese at Monsieur Marcel and toffee at little John’s. Please bring me an extra box of toffee. Haha.

2 Likes

I’m going to order the pesto for sure from Felix. Which pasta kit and pasta sauce do you fine folks suggest? I’ve not had a chance to dine there before since reservations have been hard to come by.
Never been to Gjusta, either. I’m going to get the carrot cake for sure, but what are your top 3 menu suggestions? I don’t want to get too many things and not be able to eat it all within an appropriate window.
Another question…is Antico > Bulgarini? If I’m gonna blow $18 on a pint, it’s got to blow my mind. I’d be okay with making a trip to support Leo on Sunday.

3 Likes

I went and bought two pints from Antico the other day… the honey comb flavor is worth it 100%

1 Like

Definitely the orecchiette with sausage sugo. And since you’re there might as well get the must order sfincione.

Yes to the carrot cake and I would have said the prime rib butcher sandwich with extra horseradish but I don’t see it on the menu anymore! @A5KOBE, @Chowseeker1999, @NewTrial any intel? This fucking coron better not have killed off my prime rib.
I also like the tomato confit with burrata sandwich and the brisket butcher sandwich. But they don’t travel very well so I would get it if you can eat it right away.

I can’t vouch for the pint versions of the ice cream… yet, but when I had it in the restaurant, yes it blew my mind.

2 Likes

Damn! Felix online orders are closed. I can’t put in an order until 11AM. This may hinder my plans if it takes an hour and a half to prep for take-out. I don’t thin gjusta will take long.

Hi @attran99,

Yes, besides the Carrot Cake…

• Italian Sandwich all with Housemade Charcuterie cuts and their Housemade Bread.
  • Prime Rib Butcher - But as @PorkyBelly noted I don’t know why it’s not listed on the menu right now! :frowning:
  • Smoked Fish Plate (Small or Large): You can choose 3 (S) to 5 (L) different types of Smoked Seafood from their amazing case. Try Smoked Salmon Belly, Cold Smoked Kanpachi, one of their Smoked Salmon (Gravlax, Cold Smoked Lox). Love their Oil Cured Sardines as well. :slight_smile:
  • Porchetta Butcher Sandwich: Luscious, decadent slow-roasted Porchetta.
  • Veggie Sandwich: Probably won’t travel well, but if you want to eat it with family in the car, it is incredible what they can do with “only” Veggies, but it is standout.
  • Hazelnut Paris Brest (Chilled Dessert Case): If they have this, get one and eat immediately. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Love the miso date cookie if they have it

2 Likes