Restaurants near Immersive Van Gogh exhibit

Don’t spend much time in DTLA but we’re gonna check out the Van Gogh exhibit. Looking for a good, not too upscale place that is family friendly for dinner. Totally open on cuisine. I know its a broad question, but we really haven’t explored LA much and just starting to broaden out beyond the South Bay. I see all the quintessential restaurants that folks post about, but want to make sure it’s suitable for 8 - 14 yo’s who are well-behaved and love to eat.

Thanks!
FD

2 Likes

That’s not downtown, it’s Hollywood. Luv2Eat is nearby. Connie & Ted’s, Pizzeria Mozza, and Petit Trois aren’t far.

3 Likes

majordomo
bestia
bavel
yangban society

2 Likes

That’s at the Lighthouse in Hollywood right? I’d suggest dinner at the new Hollywood location of Hui Tou Xiang.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks all! @robert that’s how little I leave South Bay… to me it’s all just DTLA :slight_smile: , though i suppose I should start learning as we get more adventurous.

4 Likes

Off Vine

Lot of Thai restaurants to try in Thai town ruen pair, Pailin, or spicy Thai.

Hwood area - Horses, Lantica da Michele, chi spacca, mozza, mother wolf, de sano, or kali.

4 Likes

I didn’t mention Osteria Mozza, Chi Spacca, Horses, or Mother Wolf as they seem pretty upscale to me, though otherwise great choices.

Mixed reviews for da Michele here.

1 Like

It’s a little bit of a tough area since it’s not really freeway adjacent and not a lot that really fits the bill exactly.

Some near by areas easily accessible by car depending on your route might be Korea town, East Hollywood / Thai town, West Hollywood

I am also going to recommend Thai Town and Koreatown. Both are very family friendly. Depends I guess what the kiddos like because I have a big list for both neighborhoods lol spent a lot of time in both.

I am guessing the kiddos are more sophisticated than eating dino nuggets

1 Like

Gonna have to do some research on a bunch of these. My kids are great eaters and we try to introduce them to as much as possible. They love a good pasta or steak, but can easily veer into most ethnic foods. I would love to do one of the Thai places but I think my wife is going to want to veer more Western cuisine.

So if I opt for Thai (which makes the most sense given we’ll have 5 kids in tow and more than anything I’m scared of my SIL who tends to go overboard with ordering, which means I have to find something a bit more reasonably priced), what is the recommendation? I feel like Luv2eat shows up the most on FTC and the menu looks like one that everyone in our party would be quite happy with.

1 Like

Luv2Eat is great.

2 Likes

I would call to see if Luv2eat is doing dine in right now. They still might be doing takeout or delivery only

Pailin’s closed on Sundays, but @nemroz wrote about his many family dinners there with chowpup in tow: Pailin advanced - #41 by Nemroz

2 Likes

Magari is pretty good and close.

cheers… yes we’ve had multiple parties there with plenty of kids…

@fattydumplin you’ll need to call ahead for a bigger table

1 Like

Gwen is superb and within walking distance.