Roberta's pop-up

Aren’t they staying there until Feb 1?

Dec 1 - Feb 1 = 2 months?

Good question. I asked the guy today when is their last day, and he said they’ll be there through January 1st? He may have been confused, because they are closed Monday thru Wednesday. Who know?

FYI, they are having a New Year’s Day party with a pig roast! Apparently an all day thing, no tickets required.

2 Likes

Was back in town and craving Roberta’s. They had a nice vegetarian special with roasted Brussels sprouts, the Kurt Brussel:

Also like @Bookwich says, they’re doing a pig roast for New Year’s Day:

8 Likes

I was there today and, although the promos all said it was a two month stint (and the Platform website does list some dates at the end of January and the beginning of February for it to be open), the woman taking the orders told me today was their last day there. There was a paper plate sign that indicated that the pig roast is what they will be doing for dinner tonight, rather than all-day, though I did not specifically ask as I was there for the pizza. There was very little wait and I had the Speckenwolf ($12), which was very good. Although it came out of the oven piping hot, it cooled down fairly quickly in the below 60 degree weather even though I ate it there. Is it worth the trip? I suppose it depends where you are coming from…YMMV, A permanent location in L.A. would be a great (albeit not essential) addition to the local pizza scene, though.

3 Likes

I feel like I should go order ten pizzas and stack them in my freezer.

2 Likes

The :pig2: won’t be ready until around 6pm.

bee sting - tomato, chili flake/oil, basil, mozzarella, spicy sopressata, honey

7 Likes

PSA: Roberta’s last day was yesterday, January 1. HOWEVER, they will be back Jan. 26 through February 12.

New Year Day Pig Roast.

Incredibly flavorful, tender, and the crispest skin since Miami six years ago. If pork always tasted this good, I would really like it.

Axl Rosenburg Pizza

Very good, but the jalapeños overwhelmed all the other ingredients, so I took them off after a bite. (I’m still most in love with the margherita).

9 Likes

Had their marg yesterday, was excellent. Is there any word on whether they are going to have a more permanent LA location?

They say they have no plan to open here permanently. When I gently begged, they said, “It’s not going to happen.” In a kind way.

they are around a lot to not be exploring something.

Who knows. The partnership is breaking up. Here’s some industry gossip. :smirk:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/dining/at-robertas-pizza-and-a-broken-partnership.html

http://ny.eater.com/2016/5/31/11818574/tisch-robertas-management-change

Btw, it was Carlo (the chef) serving up the pig last night. He’s got a great vibe, friendly and mellow. He was handing strands of pork to people waiting in line. Also, he’s very good looking.

1 Like

He’s also a great chef at blanca

Lot of misleading posts… Yesterday they shut down at 3 pm, but everyone was posting as if they were going to open all night. Very funny.

Hm, not true. I went, ordered and ate pizza there at 8pm last night. Unless it was a dream???

They were out of the pork by then, though, if that’s what you mean.

I find that hard to believe as I showed up at 8:30 and they were completely closed…

Possibly I went to the wrong place I guess. Thought it was at the Platform in Culver City. I guess I must’ve messed up. Not sure what I saw though.

Thankfully Jon and Vinnys was open.

Ah, bummer. It definitely was 8pm - I just checked the time stamp on a pic I took. I must have just made it in before they closed up shop.

And yeah, it was at the Platform. It was at the end in a dirt lot right underneath the metro. I wonder if they’ll continue to re-purpose that space for other temporary pop-ups.

Ironically, this was where I was originally intending on going but then remembered that it was Roberta’s last day.

That is indeed rather hilarious.

It’s been a while since I had Robertas, but I think I enjoy Jon and Vinnys salad pizza more than their style.

People that love Robertas should look out for Urban Pie if they’re desperate. Seems super similar to Robertas to me, but possibly even better, especially their carnitas pizza but also their bee sting.

However, it’s in OC (they have a mobile trailer that I think makes it into LA though)

I’ll look for that trailer. I like Roberta’s crust a lot. Chewy and thin and charred. I’ve never noticed Jon and Vinny’s crust as particularly cracker-like. But it is definitely hard to fold.

And maybe you were looking in the wrong place. I was there about 7. It’s not in a Platform building, it’s on an attached dirt lot right on the corner of National and Washington, although you should have seen the lights and heard music and people. :frowning:

You made my day!

And now you’ve ruined it. :cry:

Hmmm… apparently I like Roberta’s even more than I realized lol.

1 Like

Ah, legislative compromise. It is so rarely seen, you will have to forgive folks inability to recognize it.

1 Like