Rossoblu DTLA

Braised pork shoulder should be falling off the bone, but if it’s falling into strings, I’d say it was overcooked.

The milk should be reduced to a sort of ragu-like sauce.

1 Like

went here recently for brunch. seems like they’re figuring things out still. the space is even more beautiful during the daytime with the sunlight filtering in. service was very friendly (Hans one of the co-owners/managers was particularly gracious), however they were severely understaffed, which led to some painful waits, especially at the beginning.

I think one of the best parts of the experience is still the bar program.

Bee’s kiss (creamy cocktail, excellent, per our waiter a riff on horchata). Lambrusco spritz (just OK – would rather get an aperol spritz).

Coffee cocktail, also excellent. Paper straw, not metal, which was surprising and somewhat wasteful though better than plastic, I suppose.

They have an interesting lambrusco list.
No pics of the food, but in general we were nonplussed by the selection. No pastas or larger proteins on the brunch menu, but some concessions to the LA food scene (e.g., the obligatory grain bowl), a burger and an egg sandwich with sausage, and a few eggy dishes including a bolognese-sauced frittata, which were adequate if not memorable. Our group’s favorite was the pork belly, which was grilled on their fire and was marvelous, porky and tasting of sweet honey and charcoal smoke.

I’d go back for dinner, since I still think their pastas/proteins are the most distinctive aspect of the restaurant dining experience.

4 Likes

Ouch.

5ACBAC5D-A9F6-41A3-9158-E551E181B0BE

5 Likes

I never understood why restaurants don’t just up their menu price by 4% which is negligible to most diners?

6 Likes

:joy: RIP

4 Likes

Warrior:our last meal here was our best to date. The eggplant has been a classic for years (though years ago they had an inferior version with more tomato sauce). The asparagus risotto was fantastic: beautiful green vegetable broth with perfect parmigiano contrast. Love the al dente rice. We have had the fish with olive pesto several times, but it has never tasted so fresh. The snap peas were perfect because they were not over-cooked or over-seasoned. (The cheese is a mild ricotta.) The only dish I didn’t really like was the peach salad. The combination of peaches, bitter greens, and apricot dressing was not appealing to me.

Peony: Really enjoyed the meal this time. The flavor balance for all the dishes was spot on. I particularly like how the delicate flavors of each dish came through. We previously had the experience that one or two dishes of the whole meal was not at the same level as the other dishes. This time all the dishes were consistently executed well. I recommend trying all of them!

They don’t let us post more than one photo so we make collages.

7 Likes

Just figure out what percent to tip, and reduce it by the 3-4% of the surcharge.

You’re missing the point of my post. Read the linked topic.

Risotto is always fantastic at RB. Great post!

Had a fantastic dinner here last night. Is this place underrated??

Sergio was in the house.

9 Likes

Glad you had a great meal! I’ve had both a fantastic dinner there and a good but not great dinner there. Really enjoy the venue though; however if I’m headed to downtown there are definitely other restaurants that would be higher on my list.

Yeah I probably still like Bestia more but so much easier to get reservations at Rossoblu.

Dama was popping last night. Packed house.

2 Likes

I’ve been to Rossoblu 3x and all pretty closer together but every time I left with an entirely underwhelming feeling. I would love for it to be great though and it’s been a while since I’ve been back so I’ll definitely give it a nudge again should it present itself.

1 Like

My sole visit to Rossoblu last weekend was underwhelming as well. I had less than crispy fritto misto, watery tomato sauce (think water dripping down pizza as I was eating)/super flappy crust, slightly dry pork tomahawk (though their house sausage was excellent in every aspect), and slightly soggy crostata.

2 Likes

I had a friend go recently as well and came back with a similar report. They were hitting on all cylinders fwiw.

Weird. Our pizza was crispy and so delicious.

Not that it should matter, but was Sergio in the house?

Didn’t check since we sat in the patio. It was on a Sunday so it could’ve been the B team at work…

Warrior: I’ve found their fritto misto decent but underwhelming on multiple occasions. I agree it’s not crispy enough. The pizza at Superfine has always been inconsistent. While it can be great, I stay away from it these days to avoid disappointment.