Saffy's - East Hollywood

Definitely get the mussels too

3 Likes

you pretty much got all the hits and agree on the mussels. double up on the lobster if you don’t want to share. chocolate cake is good too.

3 Likes

Had a solid meal at Saffys. Partner thought it was a great meal and better than bavel but I thought it was slightly worse. Definitely not in my must rush to go back to places. I like bestia way more and probably would rather go to bavel except for the lobster.

Highlight by far was the lobster. Taste, texture, and flavor were outstanding. Everything else was at least good. We got a salad that wasn’t pictured and that was by far the weakest dish along with the pork skewer which I didn’t order. Desserts were solid but not to the bestia and bavel levels.

Some notes:

1. They ran out of the tumeric mussels which made me sad. They also ran out of the salted date soft serve which made me more sad.
  2. If you order the shawarma plate they don’t give you the onions, zataar, tomatoes, lettuce. That only comes with the sandwiches. This actually miffed me quite a bit because one it wasn’t explained on the menu as such and two when I asked for some items on the side it was a flat out no from the kitchen. That in my book is really poor hospitality. I would have gladly paid for the items and for that price point it’s just kinda weird to flat out deny my a couple of slices of tomatoes, zataar, and onions.
  3. I od’ed on bread I don’t usually eat that many carbs but all the sauces and meat require bread so be careful. I was painfully bread bloated afterward lol.
  4. The food is very heavy with very little to counterbalance each dish or dishes on the menu and aggressively salted. The meat proteins that we got were on the border of too salty without accompanying bread, sauces, and condiments. I woke up this morning really dehydrated from the late dinner last night.
  5. They sent out a pork shislik instead of the beef I ordered which was super sad. So I was not able to contribute to the ongoing beef chicken debate going on.
  6. I think the pita at bavel is better than the two bread offerings here and would pair better with many of the dishes.
11 Likes

What did you think???

2 Likes

Agree, been twice. I’m fairly lukewarm on this restaurant in comparison to Bavel or even its reputation. Shawarma is kinda dry, breads are definitely better at Bavel (Challah excepted). Some of the large format things are missing enough accoutrements/salatim/sauces to taquear or kebab effectively, though the hummus ful and chicken kebab were on point.

For me it’s good not special. Wish Mh Zh still existed or for Mini Kabob to open in that space (rumored).

*Complaint: I’m so sick of pureed Amba. I know that’s what you’d get at a falafel stand in Tel Aviv, but much prefer it intact.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Also maybe it was my ordering but I wanted some lighter or counterbalanced dishes but everything ran super heavy and I didn’t see anything on the menu that really provided that. That’s why I ended up ordering the salad but even that was salty and heavy.

We saved the hummus and the tomatoes for the meat kebabs and shawarma which helped balance some of the heaviness issues.

I didn’t know amba came in a solid form. I always thought it was puréed or a sauce with some chunks in it. Where can I try this solid version?

Also mini kabob is opening a more sit down type restaurant?!?!? :flushed::flushed:

4 Likes

I really miss that place. I loved the way you could order the full day’s menu for a set price. Although the lack of beer/wine and BYOB aversion was a problem.

3 Likes

As for amba, my writing wasn’t super clear. I meant the chunky stuff, as pictured here.

Re: Mini Kabob, opening is maybe strong. I don’t know dude, but when taking out this summer, he mentioned a lease/lease option (is that a thing?) on the space and his Mid East taco concept. I’m just some schmuck on the internet, but for me if he’s gonna open there just do a mini kabob. The pop ups at Voodoo Vin are killing it, and sometimes you gotta shut up and play the hits.

I know @Helper_Monkey! Fun, affordable, dynamic. They straight up copied a certain era/chef’s Tel Aviv hipster restaurants (Eyal Shani’s Port Said, Beit Romano, Miznon) but ultimately who cares.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that mini kabob did pop up’s there (nm I just followed them on insta and it popped up in a story). I had only heard of la morra doing some awhile back.

2 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos mini Kabob is doing a pop-up next Monday, Nov 14 at the wine place they did last time. The last pop-up sold out in an hour, Armen said. I want to eat his food hot of the grill so badly but the chance of beating that huge crowd would be thin :cry:

At the restaurant, they have one bench-table in front. They’re setting up more tables in the space next door (observation from this weekend).

This is the table in front of their window from Saturday.

I’m craving for Mini Kabob again :sweat_smile: Someone please save my life, I need my eggplant caviar ASAP…

8 Likes

I love their eggplant caviar!

3 Likes

lol they just posted this

6 Likes

@Ns1 Armen is my man. I sat there with my bottle of sunscreen last Saturday and he put out a giant umbrella! I should come get more eggplant caviar soon!!

1 Like
1 Like

I think you meant Esquire's Best New Restaurants in America, 2022

Pretty blown away with the shawarma, ful and the cocktail game. Lucky bar seating score while trying to visit Found Oyster. Cold by the open doors but whatever. I was getting ready to be a hater being that we grill a lot of meats but it’s impressive. Salad was a bore and i dont dig the grittiness of sumak in it and we’re big sumak people

Pumped to see 2 cognac cocktails on. And the adjika kicker is fantastic. That’s my people stuff

Strong contender for best taco type bite

13 Likes

What did you think of price-quality ratio?

Considering whose restaurant it is and all the popularity, it makes sense. It’s definitely a splurge though to have a $47 shawarma. I can’t see myself ever ordering a small skewer for whatever it costs. Sure, my skewers aren’t as good as theirs but still, great. I’m glad people are loving this place.

4 Likes

Very good restaurant. We disagree with board consensus and think Saffy’s > Bavel >> Bestia. The endive and onion salad is one of the best dishes I’ve eaten in 2023. The chef has a terrific palate or at least one that matches our tastes.

3 Likes

Respectfully, are you eating meat at these places? I know we periodically have this back and forth but if not, idk…

I don’t need to die on this hill though. I like Saffy’s, think the breads are better at Bavel. And shawarma and kebabs have been hit or miss at Saffy’s.

2 Likes