Saffy's - East Hollywood

2 Likes

Real Jim Harbaugh energy in here

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2018/07/30/jim-harbaugh-eating-chicken-michigan-football-players-nervous-bird

5 Likes

I say I don’t like chicken but that’s similar to the way I don’t like jazz or poetry. I’m not talking about Billie Holiday or Shakespeare or poulet de Bresse rôti.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2022/10/01/jacques-pepin-book/

2 Likes

Finally made it to this place for the first time last night and while I enjoyed the meal it is not a place I will go be going back to unless invited by someone else. The starters we had were all excellent (lobster, mussels, hummus ful), but the shawarma was underwhelming at best and the skewers (team chicken shislik, lamb (no peppers)) were just fine. Our meal for 2 including a couple cocktails and bottle of wine was north of $350 which is WAY WAY WAY too much for what we got. I’d much rather pick up from Mini Kabob and pull a bottle out of the wine fridge if I’m in the mood for skewered meats. If I want a more refined meal from Ori and Genevieve Bavel it will be.

17 Likes

Yeah, chickens are detestable creatures when you let them roam free range. They are constantly pecking at each other and fighting over food. Cows are dumb as nails but lovably stupid. There is nothing lovable about a chicken.

2 Likes

Lovable flavor.

4 Likes

Big highlight: Marinated tomatoes atop eggplant puree! Sweetness of these tomatoes balances with the intense savory character of the chicken and lamb skewers. Nothing beats a good tomato. Enjoyed the challah quite a bit. Perfectly designed to run through the hummus ful. I would go with the hummus tahini next time- the ful here is good but not great. Everything else was extremely high-level.

It was quite hot inside. An outdoor table was the preference but there were none available and we were too hungry to wait for one. There are flames popping all over the place so I get it. Still, give us a fan or something, I don’t want to schvitz through this incredible chocolate cake. A recent visit to Alimento was tough for this reason, though the mediocrity of the food on that trip made it a holistically unenjoyable experience. Saffy’s still ripped even though my GF and I were both overheating.

6 Likes

a found oyster saffy’s bang bang is perfect :hugs:

saffy’s lobster > bavel’s prawns. I said it #teamlobster @rlw

scallop tostada, yuzu kosho, apple, basil

marinated castelvetranos turmeric, black lime, herbs, aleppo

hummus ful - slow cooked fava beans, cumin, lemon, fermented serrano, soft egg, challah

grilled lobster skewer - green harissa, serrano-lime yogurt, cilantro blossoms

grilled onion & endive salad - walnuts, pomegranate molasses, chervil, meyer lemon zest

laffa, tahini chopped salad, chili crunch, amba

chicken shishlik - garlic, cumin, cinnamon, green fenugreek, sumac

beef shishlik - yogurt, mint, garlic, pepper, marjoram, oregano

wood-fire shawarma - Lamb & beef, lettuce, tomato, sumac onions, tahini, red ajika, laffa

bergamot chocolate cake with rose ganache

13 Likes

whats that jelly thing on the tostada? yuzo kosho jelly? reminds me of the hayato jellies

it was sweet like an apple puree.

Hi @PorkyBelly - Who ate the fava beans? Thanks.

1 Like

does the PorkBelly photography class happen once a year? is there an application process??

5 Likes

hi @TheCookie, I even ate the beans because it didn’t taste like beans with the hummus and piping hot challah. thanks.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious. Thanks.

1 Like

Went last night. Loved the kebabs and lobster. My only two critiques:

The fried pita on the mussels dish is not the right carb for this dish. It’s over fried and doesn’t really allow the sauce to soak in. Good dish but parts should be re thought.

Cocktails are pretty light on the booze for the price. Had three sours, which were delicious, but barely felt a buzz. And I am a lightweight.

2 Likes

:joy: I won’t fight you, I’ve always been a lobster > prawns guy

2 Likes

You can have my portion, rlw. I’m not shellfish.

2 Likes

anybody try the red snapper tagine?

1 Like

yep, didn’t love it. needed acid or zing. coconut rice with it is way too sweet.

1 Like

What’s the go to dishes here? Going tonight.

Looks like beef/chicken shislik, shawarma, hummus ful, lobster skewer and any salad with tomatoes in it?

2 Likes