Saffy's - East Hollywood

Daughter definitely.

My mom is the same way, well done steak only, her father along with her. From my anecdotal experience, and weird aside, but there’s a generation of Jewish people, regardless of how religious, who only eat well done steak. A superstitious holdover I guess from the Kashrut laws about consuming animal blood, though of course meat juice is not blood.

7 Likes

Supposedly it’s cold retarded for 72 hours—same as the recipe in his book bavel.

I wonder if they are just cooking too low a flame? Personally I would like to see more color and char on it.

I made his laffa recipe. And his pita recipe. Both great.

A biased friend says I out baveled bavel. :joy:. But making a dozen is lot different than making hundreds a night.

11 Likes

Looks great, what do you bake them in? A Gozney dome?

Can’t speak to Bavel, but a familly member worked for Solomonov (Zahav etc) for a hot minute. I was told the actual restaurant pita recipe was not the cookbook recipe, despite claims otherwise in the cookbook.

2 Likes

Yes, the gozney dome. I love it!

I totally believe it. Most pita recipes from any cookbook (including Zahav) are so standard cookie cutter recipes, I don’t even bother.

Bavels however is different than any I’ve ever seen and at one point it was the restaurant recipe. But having said that, Ori personally told me he’s always tweaking it.

7 Likes
4 Likes

agree on Saffy’s trying to be casual but did not hit that mark in pricing and accessibility.

3 Likes

casually spend $100 a person with one cocktail each

6 Likes

It was about $100pp without drinks when I went. :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

That $5 per slice challah refill really stacks up.

2 Likes

I can attest to this. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m just trippin off you liking a bean dish and a crudo. I must get thee to Saffy’s.

2 Likes

and it’s great for chicken lovers #teamchicken

3 Likes

verified jordan okun and @butteredwaffles on team :chicken:

@rlw apology accepted.

3 Likes

:joy: I guess there is no team OOE so because this is the ~internet~ you’re forcing me to defend an even more extreme position so I’ll play along.

What you’re doing is turning this whole non-argument into is a high stakes game of chicken where soon we’re only going to be able to eat chicken and that’s chicken shit. You’re silencing all the people that enjoy beef and FTC is turning to an authoritarian board where all anyone does is troll people. The next thing you’re going to tell me is that this chicken has evolved to be vegan and everyone can eat it! Cows are literally DYING. Have some class.

12 Likes

I worked with a guy from India who was a vegetarian but made an exception for chicken because he hated them.

13 Likes

Not surprising the recipe isn’t the same. Adapted perhaps for home cooking. The restaurant likely uses commercial proofers, retarding coolers, combi ovens, etc.

2 Likes

Can a cow identify as a chicken?

6 Likes

How nice for you! (from someone who misses their 30s)

Back on topic: maybe I’ll eat at Saffy’s one day. When I’m 50. Almost.

3 Likes

Went tonight with the wife and her friends from NYC. Enjoyed all the recommendations from this thread. Highlights for us were the grilled lobster skewer, mussels, soft serve swirl, and the bergamot cake.

I was very much inspired to take on the beef v. chicken challenge but it was no contest: 4 votes for team :chicken: .

9 Likes

We were at a partner’s house for a summer event. They had a caterer come. We sat with the partner’s dad and he told us he doesn’t eat chicken cause they are stupid. If we ate something that stupid, we’d also end up stupid.

:joy:

8 Likes