Saffy's - East Hollywood

Huzzah! Long may your antibodies live.

3 Likes

I have a reservation for 6 people this Friday, July 15 at 7:30 PM that I can no longer use. Does anybody want it?

What’s “hearts on fire”?

1 Like

Hmmm only thought it existed in this inedible form

2 Likes

Exactly my thought when I saw it.

1 Like

@hppzz review forthcoming?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgACTdoLZPB/

hmm seems like coffee/tea and pastries… not sure about lunch. will have to confirm next week.

No full meals (today at least), savory pastries, sweet pastries, coffee, loaves of challa. Hastily taken photo of the sweet selections:

Edit for what I actually had:
Coffee was excellent - I was mildly concerned because there was one person running the register, packing up pastries, and making coffee drinks but she did it all exceptionally well.

Potato curry boureka was dope, a little mild on the curry flavor maybe but lovely flaky pastry with flecks of salt on top.

Snickerdoodle was also really nice in texture. Maybe I’m boring but it might have been better without the other spices, kinda prefer them just cinnamon.

Didn’t try a loaf but they looked beautiful too. Whole operation is way stylish as you might imagine. Pita comes frozen in $10 packs. I want to say it was 5 to a pack? Also didn’t cop any of those.

6 Likes
1 Like

Going tonight for the first time, any consensus on the must-orders?

2 Likes

hummus ful
eggplant and tomato
mussels
chicken
shawarma

4 Likes

Peony thought the best dish was the mussels (I would have voted that second). I thought the best dish was the eggplant and tomatoes (Peony found it too dainty for her tastes).

1 Like

unverified max weighs in. looks like @hppzz didn’t kill the preassembled shawarma and there seems to definitely be a laffa sitch

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17941315820278996/

8 Likes

Are they doing outdoor now? It appears so from the insta story…

Can verify the laffa sitch. Pretty meh, lacked the chewy pull/fluff of a Ta-eem or a Tel Aviv Kosher. Also too dusty/overfloured.

Other thoughts - screamingly loud & I usually don’t care about that, all hard surfaces and treble-y classic rock especially towards the back/oven area. Hummus Ful, challah, eggplant/tomatoes & chicken shishlik the highpoints. Falafel super lackluster, lamb kebab a miss, red snapper tagine too fussy, coconut rice the wrong side for it. Can concur the $5 charge for extra challah or laffa for 4 people on a $300+ ticket was a little grating.

Overall, caught in the middle between the higher aspirations of a Bavel and the crank it out weeknight shish kabob joint. Would love to see it lose some of the fussiness and get a little more wood-fired.

8 Likes

Yes, they opened a patio last night.

3 Likes

Appreciate the info!

1 Like

Anyone want my Thursday res? Party of 4 for 715pm. August 4th

1 Like

thanks to @ChineseChou, who kindly traded reservations with me when I had covid, I was able to try Saffy’s out on Sunday. They were out of the lobster skewer and the mussels, which was a bit of a bummer, but we were able to try out everything else that we wanted.

Thought the eggplant and tomatoes was really good, same with the little gem salad. Also the shawarma, the chicken shishlik, and the lamb shishlik (the one without the peppers.) Absolutely adored the strawberry shortcake dessert–though that may have been a bit of a nostalgia trip for me! Something something dead grandmother’s favorite dessert, etc, etc.

If I was to have a complaint, it would not be with any of the dishes themselves. It would instead be that I wish there were more dishes with more acidity and/or brightness. Perhaps I just ordered wrong, though.

5 Likes