Sake Talk Anyone?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEBAI85gZ6J/

This is pretty cool @beefnoguy @gbsake @TheCookie .
Two Brooklyn Kura collab sakes now on sale in Japan!
Looks like Senkin and Mimuro Sugi visited Brooklyn Kura and created these two sake using American CalRose rice and Japanese Yamadanishiki.
I wonder if Brooklyn Kura will be releasing some here.
More info: IMADEYA ONLINE STORE│お酒の通販

4 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for the share!

Mimurosugi’s brewery, Imanishi Shuzo, their president Imanishi san was in New York late last year, also to promote a shortened portfolio of Mimurosugi sake (pasteurized(, which is why it’s initially offered through MTC New York. They are available in LA but unfortunately not (re: not yet) in NorCal due to distribution rights. I actually tasted the Imanishi label in Tokyo (didn’t know of the Mimurosugi line) final night of my stay September 2018 and thought it was very good.

I can’t wait to taste the pure nama versions back in Japan in the future.

2 Likes

Wow, yeah!
Like @beefnoguy said, thanks for the mention @Starchtrade. I would love to try these too. Brooklyn Kura really seems to be killing it.

[quote=“beefnoguy, post:484, topic:7229”]
Mimurosugi sake (pasteurized(, which is why it’s initially offered through MTC New York. They are available in LA

I must have just missed these from my time working at MTC LA. There’s a serious lack of saké available in the states from Nara, so I’m guessing it had to be better than average (at least) for them to decide to export it. Will let you know when I get my hands on some.

2 Likes

Speaking of Brooklyn Kura, OTOTO’s sake class this week will offer tastings of some of Brooklyn Kura’s sakes, with founder/president Brian Polen on Zoom. @beefnoguy @gbsake @Starchtrade @TheCookie

Order through their web site or Tock for Fri/Sat/Sun pick up, and the Zoom meeting is at 5pm Sunday (8/23)!

4 Likes

Busy weekend but I’d like to try and swing that. Thanks!

1 Like

Wow this looks (and sounds) great! And correct me if I’m wrong @beefnoguy, but it sounds like it would pair wonderfully with bbq/yakitori/etc.

4 Likes

I chatted with Sako san just a few hours ago briefly, this Den Blanc will have both nama and single pasteurized versions. And Den Batch 11 was just released not long ago as well.

If the profiles are what I think it is like, and if it retains the acidity like past releases, it should be amazing with yakitori chicken liver medium rare (extra points if it’s done like Izakaya Rintaro style, the gamey flavors muted and mostly removed by what some speculate is, via soaking in milk…French technique). You could even possibly pair it with a fruity cheesecake, or just as an apertif.

I plan on picking up one of each if possible. Will report back when I have tasted them all.

3 Likes

True Sake’s tasting notes on the blanc for those that want to read

1 Like

Just watched this Eater video with Chef Kazuhiro Watanabe and he mentions his favorite drink to serve is frozen sake.
“Kenbishi’s Toketsushu”
Are there any sakes that is recommended to be served this way and widely available?
Sounds so refreshing for yakitori, bbq, hot days.

Really enjoying all the talk here!

He mentions the sake at 3:53

4 Likes

Making me hungry for Yakitori! I hope you get an answer.

You can buy Kenbishi relatively easy in Northern California and I’m guessing parts of LA/OC. There’s Mizuho and Kuromatsu and those are the only types exported from this brewery:

You would have to buy and freeze the sake yourself to the point until it achieves the right slushy consistency but not when it becomes ice. I would recommend trying freezing Kuromatsu since it has distilled alcohol added, so the freezing temperature would be lower. You might have pour portions of it in cans or tins that will hold and pour out the frozen paste form better.

You could also try any sake that is unpastuerized (nama) and freeze it to slushy consistency, there are some sold at Ototo LA right now that might be fun to try.

These two from True Sake are also perfect candidates for slush freezing, hopefully you can find them locally as well in LA

3 Likes

Did some more digging…found the restaurant’s website!

The drink in question:

剣菱樽酒凍結 (Kenbishi Taru Sake Toketsu Shu)

750円 (750 yen for one masu portion)

toktetsushu

Kenbishi Taru Sake… unfortunately these only come in well… cedar barrels. Roughly 2 liter to 3 liter sizes, typically used by restaurants or ceremonies like weddings or very special occasions to feed a large group. Not exported for sure.

barrel1

So this further proves that this yakitori shop bought the sake by the barrel and froze the sake themselves then portioned into masu (Kenbishi branded cedar boxes) per order (with a limit per customer). I’ve had the pleasure of tasting this warm at an izakaya in Kobe, Hyogo prefecture February 2019 and it was wicked. Although I have never saw the barrel itself in plain view…but I never knew it could freeze like this. Long live Japanese sake geekheads!

If you want to reproduce this and come somewhat close, I stand by my suggestion and hunch of using Kenbishi Kuromatsu and control the freezing yourself (portion it out first). Have fun and let us know if you decide to try it!

3 Likes

Fascinating info!

I have purchased the Narutotai Ginjo Nama Genshu locally so I can definitely give that one a shot.
Will try and hunt down the other suggestions.

Much thanks beefnoguy!

2 Likes

For those who live outside of San Francisco Bay Area, and want to buy Den Blanc and Den 11 (original), Umami Mart is selling the single pasteurized versions of both which enable them to ship safely (and willingly), and yes even to Southern California for those of you who want to try!

https://umamimart.com/collections/sake-and-spirits-sake-junmai/products/den-blanc-sake-btl-17-oz

https://umamimart.com/collections/sake-and-spirits-sake-junmai/products/den-batch-no-4-pasteurized-sake-btl-17-oz

They also have Den 11 Nama but have stipulated that it is in store pickup only and will not ship.

5 Likes

Marukai market in little Tokyo has one liter bottles of Dassai 23 on sale for $100 (usually $160). I know it’s not equivalent to some of the more craft sakes a lot of us drink, but I thought it was a good deal and could be a nice addition to a small thanksgiving dinner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tedorigawa virtual tasting on 12/15.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJNxvjDzWP/?igshid=3gfcl69uu4y6

4 Likes

An Impromptu Sake Event:
I just finished writing a blog post about tasting and (virtually) meeting Islander Sake of Honolulu, Hawaii.

I’m sharing the text below. You can check out the blog version for photos.

Last month, a friend shared two kinds of Junmai Ginjo made by Islander with me. You may have seen the post on Instagram. She wanted my honest opinion and feedback. I had never heard of the Sake brewery on Oahu, so I was happy to try something new.

Since we are all stuck at home, I tried pairing them with home cooking. For the Calrose, slightly cloudy ( Usunigori ) Sake, I tried it with Taiwanese spicy cucumbers and Chinese 5-spice fried Chicken. The quality of the Sake was on par with others brewed in the United States, and the pairing worked well, adding the mild sweetness and higher acidity to the oily, savory food helped balance out the meal, and the cloudy, milkier texture of the Sake helped to cut the heat from all the spices.

For the other Sake, made with Kitashizuku rice imported from Hokkaido, I wanted something mild and less greasy that wouldn’t fight with the Sake. I went with Nabe (pronounced “Nah, Bae.” meaning “hot pot”). This too was a decent pairing, but the Sake had more acidity then I was expecting and lacked body.

While these were not the best Sake ever, they were as good as any other Sake brewed outside Japan. I want to stress here that I enjoyed both Sake. But it is important to represent them accurately, and there are several interesting factors in this story…

Between trying these, I found out that there was someone helping the brewery who was visiting Long Beach, and our mutual friend wanted us to meet. We met outside and talked over coffee. Before she left, I was surprised (again) to receive three more kinds of Sake from Islander. One, a Junmai Daiginjo, that was Nama (pronounced “Nah, Ma.” meaning “unpasteurized”) had been brought over with ice packs, and the other two were brewed with Lilikoi (passionfruit) and Pineapple!

Now being in possession of five Sake from one brewery, I decided it would only be right to organize a tasting with other Sake Sommeliers. I wasn’t sure if we could manage it, but after some texts, we figured out how to split the bottles into 2 oz. samples, and distribute them to share over a Zoom call. While coordinating, someone asked if we could invite Islander Sake to join us. Why not try, right? Incredibly, generously, and with very little notice, they were able to make it work!

Chiaki Takahashi, the founder and head brewer (meaning they are indeed woman-owned and brewed!) joined us, as well as Tama Hirose, their head of Sales. Also in attendance were Paul from Nankai Shochu, James from Nova Brewing Co., and Sachiko from Tipsy Sake

Chiaki introduced herself, Islander Sake, and stayed to chat and answer all of our many, deeply nerdy, Sake questions. In addition to making great Sake from her home in Honolulu, her dream is to create a Sake research center on Oahu for aspiring brewers to learn the traditions and techniques for proper Sake brewing. Over the last three years, she has had to overcome many challenges, only to finally open their doors to the public this March… days before the Coronavirus shutdown. Her personal history is a fascinating story of relentlessly pursuing her goals and passions, so I have no doubt she will ultimately succeed.

Also worth mentioning, she acknowledged all of my feedback regarding the body and balance of the first two Junmai Ginjo , and went above and beyond in explaining the challenges (and unique opportunities) of brewing in the tropical climate of Hawaii, availability of Japanese rice and yeast strains outside of Japan, and her intentions and strategies moving forward. In doing so, I think everyone was blown away by how unquestionably deep her knowledge and understanding of Sake-making goes. The Nama Junmai Daiginjo we tasted was an excellent, semi-sweet, well-balanced Sake with a clear finish, classic Ginjo aroma, and more body. The fruited Sake tasted like a still (uncarbonated) Chu-hi.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Hi Times year end newsletter.

3 Likes

World Sake Import’s January virtual tour will Kinoshita Brewery, home to the Tamagawa brand and Japan’s first non-Japanese toji, Phil Harper. A great opportunity!
http://www.worldsake.com/events/eventJP210119tamagawa.html

3 Likes