Salt Bae Opened His First LA Restaurant Last Weekend, and Almost No One Noticed

To each their own, right? People are paying for the experience, as well as the food. Same as any other markup that we’re willing to pay (like booze at a restaurant versus for home consumption).

Just the same, I’ll gladly pay the $10 for a Bloomin’ Onion at Outback, but not $30 here. I would definitely not make it at home. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ngl this blooming onion looks pretty good

The person that buys the golden cap +
Baklava-

Just gonna throw this out there - that total bill is less than some sushi dinners I’ve seen on here. And I’m sure there was a lot more energy in BH.

3 Likes

What a cheese ball.

In the beginning of reading this thread I assumed he was someone not from L.A. who mistakenly imagines L.A. is one big reality TV show with pretentious wannabes who spend a lot of $ to eat gold covered food made by a ham. But apparently I live in a bubble and am the one who’s mistaken. :thinking:

1 Like

What sushi dinner is $800+? Even Urasawa was $500 a head at its peak

sgo $400ppx2

1 Like

Hayato is like 6 bills with 1 drink.

So, $1k for 2

1 Like

Dinner for 2.

Thought you were talking about for one person

Well, at least Sergio is actually there.

Funny enough, taking a whole onion and tearing it in half manually or punching it, and putting it on a plate is an actual thing in Turkish cuisine. He is Turkish, so this wouldn’t actually be completely out of left field at his restaurant (like it was at APL)

And someone would probably pay an ungodly wad of money for an onion this guy smashed himself :joy:

2 Likes

Gold onion - $50

1 Like

APL’s menu had tomato and onion salad, a classic East Coast steakhouse item. When they were first open, they ran out of tomatoes and some fuckup employee sent out the dish without them rather than 86ing it.

Oh, is THAT what happened? I remember FTCers having a field day with that one!

Evidently this is what it was supposed to be.

This is what it became

1 Like

You expect screwups at just-opened restaurants, but that was ridiculous.

It was supposed to be tomatoes and onions a la Peter Luger’s. Who knows what chain of fuckups it took to end up with raw onions on a plate.

Luger

There is absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever. The ode to Luger must be ripping the patron off. Or just be that thimble of sauce that used to be provided when the onions were half priced.

No evidence of what? The menu APL gave to Eater before they opened had tomatoes and onions, and the restaurant’s PR person confirmed to me that they never meant to charge $10 for a plate of onions.

apl

still waiting for my refund…

1 Like

I stand corrected.

I understand that to mean they always meant to serve plain onions on a plate - just for something less than $10.