Santa Ana/OC Recommendations

I hope this works out, their cakes are amazing! They have done larger custom Mille Feuille as well in addition to cake. Presentation and taste, ST Patisserie delivers.

For my Christmas party this past December. Should feed about 8 but they have a slightly larger. About $50 or so, I don’t recall the exact amount.

4 Likes

I saw this cake description on Black Market’s website “Pink Lemonade: Raspberry Cake, Lemon Simple Syrup, Lemon Curd, Berry Jam”. It might be a little too sweet for their taste. I’m calling them too.

I hope so too. They look amazing!

Havana is pretty good and will probably fit your needs. I’ve always preferred Bella Cuba for Cuban, but we just went there Wednesday, and all agreed that they’ve slipped a bit from a year or so ago. Maybe just an off night.

1 Like

Just throwing out a Santa Ana recommendation…

Potzoldencano

The pozole, enfrijolada, and cafe de olla (real cafe de olla).

This place doesn’t get enough love on here and on foodie media

4 Likes

Food on the interwebs looks delicious

Which location (branch) of the OC Courts? Habana would probably work best if you would all be coming from the Harbor branch (which, ironically, is not very near the harbor at all) than for Central (Santa Ana) or any of the other locations; however, parking can sometimes be hard for Habana. Memphis, next door, has its own lot and good Southern food but the atmosphere at Habana is nicer. If they are getting married in the Santa Ana court or one of the other branches, there are closer options I would recommend over Habana.

1 Like

Yes, it has slipped quite a bit in our experience!

Hi @NewTrial - The ceremony is at the Old OC Courthouse in Santa Ana. I looked up the distance. You’re right, it’s doable but not close to Habana. We have an afternoon resy. Do you have a closer suggestion? She wants a cool, romantic, patio vibe.

ST Patisserie cake is ordered! Chihiro is a sweetheart.

3 Likes

Depending on what time you were planning on, or if it might be willing to stay open a bit later for a large party, I was thinking of Tangata at the Bowers Museum. Private lot and a nice patio but I think it normally closes late afternoon.

Other good area options that I know have at least some outdoor seating Chapter One (smallish outdoor as I recall), Fleenor’s, and Playground. No outdoor seating but worth considering as well for the food and vibe are Irenia and Mix Mix.

All of them offer alcohol so toasting the happy couple should not be a problem.

1 Like

Thanks @NewTrial!

These are great entries to the thread. Lovin’ the Filipino recs. I think for this occasion Tangata seems like the nicest choice though. I’m not even sure I want to open the door to another restaurant at this point, since we have the Habana resy. Seems I’ve just been tasked with hiring a photog. Did I mention this is happening on Friday! Good lord.

:clinking_glasses: :revolving_hearts: :cake:

I am looking for a French restaurant for a celebratory dinner not too far from Irvine. Knife Pleat in South Coast Plaza and Marche Moderne in Crystal Cove both seem to be popular per Google etc. Any preferences between these two (or any other restaurants)?

Marche Moderne is about the best there is.

1 Like

OC Weekly review for Knife Pleat.
https://ocweekly.com/tony-esnaults-highly-anticipated-knife-pleat-arrives-at-south-coast-plaza/

:two_hearts: A Young Couple’s Nuptials at the Beautiful Old OC Courthouse in Santa Ana :two_hearts:

Celebrating at The LAB Anti-Mall - Costa Mesa

Artsy Charm Abounds

Ruin Bar

(internet photo)

If all you serve are drinks then they better be good. Affirmative! Even the happy hour drinks are :kissing_closed_eyes:. Very small but very cool spot. And very cat-centric… kinda’ like me.

Habana

(internet photo)

Checkout the little green homie who couldn’t get enough of the fruity beverage station.

The canopy gave the photos a pinkish orange tint. Pretty apropos for the occasion.

Bocaditos - puff pastry stuffed w/beef picadillo, (beef, capers, olives, tomato & raisins), on mango slaw, drizzled w/jalapeño crema

I’m a sucker for savory, stuffed puff pastry. These tasty bites did not disappoint.

Pork Croquettas - roasted pork, swiss, manchego, pickled onion, fire roasted tomato sauce

Another tasty bite.

Lechon Asado - roasted pork shoulder, pickled onion, garlic mojo sauce, rice, plantains, black bean sofrito

Half Roasted Chicken - pickled onion, garlic mojo sauce, rice, plantains, black bean sofrito

The pork shoulder and roasted chix were both cooked properly. The sour citrus or possibly even vinegar in the garlic mojo sauce was out of balance (way more tang than garlic). The tang was interesting, not bad and maybe it’s more traditional than I’ve had, but I didn’t really care for it. The plantains did nothing for me, especially after just having the delicious ones at Chichenitza in dtla. The bean sofrito was kinda’ bland.

Vegan Tamale en Cazuela - sofrito polenta, fire roasted tomato sauce, w/green salad & farmers market vegetable ragu

Media Noche - roasted pork shoulder, jamón, swiss cheese, dill pickles, roasted garlic-yellow mustard aioli, pressed in a sweet bread roll

Hamburguesa a la Habana - grilled beef patty, american & manchego cheeses, caramelized onion, crispy potato, dill pickle, lettuce, tomato and Habana secret sauce on brioche bun

Kid’s Mini Burgers

Nice Robust Coffee

I didn’t photograph or try every dish. But I’d say the general consensus was the food is satisfying, but safe. No real spice or flavor punches. Habana is definitely a winner for group events - nice atmosphere, good music, big tables, trained & friendly service, no automatic tip or surcharge (even for groups), and a menu to satisfy all palates and wallets. Our server, Andrea, was really on point - bringing the cake out with sparklers for everyone to see before cutting. I think they waived the cake cutting fee too.

Cake from ST Patisserie & Pastry School - Tustin :heart:

Lemon Layer Cake

Thank you! THANK YOU! For nudging me on this one. :heart_eyes: My cousin texted me the other day to say she can’t stop thinking about the cake. What makes it special? The subtle layers of flavors and textures - glaze/frosting, fruits, chewy macarons, moist layers of cake, a layer of mousse, a layer of a lemon curd, custard-like mixture (soft but firm & textured like you’d find in a blondie except it’s lemon, idk :blush:). I was worried we couldn’t get the cake on short notice. Especially since it’s a pastry school and the retail store has limited hours. But Chihiro was a sweetheart and put everything together beautifully. Even when I kept calling to request a bigger size.

We were too focused on the cake to order anything else, but here’s some photos I snapped while waiting…

My cousin, Lori aka Wonder Woman, who lives in OC stepped up to help me put everything together. Making photographer suggestions, mapping our errands & locations on Mapquest, helping to wrangle everyone at the courthouse and skipping out early with me to pickup and deliver the cake and oversee arrangements at Habana.

Afterward, A & I went to Wonder Woman’s house to hang out with our OC homies. She made dinner and we sat on the outdoor patio eating, drinking, talking, listening to kids frolicking in the neighbor’s pool and watching Aziz Ansari & Ali Wong on Netflix… On their big screen TV outside! A. says I’d go out of my mind, but I don’t know, I’m kinda’ lovin’ the ‘Burbs.

BBQ Beef Ribs

She rubbed them the night before, baked them in a shallow pan tightly covered with “foil paper” for an hour, then grilled and basted for about another 30 minutes. Perfect!

Kimchi from Zion Market in Irvine.

Super spicy, super ocean funky and super delicious.

Yep, cornbread. She and her mom’s cooking-style is what I like to call Asian Soul Food. You should try their potato salad! It’s my favorite bite of every year. :blush:

It was a wonderful day! Thanks @attran99 @js76wisco @A5KOBE @OCSteve @NewTrial & Friends for helping!

12 Likes

Man the crust on the bottom of the cornbread looks amazing.

Looks like you guys had a nice reception and wedding. Congrats to the happy couple. I have to make my way to the new ST Patisserie. Maybe this weekend. I’m due for one of those passion fruit domes.

1 Like

Thanks @js76wisco!

I definitely want to try the passion fruit dome!

So glad that everything turned out well and everyone had a lovely day in the OC! That cake! Now I want one, too.

1 Like

Thanks again @attran99!