Santa Barbara?

Barbareño has a large outdoor area with well separated tables. We went recently and about to go back next week.

Also we are at Los Agaves in their parking lot patio setup

1 Like

We are up there by the coast too next weekend :). Take a ride out to Linn’s Farm for pies and jams. And check out Thacher

1 Like

We are wussing out. My wife and daughter saw the temps for next weekend. Rerouting down to La Jolla and SD instead. I guess I’m drinking beer instead of wine next weekend.

I marked all the wineries and places you listed on IG. We’ll be back up there when it cools down.

1 Like

Oh wow. Crazy. Didn’t see it. Only 80 in Cambria meehhehheheh

100+ every day in Paso next week. No pool at the air bnb. Kids are spoiled.

Yea nobody needs that mess.

1 Like

Thanks all. We got a late start Saturday and ended up in the snarl of traffic in Malibu so ended up just visiting friends in the area but I am saving these recommendations for the next road trip!

Finally tried La Super Rica and it’s as good as I expected. The reason we never went there is because of how much we adore Los Agaves next door and we’ve been there 2 dozen times. :slight_smile:

But this post is about yet another return to Barbareno. The black cod dish was most inventive but we loved everything

8 Likes

18 Likes

What are those things that look like thin slices of a giant carrot?

LiMu Emu sighting!

1 Like

Surprisingly strawberries

Pizza and salad at Lucky Penny were a nice break on our long drive back down the 101 during the polar vortex of 2023. San Jose to Brea on the 5 is usually a 5 hour affair. The drive today took 8.5 hours with our late lunch and 1 other potty break.

Forgot the salad pic but very nice chopped Italian salad. 2 types of cheese, salami, fennel, lettuces, tomatoes, chickpeas and pepperoncini.

Rosso and Pepperoni were very good. The menu says East Coast pepperoni. We forgot to ask where they are from but nice curly disks. The Rosso has a good amount of garlic confit.

The meatball were just ok. A little dense. The sauce has a bit of chili and wasn’t my favorite. Good crusty bread though.

They have Strauss soft serve. Doesn’t matter if it was 55 and windy. We got a swirl and it was great. Highly recommend saving some room for soft serve.

10 Likes

I just did two postings about SB where I live. Great restaurant town and some of my favorite bites in the world.

Amazing pizza at Bettina’s. Pepperoni with honey and Meyer lemon, sausage, red onion, fennel, pistachio etc-just delicious.

Last weekend we had Corazon at the public market. Ceviche tostado, octopus and shrimp tacos, the Norteno with filet, beans and guacamole and a quesadilla birria.

Other favorites are avocado jalapeño smash burgers at Third Window Brewery.

We love La Superica (#16 and a chili relleno), molcajete sea and earth at Los Agaves, Empty Bowl in the public market for great Thai, Sama Sama for delicious Malaysian with a Californian twist and Arigato’s for Japanese. For special occasions we go to Lucky’s or the downstairs patio at San Ysidro Ranch.

12 Likes

Hi Food Talkers! Can you recommend a swanky restaurant for a holiday dinner in-or-around Santa Barbara? Thanks.

A few thoughts:

Blackbird
Bouchon (not related to the Thomas Keller Bouchon)
Caruso’s
Stonehouse (San Ysidro Ranch)
The Lark

3 Likes

Thanks @NewTrial!

We are currently in SB (have to post some pics later next week) and so far really enjoyed The Lark, Loquita and Black Sheep and are quite hopeful for Barbareno tonight

2 Likes

Swanky no but Lilly’s tacos was delicious, quick and cheap. Also love McConnell’s for dessert.

3 Likes

Barbareno was outstanding and perhaps the best of a number of great dinners the last few days. If you want something swanky, elegant Barbareno might be the one to go in SB

1 Like