Sawtelle opening?

Benitora’s been closed for awhile, but the curtains are now closed, and there’s some “work material” (buckets and drop clothes and such) outside. Internet search didn’t reveal anything. Any intel about a new eatery opening there???

Yu Bo is that you, bro?

1 Like

Don’t tase (oops I meant tease) me, bro.

Yu mad, bro?

NoMad, bro.

Ya try to ask a serious question, and ya get in in return is… ::sigh:: :wink:

3 Likes

From what I’ve been told it’ll be a pretty intimate affair (think N/Naka). What I garner from that is that it won’t need to be a prime location like Sawtelle with super high rents. But then again, nothing confirmed at this point.

2 Likes

Walked by the location this AM. Construction is obviously ongoing onsite. The paperwork posted doesn’t reveal much, listing a shell LLC as operators.

Non sequitur: Mizu212 next door is closed until further notice - the handwritten signage indicates some sort of last second emergency.

1 Like

The LA Times said that Hip Hot’s chef is opening a restaurant on Sawtelle this fall named Mala Town. I’ve been trying to figure out where it’s going to be. Maybe that’s what’s going in the old Benitora spot?

1 Like

Good find. I imagine that’s probably it (I don’t think there’s another space that looks like it’s under renovation).

Some reviews of her SGV place here:

Not too promising, but I’ll be up for trying it on Sawtelle, if the price isn’t horrible.

It sucked when we went but it was early days.

Signage is up! Maybe a July/August opening?

Glad this post got bumped. Sounds interesting.

I don’t think I’ve ever read an article that used the word “engendered” more than once.

A gold foil star.

Mala Town’s having a soft opening right now. Dinner service only. Bring cash! No menu pics yet. The best I could find were some reviews on Yelp.

Writeup in Eater LA