Schellz Pizza Co

Some earlier reports:

2 Likes

Welcome to FTC @hanboooli!

1 Like

Update - they started offering their house-made shokupan every Sunday. Pre-order only thru Toast. Schellz Pizza Co

According to their menu description - “Our shokupan is sweet, delicate and very delicious. It is a family style pullman loaf (13”x5”x5”). This bread makes amazing French/avocado toast, and is quite delicious by itself. We are quite proud of this bread and feel it’s time to share it with you.”

Sounds and looks amazing, will give it a try this Sunday!

5 Likes

I picked up the bread last Sunday, it’s wonderful. We ate it more like a pastry than like a bread - just cut or ripped off pieces and ate it straight, sometimes with butter.

When they handed me the loaf, my first impression was a physical one. It was big, and heavy.

The bread is super-moist, any more and it would be literally wet. It’s soft with great resiliency. You can see it as you pull a slice apart, and feel it in that final part of the bite where the dough resists with a bit of spring. I think this texture really meets a certain East Asian ideal. My Taiwanese parents were impressed.

The flavor is sweet, though not quite King’s Hawaiian sweet. The richness reminds me of a brioche, but apparently Schellz’ dough is vegan - if not for the butter brushed on the outside of the loaf.

And since we’re talking dough, I should mention their breadsticks:

It’s basically a full-blown version of their pizza with garlic-herb cheese topping, sliced into thin strips. Same detroit-style effect on the sides of the pan, and the entire bottom is crisped with avocado oil. So you get a breadstick with different kinds of crispy running its whole length, a great textural contrast playing off of their soft “Hokkaidough.”

18 Likes

Wow those breadsticks look amazing.

1 Like

Damn those look like my idealized version of breadsticks will get next time! Like Pizza Hut cheesy sticks to the nth level!

4 Likes

Looks Eater LA found them The Best Dishes Eaten By Eater Los Angeles Food Writers This Week - Eater LA. Schellz “Hokkaidough” pizza and bread is about to blow up…

“Schellz, which began as a very underground pizza operation in Downtown LA in 2020, is now offering its unique “hokkaidough” pizzas and loaves every week (the weekend-only bread sells out fast) from a ghost kitchen on Crenshaw just outside of Inglewood…”

3 Likes

Just a brief OT diversion… Does that meant that Pizza Hut cheesy sticks are worth eating??? I may need to try that…

Back to the topic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YES. But only with the Marinara Sauce with some of that package parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

3 Likes

I make Hokkaido style milk bread pretty frequently—love how soft and squishy it is, so I would imagine the milk and butter (not typical in traditional Detroit) in this dough would make it extra soft and nice contrast to a good frico?

4 Likes

Warrior: I’m not a fan of Asian breads generally (too soft), but this pizza is worth eating and has a raison d’être. The salad is passable.

Peony: I like the texture of the bread but find it slightly on the sweet side for pizza. It reminds me of Chinese bakery breakfast bread, so I still enjoy it.

I don’t think they use milk and butter in their pizza dough, hence they have vegan options (the Sicilian).
They call their dough is inspired by “Shokupan” however with a twist.

And yes, the pizza is soft and pillowy in the middle and crispy on the outside. The corner bite is addictive. :wink:

3 Likes

Got Godzilla (their version of meat lover) from Schellz for dinner tonight. Goes really really good with a class of dry red.

Paste their description - “Godzilla is the meat and spice lovers dream! This special pizza has steak, spicy sausage, cup n char pepperoni, black forest bacon, finished with thai chillies and ground Aleppo pepper. Breathe fire and satiate the hungriest of beasts.”

5 Likes

are you affiliated with Schellz in any way?
All your posts in this short time here are related to Schellz.

I mean it’s actually cool if you are—this board I welcomes chefs and restauranteurs and many do post in past or currently (Kevin Bludso of the bbq joint famously posted on CH for pple to try his spot before it got discovered)—it’s just nice and only appropriate if you disclose it.

14 Likes

I am a pizza fan and a huge fan of Schellz - been following them around since they started in DTLA. That said, yes I do know the owner and am a big supporter of them.

I frequent this place often and always excited to share my experience, especially with their new menu items!

3 Likes

I’m batman.

12 Likes

Influencer and Batman at the same time!?!?! Damnnnnn!

3 Likes

O hei there!

3 Likes

starring @chrishei

10 Likes

I don’t think I need Batman, sending inspector @PorkyBelly signal instead

5 Likes