Scottsdale brief trip report

Was in town for 2 nights. Main (actually, only) purpose was to see Taliesin West (coming down from a road trip starting in Colorado). And once we got into town, the main purpose was to try to reduce risk of heat stroke while eating outdoors (so we stayed near our hotel in Old Town). :stuck_out_tongue:

Will post pics later since Iā€™m catching up on work.

The eating here in general seems pretty good. Pricing seems a bit precious, but thatā€™s not surprising, and every place is relatively expensive now w/ pandemic/inflation/etc.

First night, we were going to try Montauk (which I guess in kind of NE seafood-themed?). The insanely loud music (which seems to be very common in Scottsdale) was really off-putting, so we ended up going to Drunk Monk down the block (which had no wait on a Friday night). The place is sort of Mexican/sushi roll fusion? We were mainly happy that we had found a place w/ fans and misters outdoors, soā€¦ At any rate, we had the guac and chips. The guac portion size for $12 seemed more like a tasting menu, although the guac itself was mighty tasty (as was the red salsa; the green one was too medicinal for me). Chopped salad (w/ kale) was very good and reminded me of a higher-end version of the Israeli cous-cous salad from TJā€™s (right down to the dressing). I liked that at the kale was cut into small pieces. Shrimp tacos were good, and the Morning Dew rolls were wrapped in vaguely green, really delicate paper-y thing (rice wrapper, perhaps?); sauce was served on the side, which was nice (so the roll was not dripping in sauce). Do wish there wouldā€™ve been more than only 5 pieces, though!

Lunch the next day was at one of the Pizzeria Bianco locations. Report on that here: June 2022 Rundown - #60 by paranoidgarliclover

Forgot to mention that we also had the spiedini, which easily couldā€™ve been an app for 4 (rather than just the 2 of us).

Dinner on Sat was at Barrio Queen. The fish taco was quite respectable (although peak Rickyā€™s has nothing to worry about) and the tinga sauce for the tinga taco was excellent. Tamale was a bit tragic. Huge pieces of chicken, and the masa was WAY too thick and firm.

Wanted to try Butters or The Breakfast Club on the way out the next day, but the lines were LONG. We ended up at Morning Squeeze. ā€œCaliā€ benedict was fine. Pancakes were a bit overdone and dry, and I donā€™t a ā€œstuffedā€ batter (w/ fruit) does a pancake any favors. Nice outdoor seating (the bar area is essentially open, so the interior would likely get decent ventilation, too).

2 Likes