Seafood Palace/Seafood Village - preferred location?

Regarding Chiu Chow cold crab:

It appears there are multiple ways to do this dish. The key is in the approach and despite it being, well, a cooked crab served cold, techique, preparation, and sourcing are still key to the end results. You want a juicy vibrant fatty meaty natural tasting cold crab that’s refreshing, not the super cold dried out over boiled stuff from supermarkets or tourist traps.

First the varietal is important, same for season (which determines the size and fat content). Original South China Sea or off the waters of Hong Kong blue crabs (they call flower crabs over there) still yield the best original flavor and our American crabs won’t come close. US$200 to $300 for a large cold crab at a well known establishment over there isn’t a surprise. The cost of Hayatomakase!

Next is putting the live crabs in cold storage to numb them, then kill them quickly (that’s the key). One other approach could be to inject the crabs and numb them with say Chinese wine (“rose essence” for example) prior to steaming. A fusion version of White Burgundy injection? Lol… maybe undiluted sake is better.

If instant Mortal Kombat “finish him” killing…think of Japanese fishermen and vendors doing ikijime to retain freshness and flavor. One approach is to take a chopstick and ahem… jam it right up the crab’s mouth. Then open up the crab at the bottom and clean out its organs.

Steam, and rotate the crab to keep from the crab losing too much fat and natural juices.

Allow the crab to come down to room temperature and chill it in the refrigerator. Duration might be key here as well. Or the shortcut is to immerse in ice.

Dip sauce should traditionally be black vinegar and ginger, some do other variations. There may be some salt involved in the crab as well.

Maybe these are the reasons why I don’t really try this prep with Dungies here and just go for other stir fry or steamed preparations that work better with American crabs.

2 Likes

You can get the powdered sugar fried taro dessert at 888 Seafood in Rosemead, which has a similar Chiu Chow bent. Their 4 way vegetable is much better than Seafood Village.

1 Like

I’m back again lol

Review to follow in a hour or so

Amuse of boiled peanuts and pickled veg.

Chiu Chow Spicy Chicken.

This was disappointing, although the chicken was juicy there was not much flavor here at all.

Chiu Chow Special Stir Fry

Last visits Taro and Chives was a hit and so was this! Whoever is on the wok for these dishes is delivering it. Great wok flavor here. This sauté has sprouts, dried tofu, dried shrimp, ground pork, and some type of pickled veg.

Shrimp Ball

Tastes some water chestnuts in the filling. The fry was fine. I had something similar before at Little Saigons Trieu Chau.

Mashed Taro is sooooo good!

5 Likes

I know, right?!

1 Like

Check Flavorful Origins on Netflix they are showing Chow cuisine.