Seasoning lentils

Random question, but how do people like to season their lentils? I make lentils to go into my salads, and, not surprisingly, the lentils are kind of boring AF in their native state.

What do people do to make their salad lentils tastier?

1 Like

Marinate them in vinaigrette.

4 Likes

What @robert said but go heavier on the mustard -2:1 vinegar to oil and lots of herbs. Then maybe cucumber, cherry tomatoes or what ever you like to mix in

3 Likes

This. my favroite lentil salad I use Pomegrante molasses and olive oil. Add Shallots because I think they infuse better. Chives also lend just enough grassiness. I put it all together, then let it all get to know each other in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you can use fresh veggies like persian cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Top with sea salt or feta.

4 Likes

Do you use aromatics when you cook them? How to Cook Dried Beans I find that boosts the flavor even before they are dressed.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t been.

After posting yesterday, I also did an internet search, and Bon Appetit (I think) suggested something as simple as onions and a bay leaf for aromatics. I’m a lazy (and not particularly adept) cook, but even I can do that. :slight_smile: I’m also thinking of using chicken or veg stock.

2 Likes

If I’m going to marinate lentils for a salad, I’ll add the aromatics to the marinade, for the fresher flavors and aromas.

I wouldn’t cook lentils for a salad in broth, unless maybe it was going to be a warm salad to be served with meat.

1 Like

Do you think the resulting flavor is too murky?

I guess. Just seems wrong to my taste.

i subscribe to the big mac theory of taste equilibrium as postulated by frederic morin in his first joe beef cookbook. the big mac has achieved a perfect balance of sweet, salty, fatty, sour and “bite” so that when you taste it, your body convinces itself that it’s somehow nutritious and makes you take another bite of it. substitute acidity for sour & spiciness for bite and you can season anything to taste. he used lentils as an example. if you just add salt, the broth ends up briny. so he’ll also add dashes of vinegar, pinches of sugar, cayenne and depending on whether the lentils are warm or cold, butter or oil, until a balance is reached, and you get lentils that taste like “lentils on steroids”.

your equilibrium is up to you. but you still get lentils, instead of lentils masked or overwhelmed by seasoning.

5 Likes