September 2022 Rundown

#7 on this list. My mom recommends ordering in advance if it’s not a holiday and you don’t want to wait for them to be prepared. The one in Monterey Park burned down, but they have other locations not mentioned in the article.

3 Likes

Did a quick run down to sd and San Clemente this week

San Diego - Wayfarer pastry their scones are the best I’ve had

San Clemente - fig 313. Solid European influenced cooking and a very nice patio. Nothing was over the top next level but everything was well balanced and delicious we would definitely return.

Gibronis pizza great carmelizAtion and the crust was super light. On par with dtown not as good as quartersheets. Wayyy better than pizza port the local og pizza hangout.

17 Likes

So good. Was there a big line?

No line I went at 130 pm tho so pickings were a bit slim but still delicious offerings.

You can order online and skip the line and they have pizzas on fridays and Saturday’s that I want to try at some point.

1 Like

There was this, though the lede is a bit buried :wink: …but, it does briefly cover savories.

3 Likes

Had a couple of hours free in Beverly Hills this week…

Chaumont -
It was around lunch time so I put in an order via ToastTab for pick up.
The croissants were not piping hot, but they were delicious!
Pro-tip: double-check your order if you have time. They shorted me 2 chocolate almond croissants and 1 flourless chocolate cake. It was too inconvenient for me to put in a complaint and return for them to make it right.

Sweet Lady Jane -
Did anyone know that it was down and across the street from Chaumont? I was this week years old when I discovered that.
Stopped in for some treats before leaving the area. That triple berry cake doesn’t disappoint!
Like everyone else, prices have increased. A 6” cake is $65 now. I remember paying $50-55 in the past. Still delicious!

9 Likes

Yep. Do it.

So question for all of you, anyone have a recommendation for the best turkey club? I’m so tired of wet turkey and iceberg.

Kind of an obscure rec but Nazo’s Bakery in DTLA has an excellent turkey club. Not modern or anything by any stretch of the imagination, but an excellent rendition of the classic. Great chocolate chip cookies too.

7 Likes

Bavel was absolutely packed last night. Service was great. Food was excellent. Our favorites were the dips, pitas, shrimp, tabouleh and cauliflower. We really could have just ordered these and been totally happy. The drinks were just ok. Not as good as Bestia or MJD. The Boulevadier was too sweet. We did enjoy some chilled red wine with dinner.

18 Likes

Did the chowpups have any favorites?

1 Like

What is that last dish and is it on the same laffa as saffy’s?

1 Like

lamb neck

3 Likes

No pics b/c one was a business lunch and b/c I’m not sure if photos from Fogo de Chao are all that interesting or illuminating.

Went to Lulu’s yesterday for lunch. They now also offer a prix-fixe menu. I should’ve at least taken a photo of that, but… whoops. Starter was a tomato and anchovy salad on toast. I actually didn’t get a TON of anchovy flavor, but the dish was really well-balanced and very tasty. Main was some sort of white fish + clams + a really delish piece of toast w/ some sort of savory spread on it. Dessert was yogurt + peaches (such tiny pieces…) + strawberry (sp?) sorbet.

Our meal also included a bit of rosé, but I didn’t have any.

And, as an unexpected treat, Alice Waters herself came over! Not sure why, although I wasn’t complaining. I couldn’t hear much of what she said, but I think she has some relationship w/ the UC system to combine her vision of ingredient sourcing + education? I think UC Davis already has such a collaboration (Alice Waters Institute For Edible Education | The Edible Schoolyard Project). She was incredibly gracious.

I thought the food was quite delicious, and given how inflation’s affected the price of, well, everything, I can’t say I thought it was particularly over-priced. Certainly, the setting could work for a variety of occasions, and everyone in our group really liked the food (we all had the prix-fixe menu). The manager (or somm) was excellent. The rest of the servers seemed a little green but were certainly very polite and professional.

Fogo de Chao (for @hungryhungryhippos!!!). I’ve never been to one b/f, so I can’t say how it compares. It was very good, certainly a great setting for large party (or if you just feel like a lot of meat). That whole part of El Segundo feels very much like (my one visit to) Scottsdale, thankfully minus the 100 deg temps (last night, at least).

The meat was largely good, but there were a few misses. The rib (can’t remember the meat type), parmesan pork, and lamb chop were, IMHO, really over-cooked. I think some people might be okay w/ the lamb chop done-ness (I was not), but I can’t imagine anyone would’ve been okay w/ the tough pork and rib. The polenta was also just not good.

The sirloin might’ve been my favorite? But I honestly think I liked the bread the best. :wink: I didn’t get much from the salad bar and thus could not determine if the salads were totally underdressed or if that was just an optical illusion. The “bacon candy” had a little bit of spicy heat, which was nice. Service was good (at least some of the wait staff said they had also worked at the BH location).

The place was PACKED inside last night.

I think it’s fine for what it is, I’d happily go again, but I’m not in a RUSH to go again.

7 Likes

Bavel is killin’ it these days. We also had a stupendous meal there not long ago - Particularly fitting for bringing out-of-town guests wanting to experience our L.A. dining scene.

3 Likes

No chow pups last night. We went with other adults. It was nice going out for dinner.

Lamb neck schwarma comes on the laffa with tahini, a zhoug like sauce and pickled beets, celery and cabbage all served on the side. Haven’t been to Saffys but all the pitas and breads were money last night at Bavel.

4 Likes

:clap::champagne::clap:

1 Like

Glad you were able to go to fogo. The cheese balls aka pao quejio (sic?) are delicious fillers partially made out of tapioca and they expand in your stomach forcing you to eat less I always try to limit them lol.

3 Likes

Which is why I only ate one until I had had several servings of meat! Bwahahahahah.

Oh, I forgot to mention that they had some ?grilled goat cheese (optional pour of honey on top, which I declined), which was really delicious.

1 Like

wow that sounds new and amazing, you’re really making me want to go now lol