September 2022 Rundown

Petit Trois (l’original) -
Dropped in for lunch while I was in the neighborhood for LACMA. Sergio was not in residence as he was at The Golden Door.

Vichyssoise
Haven’t had this in quite some time and it’s been warm so a cold soup while sitting outside seemed ideal. It was light and refreshing, but also creamy and luxurious.

Moules Frites
I really enjoyed the Thai curry style broth with coconut milk here. The broth drank like another soup with bright citrus and lemongrass notes. The giant piece of grilled bread soaked it up. Fries were solid and great in the broth or with a side of garlic aioli.

Service remains very good. Tables were easily obtainable during lunch on Saturday.

16 Likes

Not sure it’s worth a trip but if you are in the area some pretty good rates for happy hour! At Dono on the SM / Brentwood border

12 Likes

Also bang bang opportunities

#Live

7 Likes

And your thoughts on the food??? :slight_smile:

Besides having a bunch of paellas on the menu, I don’t think it is particularly Spanish but as a modern American place, the “tapas” were pretty good. I’d probably skip the jamón Croquetas next time and try the cod instead. The plating on the spicy tuna inside the piquillo was creative. It’s nice to see a good selection of sherry’s on the wine list.

4 Likes

Royal Grill one block away from the hell hole at 44th and 6th. Chicken Tikka with white sauce, green sauce, and hot sauce.

NYC corner deli/bodega baconeggcheesesaltpepperketchup

11 Likes

Strong work. Love the Gotham food reports. Keep 'em coming.

1 Like

IMG_4755.HEIC

The weekend started off with balloons on the ground. Not popped but walked on. A little 3rd St madness near Ecco un Poco. Crema Catalana & Fig gelato. I thought they’d layer the fig over the crema, but the crema kicked things off for the fig!

IMG_4759.HEIC

IMG_4780.HEIC

I didn’t tell Brandon but that night at his counter was my birthday. And I’m so happy I was able to spend it at Hayato. I sit there, listen, relax, space out, chat and eat. I don’t know much about food, and I know even less about life, but his is one of my favorite mashups.

IMG_4790.HEIC

IMG_4795.HEIC

Watari Bune Junmai Daiginjo

IMG_4797.HEIC

IMG_4812.HEIC

Next up is Bell’s and a short stay in Los Alamos. I used to make a handful of road trips up to the Bay Area every year and I’d drive back down Wednesday. I could have justified Tuesdays but Monday was a little too early. With my schedule it didn’t make sense, I’d rather have spent that extra time in the Bay.

This meant though that I never had a chance to try Bell’s. Sure I could have driven up to Los Alamos from LA but honestly that never occurred to me.

I checked the menu a few times a week leading up to the reservation. The week before I noticed a corn risotto they’d had on the menu wasn’t there anymore. This bummed me out as I’d been looking forward to it.

I happened to check day of and what do you know?

!TOMATO RISOTTO!
roasted Red Torch tomatoes, Mimolette cream

IMG_4827.HEIC

Empty plate where Rusty’s Sourdough sat. Maybe my favorite sourdough I’ve had in a while as it wasn’t… showcasing the sour. I don’t know how else to say it. I have a high tolerance for sour and acid and something about expecting a sharp tang but then getting the subtle bite was really nice and paired perfect with the Salad of Finley Farms Lettuces.

IMG_4818 2.HEIC

Le Vieux Donjon, Roussane/Clariette

IMG_4833 2.HEIC

“Vitello Tonnato”
ris de veau, heirloom tomato, sourdough croutons, tonnato sauce

IMG_4819 2

Chilled Summer Vegetable Potage
squash, Peruviana beans, basil pistou, feta, chickpea pansies

IMG_4820.HEIC

Steak au Poivre
5 oz culotte, Steve’s peppercorn sauce & frites

IMG_4826

IMG_4829.HEIC

Saffron Angel Food Cake
passion fruit, white chocolate, strawberries

IMG_4835 2.HEIC

Gâteau Breton

IMG_4836.HEIC

IMG_4837.HEIC

IMG_4842.HEIC

IMG_4845.HEIC

IMG_4856.HEIC

IMG_4871.HEIC

IMG_4890.HEIC

The rest of the time up there was a lot of driving and wandering around which wound up leading us to Casmalia and Hitching Post #1.

This is another spot that was always in the back of my head. As soon as we arrived it all made sense. I had a Beefeater martini and a rib eye.

Plus artichoke, linguisa and a rack of lamb.

IMG_4877

IMG_4879

IMG_4880

On to Bar Le Côte. A lot of fun. Some guy celebrating his 74th birthday (?) wandering around the dining room pouring tastes for the crew from some ’74 Burgess Cellars. He seemed to be a winemaker himself.

IMG_4898.HEIC

I’ve thought off and on about moving to a town like this and working in a restaurant as there’s such a different energy than anything in major cities, but it’s also hard to lose that connection to metropolis when it’s all you know.

We started off with oysters, uni, fries and Champagne. I love fries of all shapes and sizes so going from the fries at Bell’s to Hitching Post to BLC was a treat. Even though Hitching Post style are my favorite I think the energy of the day led to BLC with their spice blend being my top choice overall.

Dayboat scallop crudo
Pickled mighty cap black pearl mushrooms, crème fraîche, dill pollen

Domaine Du Bouchot, Sauvignon Blanc
IMG_4892.HEIC

Brentwood Summer Corn
wild Mexican shrimp, Santa Barbara sea urchin, shrimp

IMG_4893.HEIC

Whole roasted sea bream
Romesco sauce, grilled lemon

IMG_4895.HEIC

Arroz verde
Vegetarian paella, cherry tomato, summer squash, shishito peppers, basil

IMG_4897.HEIC

Spanish citrus olive oil cake
Plums, Caña de Cabra, honey, fennel pollen

IMG_4902.HEIC

Pedro Ximénez sherry, vanilla ice cream

IMG_4903.HEIC

Some drinks from Sawa. Glad I got to try this spot, thanks @porkybelly for the invite. Also thankful for the second piece of cheesecake.

My vote for new Monopoly piece.

IMG_4941.HEIC

Shiso Collins

IMG_4908.HEIC

Dashi Martini
Almost like a “clean” dirty martini

IMG_4917.HEIC

Matsui Sakura Cask

IMG_4928.HEIC

Boulevardier - Bartender’s (Perfect) Choice

IMG_4933.HEIC

Technically in the dictionary Saffy’s comes before Sawa but on this night it was the other way around. When we left around 11 Saffy’s was still movin and groovin

IMG_4954.HEIC

IMG_4885.HEIC

IMG_5031.HEIC

A few nights later I realized that if I walked a little further than I’d planned I would wind up at Horses. Made perfect sense. Somehow my favorite bar seat was open. It’d been a while so it felt good to be back after a break.

Tailspin, Insalata Verde & Boudin Basque to Liz’s Long Island & Ricotta Ravioli to Daiquiri & Marsala Custard

IMG_5021.HEIC

IMG_5022.HEIC

IMG_5023.HEIC

IMG_5033.HEIC

IMG_5058.HEIC

28 Likes

Happy belated birthday!

3 Likes

Thanks @J_L!! :sunglasses:

happy birthday. team :chicken: or team :cow:?

2 Likes

I wear a crossover :chicken: & :lobster: hat similar to those A’s/Giants hats

1 Like

Happy birthday! What a way to celebrate!

1 Like

Thanks @attran99!! Yeah it was a wonderful week

1 Like

The last 2 pics are so Westworld (and better than the sh*t they put out this past season)!

Happy b-day!

1 Like

Thanks!! lol I love that comparison, even though I agree about the last season. I’ve been very forgiving of westworld and even enjoyed season 3 but yeah…

into the mind of a true eater… an epic sequence of eating

3 Likes

Thank you! yeah this was a fun week of eating and one that makes the other weeks in between worth it

3 Likes

Mom’s Haus, https://eatmomshaus.com/, has become my go to takeout place. I have been working through the menu. Had gumbo the other night; it was excellent. Didn’t take a picture as a brown dish in a styrofoam container isn’t exactly photogenic. Last night I had the shrimp and grits. Shrimp were perfectly cooked; grits were creamy and buttery, and the spice level was just right. I didn’t even add hot sauce.

12 Likes

Ba le bolsa

Was ok bread was kinda doughy and outside was not crispy but soft. Egg was perfectly cooked but just didn’t reach the heights of past visits. Pate was smooth but quite salty in some bites

7 Likes