September 2022 Rundown

Has @LouisianaMouth seen this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know.

Glad you enjoyed some meals here in the central coast. I moved out here two years ago and have zero regrets leaving LA. Though I have been down there more for work these days! Heading to Hitching Post tonight actually for the first time!

4 Likes

Folks Pizzeria in Costa Mesa is killing it. The lines on Saturday were very long. At 5:30 the lines were 1:30-2 hours long. Small place with ~18 tables. Mozza like pizza. We thought the pizza was on par or better than Mozza. The salads and sides are not up to par but this place is legit. Love the all natural wine list too. Meatballs and red sauce were outstanding.

18 Likes

I showed @LouisianaMouth …she says it looks right…but we have to get over the hill to try Mom’s Haus soon. Been on the short list for a little while.

3 Likes

Mmm, Gateau Basque.

1 Like

That’s awesome yeah I think in an old thread we were talking about Ember up in Arroyo Grande. Love that place

We showed up at Hitching Post at 4:30 on a Tuesday and when we left the entire dining room and bar was full. Super fun vibes

1 Like

Yes yes. I need to get to Bar Le cote. I am going this Tuesday for a Thai pop up one of the chefs their does on their closed days. Hitching Post was great. Had a res for 7 such a fun vibe. So much food and the steak was cooked right. Who doesn’t love black cherry ice cream. Will go back for sure. Still need to try Jackos, it’s a mixed review with the locals here.

3 Likes

Bar le Cote Happy Hour is a lotta fun and a solid Chapter One of a double-bang. Bottles of sparkling are 50% off - some very nice selections too.

Oysters, Peel ‘n’ Eats, some fries and you can still hit an early reservation at HP2, Industrial Eats, etc.

3 Likes

Be forewarned; they are only open until 7, they don’t have a liquor license, and they often run out of things. That said I would love to meet you for a weekend lunch. Just drop me a line when you can make it.

1 Like

Happy Birthday @butteredwaffles! Great report!

2 Likes

Thanks @TheCookie!!

1 Like

Damn I’m finally going back to the office down there this week and had been looking forward to my Ba Le fix. Should I be looking elsewhere for my banh mi?

2 Likes

I went afternoon so maybe it was just an off day for the bread. I’d say give ‘em another try. I’m definitely going to stop by again just to make sure it wasn’t just a one off.

Love to see it😎

So sorry to hear that good luck

They had savory Suzhou mooncakes last year at Auntie Qiu’s Kitchen in Arcadia.

2 Likes

Just once a week so I’ll manage :slight_smile:

Tried the Sportsman’s Lodge location of Uovo tonight. Underwhelmed. Dark, loud and crowded, although our waitress was a lovely person. Food was okay. Instead of flying in their pasta from Italy every day they should just buy it from Leo as Bulgarini’s pasta is better. Their pasta is good, but, to be honest not only is Leo’s better but mine is better.
Sauces were okay. I had my heart set on vongole but they were out of clams so I had the pomodoro. Pretty good. The lovely wife had the artichoke pasta. It was pretty good, but not as good as what I make at home. Wine was pretty good. Better than Charles Shaw for $16/glass. The prices are reasonable, but the portions are quite small. I suspect this is because they intend for you to order several different dishes for a single eater.
Disappointing. We won’t be returning.

My artichoke pasta with nettle noodles;

10 Likes

Haven’t been during the pandemic times and have only been to the Santa Monica location. Hoping it was just an off night for them (b/c I’ve really liked it in the past), but I also imagine you are an amazing cook. :slight_smile:

Partner won’t order roast chicken for the same reasons (he can do a better job at home for less $). But we also haven’t ordered roasted chicken at any super expensive places!

1 Like