Sergio's 106 Seafood Underground

The food here is legit, the sergio-cooked snook blew away the overcooked, bland, snook i had at coni’seafood recently. @Chowseeker1999, @Hungrydrunk, @Bookwich, @Ns1, @A5KOBE, @JeetKuneBao, @TheCookie

The word must have gotten out because the place was at capacity with people waiting for tables on a sunday afternoon. Best to arrive early lest you wait over an hour for your snook. There’s now a fully enclosed tent canopy with side walls to protect from the elements and the cold la winters.

pictures courtesy of @moonboy403 and @PorkyBelly

sergio

tortillas
great with the salsa and ceviches

marlin tacos
meaty and smoky marlin with cheese and avocado in a crisped shell. more like a marlin quesadilla, delicious.

camarones en salsa de langostinos
nicely spiced but overpowered with acid

green apple ceviche
bright and acidic but perfectly balanced with the green apple

ceviche marinero, shrimp, octopus, krab, cucumber, mango
there was a mix of ripe and under-ripe mango for a nice sweet and tart combo. i loved the texture contrast of the soft and tender octopus and the crunchy cucumber and mango

zojirushi NP-HBC10, tamaki gold koshihikari short grain
Followed @attran99’s advice to BYOC (bring your own carb) to soak up all the delicious sauce.

camarones borrachos
unfortunately there wasn’t much sauce to soak up

pescado zarandeado, caramelized onion, tortillas
perfectly cooked and seasoned, the only failure were the tortillas, which were rock hard. Next time I’ll be BYOT’ing.

106 Seafood Underground
4302 W. 106 St
Lennox, CA 90304
310-980-3893

29 Likes

Looks so delicious! I can taste all the flavors from our dinner in the back of my mouth now. Your photos are fantastic…and you upped my game…koshihikari gold rice?!? I bow to your ingenuity.

4 Likes

BYORiceCooker is the most Asian and the most gangsta thing I ever seen

I’ll make it out here soon guys. I want to try all of it!

16 Likes

At this point if you go to Coni…it ain’t going to be Papa Cassio cooking your food and there is no guarantee that Daughter Conni will either. It may not be worth it to go Coni anymore vs 106 where you know Sergio is in the house, literally. Honestly if it ain’t Papa, Coni herself, or Sergio it probably wouldn’t be as good…and Sergio might be better than the Cassio’s???

Sergio might be one of the best Mariscos chefs in So Cal. I say might be because the Tostada Negra at Mariscos El Tocho imho is the best damn Mariscos in the city.

2 Likes

That is so great! BYo rice cooker. :joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Great report. :slight_smile: Thanks. I’ve been meaning to revisit Sergio (we were so devastated when he had to close Mariscos Chente again). Glad to hear he’s thriving in his new backyard operation! His cooking has always been excellent. No with low overhead, hopefully he can make this work.

LOL, BYO Rice Cooker! :smile: Did you end up cooking it fresh after you arrived (borrowing an outlet)? Or you had it ready? :wink:

The Camarones Borrachos, that’s unfortunate; in the past at his restaurant, there used to be plenty of liquid (delicious) to soak up. Definitely our favorite back then.

The Tortillas - bummer. Back at Mariscos Chente, the Tortillas may not be top tier, but it was still fine (not rock hard). Good to know.

Overall sounds like a great time though, can’t wait to try it. Thanks.

1 Like

their flour tortillas were dry, bland, and in need of some lard. i recommend that you BYOT in addition to BYOR.

4 Likes

Gorgeous photos! And I love the rice cooker!!!

2 Likes

love that it’s packed but i’m hoping this remains on the down low from any pesky authorities…

3 Likes

BYORC. Bruuuuuu. :rofl:

1 Like

Hopefully that won’t happen but Sergio seems confident he’s legit.

1 Like

So glad you finally went.

I :heart: this report, guys! Great pictures! Love the BYOGK & Cooker. Sergio seems like the kinda’ guy who wouldn’t care or get his feathers ruffled by such actions. Would loved to have seen the other patrons faces when they saw that! I agree about the tortillas but thought it was me because I was in the house when the Snook came and they were hard & cold by the time I ate them.

Long live Sergio!

3 Likes

Yah, the city allows it as long as you don’t exceed a $50K annual income. :wink:

2 Likes

Ahhh… we must’ve gotten lucky. I loved the Snook at Coni’Seafood as well.

ahh, didn’t know that.

1 Like

You really didn’t need to post that.

1 Like

so…cash only. got it

4 Likes

You are so bad! Sorry, @Nemroz! I just think we should try to be a little discreet. :smile:

1 Like

From all these posts, I think we need to make another trip back.

2 Likes