Sergio's 106 Seafood Underground

Great shots you guys!!! So sad to had to wave and run. Especially missing a chance to chat with the cool kids at the end of the table…

But we had a fabulous time and even in all the years of going to Sergio’s restaurants, we had never tried the Camarones de Mojo de Ajo. It’s a common dish in Yucatan, and so I felt like I probably had enough good ones in my life to skip it here. BUT MAN. Sergios was as delicious, but also different. Unlike some of the other preps, the shrimp are fried (So extra delicious shrimp heads!) and the sauce is wonderfully garlicky, citrusy with a kick. It had be my favorite of the night even though I LOVE those Camarones Culichis.

So glad so many enjoyed this place, it truly is special and just one of those… only in L.A. experiences, especially for the value! Hope to do this again. Maybe at a BBQ place?

9 Likes

Also yes… BYOZ happened… And is still highly recommended…

22 Likes

So sad I missed out. Is that @moonboy403 tamaki gold California Koshihikari at 1:0.92 rice to water?

8 Likes

It was actually a @PorkyBelly rice special…I think the crew polished off most (if not all the rice).

It was a great way to enjoy all the sauces from Sergio’s kitchen.

Thank you @PorkyBelly for such a great treat!

8 Likes

The shrimp dishes and ceviche >>> grilled snook.

5 Likes

It is tamaki gold but it’s @PorkyBelly’s secret recipe.

5 Likes

Oh I see Ventura county members don’t get invited :grinning:

1 Like

That looks awesome. Glad you guys had a fun time. Hopefully there is another meet up soon. Stuck in 110 degree Vegas this weekend. BYOZ is an epic move @PorkyBelly.

4 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

welcome to the jungle

15 Likes

The real deal .

We can always count on you to bring the knowledge @Dommy! And I loved the Camarones de Mojo de Ajo too. That sauce! The shrimp heads! :hearts: Loved hangin’ with all you guys!

6 Likes

You were totally invited lol.

2 Likes

Was Sergio there?

2 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

it’s ok, another time.

2 Likes

@PorkyBelly 1:0.92 “White Rice” or “Sushi” mode on the Z?

2 Likes

@hppzz was referring to my water ratio for tamaki gold cooking pot in pot using an instant pot…not the Z

2 Likes

sushi mode with a 30 minute presoak

5 Likes

I’ve been doing 1:1 with a ~1 hour presoak on sushi mode. I’ll try the adjustment.

I tend to increase the water proportion slightly depending on the age of the rice. If I find Tamaki (or any premium rice) on sale it generally means last year’s crop so it’s lost a bit of moisture.

n.b. all ratios by weight not volume

4 Likes