SeriousEats pulled a ChowHound

I understand that he’s seen out and about in Seattle and is quite the rock star :slight_smile: And his new book just came out.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/j-kenji-lopez-alt-is-seattles-most-powerful-food-influencer-and-its-most-reluctant-one/

I first ran into Kenji’s work at Serious Eats. He was living in upper Manhattan at the time. I lost much of my interest in SE when they dropped their open discussion board…

2 Likes

I have not visited seriouseats since posting this thread. That site is dead to me.

1 Like

However lame Serious Eats may have become, its archive of stuff from J. Kenji contains some of the most useful recipes and related information on the web. I don’t think I’ve ever accessed the site except from Google search results. There are a couple of other bylines on there that I’ve found trustworthy.

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s still one of my go-to’s any time I’m looking for a recipe. Along with Kenji, I’ve found the articles/recipes from Max Falkowitz, Stella Parks, and Dan Gritzer to be informative and useful.

2 Likes

Another vote for Stella Parks’ baking recipes and advice.

2 Likes

Me too. Pretty regularly. And especially now that google searches are showing sites that I don’t (yet) trust.

Not relevant to people that mostly access Serious Eats through Google but their new recipes are even harder to find now. Like, it’s to the point that you practically have to know they exist and search for them.

If you look at the “Our Latest” section it doesn’t actually seem updated for new recipes but it is full of product buying guides. I understand it’s a free site and they need to make their money somehow but seriously, this page doesn’t seem like it’s been updated for new recipes for at least a month.

They post a couple of their actual new (not updated) recipes on the front but I didn’t even realize how many garlic scape recipes they’d published recently until I searched for it specifically. The week old Reem Kassis content is nowhere to be found except through searches. I think there was a couple more new recipes in the same boat but I can’t confirm it because I can’t find them.

Yesterday they published this tomato sandwich recipe that’s seems superfluous compared to this recipe… I get that the new one is an easier version but it doesn’t even acknowledge that the previous one exists like they usually do when they streamline a recipe and the only new content seems to be the personal blurb at the top.

I think it’s important to say, I still appreciate Serious Eats, I still know it’s a free website and my complaints are entitled. It’s just kind of heartbreaking to see such an amazing resource change in ways that don’t seem to emphasize their strengths at all but also don’t introduce any improvements as far as I can see.

3 Likes

I still check Serious Eats every day so I wanted to follow up and say it seems like their recipe content has trended upward recently. For one thing, the “Latest” section of the site seems to actually be updated for recipes pretty consistently now. It also seems like they’ve stopped padding out that section with very minor updates to old recipes.

I’m also enjoying some of their new-ish contributors like Alia Li. She had a particularly good breakdown and recipe for Sambal Tumis about a year ago and her contributions are generally informative and well written.

5 Likes