SF Bay Area pizza scene, 2019 to ...?

Starting a new topic since so many places have closed (Buma’s, l’Osteria del Forno, Nizza la Bella, Pauline’s , Una Pizza Napoletana).

Old topic:

SF Bay Area pizza scene, 2016 to ...?

Perhaps mention some that have closed?

I heard from two sources that a Roman-style pizza place is going into the old Tacubaya place on Fourth Street. One had tasted some test pies and said it was the hand-shaped long style a la Antico Forno Roscioli and Forno Campo de’ Fiorii.

(The other styles of Roman pizza are individual round pies made to order, like BaoNecci in SF, and pizza a taglio aka pizza rustica, cooked in sheet pans and sold by weight, which you can get at PIQ in Berkeley. Pizza rustica is also the name of some other dishes.)

Lanesplitter hasn’t changed its menu in years, so I was excited to see this.

This is the 12" bar pie. Super-thin crust, nice and crisp. I’ve never had anything quite like it. Closest thing would be Pizzetta 211 in SF. It’s as minimalist as a classic Neapolitan Margherita, as thin as a Roman pie but crisp like New York coal-oven. It really shows off the flavor and texture of the dough. Basically just a more extreme version of their regular pie at its best. One of the best pizzas I’ve had in a long time.

Since it’s so thin and lightly topped, I think it’s about as much food as two regular slices. I got a regular slice after I polished this off.

Worth a detour. This was at the Berkeley location. I presume Emeryville also has it.

2 Likes

I guess they weren’t super-happy with the pizza a taglio they used to sell at Adesso.