SF Bay Area pizza scene, 2019 to ...?

Detroit-style with Wisconsin brick cheese (not glue).

Slice of margherita from June’s, in part of the old Fusebox space between Soba Ichi and Magnolia Mini Mart. Super-thin, tender and chewy, not crisp. Excellent.

https://junespizza.com/about

2 Likes

Passione “meat lovers” small ($16): I was picking up some tortillas from Xulo, so I picked up a pie for lunch. Good, not thin-crust, lots of cheese so more filling than your typical pizza that size. I tore off some crust before I drove home and it had a really nice crunch, to try it at its best I’d like to eat on-site when they’re open for that.

Still my favorite.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/justinphillips/article/Online-critics-claimed-an-Oakland-pizzeria-16225662.php

Hey Robert, Im gonna be in SF mid July and would love a couple recs from you re: pizza in SF(besides TonyG’s places) and a couple Italian restaurants for great pasta…thoughts?

Perbacco for pasta.

Pizza, there are so many places and I haven’t been to most of the newer ones. Tomasso’s and Golden Boy are unique. Bao’Necci for the best thin Roman-style I’ve had outside of Rome.

1 Like

great re: Perbacco…never been…I’ll look into Bao’Necci…Tomasso’s and Golden Boy Im familiar with when I lived in SF in the 80s…I can’t seem to find much intel on the newer places in SF…I’ll report on the pasta, thanks

Cotogna’s my favorite for the sort of NY-Naples hybrid style (kind of like Pizzeria Mozza in LA) also made by Delfina, Zero Zero, and Flour + Water. Haven’t been to any of them very recently, for that style I go to Zut in Berkeley.

A16 for hardcore, certified Neapolitan.

I haven’t been back to Tony’s after a disappointing experience in 2012. I suspect they just try to do so many things that they can’t execute them consistently.

1 Like

You might look at

1 Like

thanks Robert, yes, Ive never had anything but extremely satisfying experiences at Tony’s Neapolitan and Slice House next door…Ive been to most of the more Neapolitan styles you listed…from your description, I think I may try Cotogna…thanks for this other link, too, I’ll check it out now

Great antipasti, pastas, and desserts at Cotogna, too. The secondi are solid but not as exciting.

1 Like

yummy…lookin forward to my Bay Area visit

From previous visits to SF we also liked Perbacco

1 Like

I’d recommend La Ciccia as well, but they’ll be on vacation.

1 Like

interesting…I ate at Il Romanista several times before it was shut down by The Virus…the pizza always had the requisite crispy chewiness and never too doughy…oh well, everyone has a bad day! Triple Beam is still cranking out great Roman “al taglio” style pizza

Jupiter’s been a reliable place for pizza for a long time.

Circe: shrimp, garlic butter, mozzarella. Maybe my favorite pizza bianca

Eutropia: housemade sausage, Hobbs bacon & pepperoni, smoked mozzarella. This or the Triton are my usual orders.

Beer selection is reduced. You can see it on the online menu (they’re using QR codes and online ordering for in-house dining):

Here’s something that surprised me: I wanted to pick up a pizza for lunch, and none of my usual places were open except Rotten City, which I wasn’t interested in since I had a slice there just yesterday. Graffiti opens at 5 every day but Monday. Lanesplitter opens at 3 daily. Labor shortage, I presume.

Rotten City was good as usual except a bit soggy in the center. I should have taken it home and crisped it up in a pan, but it was getting late and I was really hungry. No dine-in, patio seating. They’re doing quarter-pie slices, this was $13.50 before tax and tip.

Wow . 6.75 a slice . I remember standing in line when pizza my heart opened in Capitola. Circa 1981 . This place is going to make a million dollars . They did . Inflation and cost have sure changed . I like the tip of the slice to be a little bit soggy . Looks good.

Something seemed off when we ate at the original Lanesplitter recently. They’d torn out the bar so the space felt sort of unfinished and weird. Pizza was good but different.