SGV food crawl and Little Sister

Perhaps I’m confusing my experiences at SGV eateries w/ what I saw growing up! :stuck_out_tongue: and :wink: When I go by myself, I have to say that I typically get somewhat more polite service than when I go w/ my parents… ::sigh::

@bulavinaka: have you tried the 101 Noodle Express in Culver City? The beef roll is just as good. :slight_smile:

@JThur01: I actually don’t know if white people get treated better! @ipsedixit might have something to say about that… :wink:

1 Like

For the most part the wite-boy agrees and get helpful service and great treatment in the SGV.

The only thing that has occurred to me (several times) is this: I will occasionally be subjected to some “house-friendly” rules they would never spring on my Chinese/Taiwanese friends, such as corkage fees and a maximum credit card number they will accept (like 2, when we wanted to use 3 - I am not talking about 10 credit cards for 9 diners).

I have nicely but firmly told them I was here with a big group and chinese friends and nobody said boo about the corkage or the cards and they usually back down with a smirk. If not, I follow their rules.

The whole whites don’t get good service in SGV is like Nessie…more of a myth to keep the mysticism of it going.

If anything,one could probably argue that whites tend to get better service because the waiter knows that they are not accustomed to brusque service and don’t want to upset “the man”.

Now not getting particular specials and pricing…that’s another story.

4 Likes

I tried the Fox Hills unit not too long after they opened. The beef roll was not the same at that time. And no radish greens/green Chile condiment! Poorly executed, too much sauce and cut into makizushi-sized pieces - about half of a roll total. But that was many moons ago. You and others have said that the beef roll is legit (now) so I will give it another whirl. Thanks!

i’m going to agree and say i don’t recall getting bad service because i’m non-chinese. i will say
i’ve found the service improved if i’m in the company of an older non chinese person.
maybe i shouldn’t generalise like this, but i’ve found in the SGV they treat the elderly non chinese
with a bit more care.

2 Likes

Re: tipping. On (my far too infrequent) return visits, sure :slight_smile:, but it doesn’t explain the generally good treatment on initial visits.

servers playing the odds

You guys tip??

You don’t have to tip anywhere in the SGV??

Is this also true for Lil Saigon??

Technically you don’t have to tip anywhere.

An old stereotype.

Most people tip 10-15% now.

Even at hole in the wall places.

Even the older generation.

I’ll just say it doesn’t benefit the community to perpetuate negative stereotypes like SGV doles out inferior food to non Asians or that people don’t need to tip at SGV restaurants. Maybe true 20 years or so ago but the culture has certainly changed since then.

3 Likes

I was (thankfully) unaware of any sort of ‘no tipping’ tradition. I’ve always dropped the customary 15-20%. Especially in local, hole-in-the-wall places. I mean, under $10 for a what’s generally some pretty awesome food is already a bargain. not throwing down an extra single or two, unless something has gone terribly wrong, seems churlish.

3 Likes

Thankfully indeed.

In some places the tip goes to the owners and not the staff. That’s the reason some people use to justify not tipping.

However, in the past 2 years I’ve heard the waitstaff at 101 Noodle Express and Sam Woo speak poorly of the customers who tip $2 on a $60 meal. They wouldn’t do so if the tip was still going to management and not the waitstaff. Maybe the poor tippers also heard that you didn’t have to tip at Asian places. Sucks for the waitstaff.

Heck, even at Trieu Chau most patrons, including the older Vietnamese patrons, will tip $1 on a $7-8 bowl of noodles (10-14%).

i think i read somewhere, or maybe saw on t.v., anthony bourdain
got so tired of worrying about various tipping customs all over the globe
he just tips the same everywhere.

if i misheard this, or am remembering incorrectly, apologies to anthony and everyone else.

Onetime we left a tip (15% or so) at a dim sum place in Hong Kong. The waiter did not know what to do and decided to give it back to us.:slight_smile:

How long ago was this?

These days most countries (Europe, South America) automatically add 10-12% service charge. Kanda in Tokyo charged a service charge and Japan is traditionally no tipping.

Our waiters in Hong Kong had no such difficulties accepting our 15% tip :wink:

In the end it’s a personal thing in most cases. No doubt waiting tables in college has skewed my perspective.

Most European countries I travel to (Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, Italy, France and Portugal) don’t have normally an extra service charge in restaurants. The exceptions are very touristy restaurants where they try to get some “extra” money out of tourists

These days many of them do (London, Spain, France, Italy, Russia). Or I should say noticing it more than previous years. And I’m not one to stick to the touristy spots.

Not in my experience

“Unlike in America, cafes and restaurants in Paris and the rest of France directly include a 15 percent service charge in your check. This is required by French law as tips are assessed for taxation purposes.”

http://gofrance.about.com/od/travelplanning/a/tippinginfrance.htm

And in Italy:
“Servizio: More and more frequently, restaurants in Rome, Florence, Venice, and the Amalfi Coast (ie tourist destinations) add an unprecedented 10-15% service charge to bills”