SGV food crawl and Little Sister

For France it just means that they have to seperately write on your bill now how much in the menu price of a dish is the service part (obviously all prices in European countries are calculated to include (most of the times) service charges but most other countries don’t have a law to separately describe the service part of a bill. The whole system in Europe was always that the price of the dish as written on the menu included everything (including service/"salary"for the waiter). The change now in France is that they now more detailed exlain on your bill how everything is calculated.

Mandatory service fee =/= tipping

Obviously. But it is supposed to accomplish the same thing. Reward/compensate those that work hard to serve you.

Why should the hard working waiters in SGV be the only ones in town to be denied tip? Service at many restaurants are as good as any place West of the 710.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with any of that, except it is true in some of the shadier restaurants the owner will skim the tips. Have had many servers growing up telling my parents not to tip because of that (in little Saigon). Not sure how prevalent that practice is now that I no longer live in OC.

Of course, the answer to the skimming tips thing was to slyly pass the tip directly to the server.

1 Like

Hong Kong and China don’t have a strong history of tipping.

maybe as recently as five years ago, i wouldn’t have disputed that 101 noodle express made the best beef roll. but my take is that the alhambra location slipped a bit after they expanded and raised their prices. and places like flavor garden across the street from 101 have raised the bar. sadly, FG’s quality has become a little uneven since they first opened a few years ago, but when they’re on, i prefer FG’s version.