Shiki Beverly Hills - OOE Mori Omakase

Dude… $500pp food only?! This even gives me pause.
That Shiki price point got jacked up big time. It’s prolly the Beverly Hills/Shiki management cayshing in on Mori-san’s epic level status. Was the joint packed?
And only 1 dessert for that price?!
You could poach a solid pair of black OG Jordan IV retros for that dough.
As wonderful as your meal looked, I would seriously consider other equally orgasmic dining options at that price point.
(Sorry to sound like like Aesthete today - I promise you he hasn’t dopplegangered my identity… :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Oh, my. You are a trooper.

The OG 4s wouldn’t be wearable though. Tbh I was surprised by the price, was expecting 3-400 pp. Can’t say I’m in a rush to return either for that price point, would rather go to Mori for half the price. It was probably 90% full at 8, by the time I finished around 11 it was probably 50% full, with people still ordering.

3 Likes

Glad I got in there before the JGold review.
For the record, I happily sport my AJ IV Retros. My OG AJ IIIs, VI’s, IX’s, though, are boxed.

4 Likes

Dilly dilly.

Ouch! Major QPR dive.

1 Like

It seems you won’t have to. Our work is done - Shiki of Beverly Hills is up and running… and running.

Ditto… We raised the lantern. JGold raised the price.

1 Like

Are you tired of my battle cry? Well, the grumbling about price has gotten louder, so here it is again… Omakase Lunch Special with Chef Jun! You ballers and big eaters can enhance the experience by requesting a little more somethin’ somethin’, but this girl paid $68 + big tip.

I get it. There’s much love for Mori-san. We felt it, he brings it, we’ll go back to him for a special occasion. But if you’re looking for a very satisfying sushi experience without the hype…

7 Likes

We have been going to Shiki before Mori san, and of the 3 edomae there, Hiro san was always our favorite (although we also liked Jun san and Shige san).
One day early winter Hiro was booked and Shige was gone, we were delighted to be seated in front of Mori san. This was before Gold-inspired price hike, so total was decent $865 for 3 people including tax and tip and corkage for 2 bottles we brought. The 3 of us had a nice omakase dinner, but Mori seemed so stressed out running the place. Usually these kind of dinners for me have a nice flow, kind of like Dave Brubeck piece, but on that particular night the experience was very choppy, it never got into a rhythm. He would serve us a few pieces of nigiri, then run off to do something else, then return, etc.
What really stood out was amazing flavor/texture of the shari that night, but it was not enough for me to want to go back.

2 Likes

Went this week and sat in front of Mori-san on a quiet-ish night.
Excellent food. Excellent service.

3 Likes

I did that about 2 weeks ago. Was excellent but VERY quiet - me (solo) and couple on a first date (big spender for a 1st date).
None of the harried-ness @beam mentions above.
Cost was $200.

Zero harried-ness on my visit. No kegani (hairy crab) either :wink:

I think we got the $160pp omakase.

IMG-0612

Then like 6-8 pieces of nigiri and tekkamaki to finish. Sorry, no photos…

I can’t remember which, but dessert was either a chocolate cake or tiramisu with fresh strawberries.

Best bite (sip) was the dashi. Deep smoky flavor.

4 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

when will it be my turn to take a first date to omakase

2 Likes

Hi @beam -

This is it - the reason my meal with Chef Jun stands out as my most fulfilling omakase experience to date. Not because he’s a master or as experienced - it was the particular vibe. I had never been to Shiki, walked in early afternoon, no reservation, except for one customer finishing dessert it was empty. I asked for the bar and was seated with Jun-san. I explained my experience level. He served me courses in a considerate way explaining hot & cold, discussed the pieces, vinegars, what condiments are housemade (almost everything), he seemed to be enjoying my journey. Oh, and it was delicious! Essentially, I had a private chef experience. And when you pay only $68+ for that particular experience you feel like you’ve done something.

I have since eaten with Mori-san (the works) and with Shunji-san for his famously inexpensive lunch special, both fantastic people and chefs, but it was the experience that day with Jun-san that sticks with me.

Anyway… Happy :sushi: Eating!

5 Likes

Returned last night for omakase with Hiro san. they changed the layout a bit, in chess terms, castling Hiro and Mori, and so Hiro now stands in the middle, where Mori used to stand, and Mori has moved to where Hiro was before.
As a result, it was very difficult to maintain the chat with Hiro, as we used to be able to do, which was similar to why we could quite get into a flow with Mori last time. However, we had a real pleasure and a treat to strike a conversation with chef Naohiko Sugiyama, who spent most of his time right in front of us. Nao san used to run his own restaurant in NYC for 17 years, and a master on his own. He is also a fan of Japanese ceramics, and let us check out many of the beautiful ceramic dishes they have there.
Food-wise omakase experience was world class, similar to the the descriptions on this board. Total $220 per person + tax/tip, and $30 corkage for the wine. Shari was incredible again. fish selections great, seasonal, most fish hailing from Japan.

5 Likes

Hi @beam -

I’m not a chess player. But the layout prior to chef changes and new arrivals seemed more comfortably situated. There were two bars - the main bar and a spacious bar in the back for V.I.P. action. Are they breaking them up for different chefs?

Anyway, I have a question for the group. Do you have feelings about reserving with a particular chef, then reserving with a different chef another night? If the chef you reserved with before is also working is it awkward or do they see it as good for the restaurant?

Edit: We were also introduced to Naohiko Sugiyama and told his history. They all seem to be really supportive of each other.

Thanks

Plan around their days off… don’t want to be caught cheating on your favorite.

1 Like