Shunji - OOE Omakase

Did you eat at Hayato on October 20th by chance? One of the customers had brought Chef Go yuzu from their backyard and we briefly discussed the pain in the assness of growing yuzu (short season, small yield).

1 Like

Not me, but we should all start a backyard yuzu growers’ gripe board!

1 Like

And here I am still trying to find an yuzu tree.

1 Like

Haha, my comment was confusing. I don’t grow yuzu. I just mentioned at the dinner that it sounded like a cool idea and was promptly corrected by the grower and Chef Go.

1 Like

Hey! Take it to the yuzu growers’ gripe thread!

While we’re at it: I have heard it takes a yuzu tree 10 years to grow fruit. Fact or fiction?

1 Like

Mine took 7 years. And it reliably produces a decent harvest of fruit only every other year in SoCal (just 3-4 fruits on those 'off" years)…

2 Likes

fiction, I got a tree 2 years ago and it it was maybe 3-4 ft tall at the time, gave us 4 yuzus that year.
Last year yielded maybe 3, and this year none :frowning: but I can’t imagine it was more than a year or two old when I got it

1 Like

Yuzu trees: Threat or menace?

3 Likes

Same story here, 7-8 years. I thought mine would never produce more than a few fruits, then BAM–yuzu overload. And yes, alternating years.

3 Likes

Bought mine from sunset nursery in east Hollywood

1 Like

@CiaoBob :crazy_face:

7 Likes

@TheCookie is already ON IT!!!

6 Likes

Jeez, you guys are so cranky today.

4 Likes

We’re just talking about restaurants and food. This is supposed to be fun guys.

3 Likes

Agreed. Let’s just relax.

1 Like

What was this discussion about? How is shunji dining space?

3 Likes

Has anyone dined with Chef Miki? Trying to pick what sushi place to take my father to before I move to Berkeley in a couple weeks (:cry:). If reservation availability wasn’t a concern I’d go Kaneyoshi > Shunji (sitting with Shunji). Recently ate at SGO, was a little too hit-and-miss (especially given the price point). Waiting to hear back from Mori Sushi about their availability.

Currently my options look something like:
Shunji (sitting with Miki)
Takeda
Morihiro
Kogane (a bit far, tbh)

If Shibucho (on Beverly) had reopened I’d go there without even thinking about it. Also open to places in the SFV, but I think the best pick there is Shin and it’s probably not quite the send-off I’m looking for.

If anyone has any thoughts/leads, would really appreciate them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wait for your father to visit and take him to Yoshizumi?

It’s definitely got the “barely keeping the lights on”
vibe