Shunji - OOE Omakase

Feels like a “yes, and” sort of thing, tbh. (Also, is it any easier to get a reservation there than it is for, say, Kaneyoshi?)

I’ve had omakase with Miki-san many times. The experience with Miki is as good as Shunji-san himself. The otsumame comes from the same kitchen as the other side, and Miki-san’s sushi skillz are excellent.

3 Likes

Great to hear, thank you! Will probably go with that unless I hear back from Mori tonight.

1 Like

what were your misses at sgo?

The first two otsumami (octopus & chawanmushi) were both very good. The next five ranged from “middling” to “good” - a couple felt somewhat unbalanced (i.e. saucing being too salty for the fish), and the abalone was good but not as good as it had been either at Shunji or Corridor 109.

The first piece of nigiri (snapper) also tasted pretty unbalanced - either the rice or the shoyu (or both, combined) were far too aggresively flavored and completely overwhelmed the fish. It improved from there and there were some definite high notes, but there were still a couple things after that which felt like they didn’t reach their full potential - the kurama ebi was too big as a single bite (and felt a touch overdone), and the grilled pen shell (which they called “pen shell scallop”, though I think it was just tairagi) was just… ok?

In an absolute sense it still probably breaks my top-10 omakase experiences, at least purely on food quality, but the two other “high-end” sushi-ya I’ve been to in LA had a higher and more consistent “floor” in quality.

7 Likes
3 Likes

I feel like I need to see Shunji San again soon :two_hearts: Iwashi sashimi was so good :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and also these…

Shunji San will go to Japan most of January and he will tweak his Shari a bit when he’s back. It will be even more tasty :yum:

Since I’m here, this is for @attran99 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Shunji grandpa asked me to wear this last time. Next time you visit, surprised them with Ao Dai, they really love it.

11 Likes

Adorable! And a matching bag. The tailoring for an ao dai is always so nice. I haven’t had to wear one of those in years.

And a wonderful meal! I need to drop in for 2023.

4 Likes

I love sardines and ao dai😍

1 Like

Honest question: Is shunji san really a grandpa or old enough to be one? Aside from the white hair, He and yucapra looks awfully young. My dad had completely white hair in his 30’s so white hair isn’t always the best Indicator of age.

1 Like

@Arm: Shunji is not a grandpa, but thanks for inferring.

1 Like

Until @chrishei gets married and has kids. Shunji will not be a grandfather

8 Likes

@hppzz it’s not about age, they’re my adopted family :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

does @chrishei know about this?

4 Likes

I’m waiting to become cousin Charlie for @Armillaria since victor has already become part of the fam :frowning:

2 Likes

We’re happily sharing :two_hearts: Be our sushi family :ok_woman: I just wanna eat nigiri and lick all the sauces off my plates :smile:

1 Like

Literally… how to clean kawahagi liver sauce with Shari - step by step:

So many amazing otsumami from last week (left) to this week (right) starting with sashimi & tosazu:

Shirauo

Iwashi

Amadai

Ankimo

*This week’s ankimo harvest!!!

Kawahagi & its liver

Nodoguro rice

*Last week Saba bouzushi

*This week Kanpyo maki with uni

*This week sea cucumber

Abalone porridge

Favorite karasumi mochi from this week

*Not all otsumami are listed. There are some more amazing ones, I just got lazy. I haven’t even talked about the wonderful nigiri!

Also, the new persimmon panna cotta is yummy!

12 Likes