Sichuan Impression—Westwood

Came for lunch slightly before opening and there were already about 20 people waiting. Even with an ipad waiting list it was a free-for-all when they finally opened. Lots of ucla students in bare feet and slippers.

Pro tip: if you want more heat and like to live dangerously wear a white shirt.

PSA 12% off your total bill until next tuesday.

menu
sichuan_impression_20181007_140751

sichuan_impression_20181007_113420

sichuan_impression_20181007_140834

juicy steamed chicken in chili sauce aka saliva chicken
Pleasantly spicy with a slight sweetness. Loved the bamboo and onion slices underneath the chicken, wish there were more. Also wished they used more dark meat, the one or twice slices I got were dynamite, the white meat was slightly dry.
sichuan_impression_20181007_135921

sichuan_impression_20181007_140204

ma po tofu - tofu, minced beef, green garlic sprouts, sichuan peppercorn powder
smooth, silky, little bit of ma la, on point.
sichuan_impression_20181007_115259

sichuan_impression_20181007_115303

sweet and sour shrimp - shrimp, celery, scallion, cilantro
this was okay, shouldn’t have let the server talk me out of the “griddle-cooked shrimp”.
sichuan_impression_20181007_114556

not toto
sichuan_impression_20181007_121656

Overall pretty good for their opening week, service was friendly and food is just as good as the original. Will come back to try more. The only thing I didn’t like were the stingy rice portions. You pretty much have to eat this food with rice and they only give you at most half a bowl for a dollar each. I wonder if there’s a corkage if you BYOR?

I’ll update this post with an after-meal bathroom report tomorrow TBC.

Sichuan Impression
11057 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 444-7171

10 Likes

BYOR.

2 Likes

They charge you bowlage.

2 Likes

Nigiri time.

Been twice to Sichuan Impression Westwood in the last week…while very good (I don’t know how much better than hop woo to be honest)…I also went to Chengdu Taste Alhambra this week (my gold standard) and CT absolutely crushes SI and HW still.

Chengdu Taste is simply transcendent, no competition.

1 Like

I had the Kung pao chicken last night and I woke up this morning wanting it again.

One of the girls sitting next to me showed me her ticket as a recommendation.

I really wish the chef allowed takeout.

3 Likes

They’ve got to, at some point, no? At least I hope they do. Their tustin location does takeout.

No takeout?

3 Likes

Good news, everyone! They now do takeout but you have to order it in the restaurant, not over the phone.

Tried the mapo tofu and kung pao chicken, both of which were EXCELLENT. I could have used maybe a touch more ma la in the kung pao, but the carmelization on the chicken more than made up for it.

Mapo Tofu

Kung Pao Chicken

9 Likes

ask for the kung pao extra spicy, done it twice now

4 Likes

Tea smoked ribs :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Last time I got the tea smoked ribs from this branch they were sadly quite dry

I got them as well and WAS NOT a fan…expensive and not that good IMO.

Mine were delicious, Tustin and Alhambra locations. Definitely will order again.

Mao Cai.

“Chinese spam”, aka pig blood cakes. They taste like spam with a bologna texture, very smooth and flavorful.

I must confess, I only had a couple bites of the “spam”, and completely avoided the tripe. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

How was the flavor of the broth it came in?

Their version of Laziji (Chili Chicken) is really tasty! Also, they’ve already named a dish after me (Big Mouth Ginger Frog). Probably because I’m such a good customer. :laughing:

5 Likes

I’m no expert on hotpot, but I thought it was very good, it was rich without being heavy. There was heat and numbing, but I think they toned down the spice, because it was pretty mild, and I’m no spice hound. You might have to emphasize if you want spicy, like, really, really convince them. :slight_smile:

@Bigmouth You deserve a dish of your own! :wink:

2 Likes

How are the lines for a weeknight dinner?
Thinking of going tonight, but it would be at prime time most likely.