Solvang / Santa Ynez / Los Olivos / Buellton

Thoughts on Tercero?

Looks like I haven’t had the pleasure. All screw tops?

I think so, yes. I know the owner/winemaker believes in them strongly. I wouldn’t even think to judge his quality with that as a marker though. I used to own a wine shop and learned, long ago, that screwcaps are just another closure…… nothing more or less.

1 Like

Yes I know. But every part of the bottle contributes to the tasting experience and a cork feels necessary to me at those prices. I realize screwcap function is just as good.

I know your feeling is real for some. When I owned the shop, and some high-end Oregon producers began bottling their Pinot Noir under screwcap, I did have customers who wouldn’t touch them. Personally I find the reduced occurrence of cork taint well worth the aesthetic loss.

And then, of course, there’s the issue of what to call the fee for opening when you bring your own wine to a restaurant. “Screwage” just doesn’t sound right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That all depends on how much they charge you for the pleasure… ;-D

1 Like

True that!!!

1 Like

So Bell’s is all the rage and the hype was already big before they got the recent star. I’m not complaining, we’ve been fans for a long time. Even when it was just a rotisserie chicken spot we’d never miss under previous, most charming owner

But these days I say SY Kitchen is more fun for us, especially after the recent upgrade. 2 Italian chefs listed on the menu. Lots of wood fired stuff

Nice new outdoor digs

Really great meatballs in a fresh pasata

Lovely spring pea salad in the winter.

Cocks comb spinach pasta in a light ragu

Wild mushroom papardelle

Nduja sausage potato and buratta

Everything well executed

7 Likes

Love SY Kitchen! Glad to hear they keep getting better.

We’ve ended up signing up to Rideau wine membership. We’ve been visiting them for 2 years and love the place and most of the wine.

Also Andrew Murray’s new label E11even which is pretty cool.

2 Likes

We enjoyed the tasting at Andrew Murray last month (although the tasting room is not to my taste, so to speak). I don’t think they were pouring the E11even wines. Only wine club membership I have right now is Demetria.

2 Likes

E11even is in town. Sitting outside at AM was nice. I’m still questioning whether we’re going to keep this one.

1 Like

Ah ok. We went to a couple places in town but clearly missed E11even. Artiste was fun and different.

Cool. Wine wise Dragonette, Samsara, Holus Bolus, Knife & Barrel (might be gone), Brewer Clifton are worth exploration. There are others i’m sure but these i know i like.

So great you signed up for Demetria… we’ve been going there for so long we have photos of our kid in the tree pit so he can’t go anywhere… before they had rules for everything

4 Likes

Random question…where do y’all stay when you come up to the area for the weekend?

Considering making a trek out this way for a couple of days.

Favorite in Santa Ynez is the Genevieve, although their rates keep going up.

Also very fond of the For Friends Inn

Lots more options in Solvang at a variety of prices and levels. We liked the Mirabelle Inn.

And then there’s the new Auberge if you really want to splurge

1 Like

The rapid change from sleepy, inexpensive Santa Ynez Valley to whatever it is today, is quite remarkable

Fess Parker is another good choice for lodging…we are going up and staying there later this summer.

3 Likes

Thanks, @CiaoBob and @TheCookie!

It seems to be a busy weekend…all the high-end accommodations are booked solid. But we booked ForFriends…and you do get a better rate if you call them direct.

Got a reservation for Bell’s, too.

Gonna read this thread a little more to plan our wine game plan.

4 Likes

Bell’s is one of the most accommodating restaurants I’ve ever had the pleasure of dining at.

2 Likes

Great stay last weekend in the area.

Here’s a link to Greg Ryan’s Guide to the Valley which has some nice suggestions:
https://www.companionhcc.com/valleyguide

NA NA THAI

• CHCC alums and umbrella
  • Some complain about the prices, but the quality of ingredients is unmistakable
  • Gai Tod, Geng Daeng Moo Sab (great and spicy), Pad Sii Uuu
  • Tip: Motley Crew Ranch is next store, but not open yet. Want eggs or pick up an order? Email and pay and they’ll give you a code to enter and pick up your order largely on the honor system.

BAR LA CÔTE

• our best meal of the trip
  • service was on point
  • food more nuanced and delicious of any visit, they’re firing on all cylinders
  • Savory basque cheesecake, scallop crudo, saffron buns with uni butter, crab pot pie, duck á la plancha, halibut (highlight, layered, more complex than the description), olive oil cake, chocolate pot de crème
  • Half-off sparkling wines on Thursdays
  • lots of seafood sourced from Sea Stephanie Fish who lives in Los Alamos

Boquerones :point_down:

Yellowtail Collar :point_down:

THE TAVERN BAR AT MATTEI’S TAVERN

• solid grass fed burger with comté with excellent thick cut fries, delicious wild boar chili
  • so-so service
  • locals and tourists in the late afternoon
  • they did a nice job preserving a sense of place here

FULL OF LIFE FLATBREAD

BOB’S WELL BREAD

• pistachio croissant (with and without chocolate)
  • pistachio rosemary shortbread
  • GF Everything Cookie (surprisingly yummy)
  • Tips: order online to skip the line, prefer the Los Alamos location

PRIEDITE BBQ

• get there early if you want the beef rib, we missed it
  • new location, new hours - Bodega, starts at noon, dreamy space
  • great vibe, great service, Nick & Brendan will treat you right
  • Ate half the order the next day with a master competition judge and the brother of a famous pit master in VA (did you know BBQ judges eat the ‘cue with their hands? I didn’t.)

Nice vaquero style ‘cue. We all agreed brisket was excellent. Texture and bark :+1:. The spareribs were a tad under seasoned and definitely needed the very excellent sauce. Same with pulled pork. Sausages also excellent. We all like the course grind and snap. Best sides were the spicy pickles and potato salad. The homemade flour tortillas are solid. The buttermilk pudding was a little too sweet and grainy, but might have been a bum batch. Everyone raves about it, so maybe just us :woman_shrugging:t2:.

• Tips: Have your buddy grab drinks for in line imbibing, the very good fermented habanero sauce is a wine killer (duh), Ghia ginger is a nice non-alcoholic BBQ companion.

BELL’S
Very good, but not the best meal we’ve had at Bell’s or on this trip. We have a theory that we have better meals at Bell’s towards the end of the month. Perhaps they’ve had some time fine tune the dishes. Still good, but maybe not as mind blowing as some of our other meals there. Service was also not Michelin caliber this trip. Forgotten flatware while food sat for several minutes, no explanations of dishes when brought to the table (glad we kept menus).
Pro tip: If the dish you order has french fries, save some for dessert. They were great with the chocolate budino and honey ice cream.

Rabbit :point_up_2:

Egg En Croute :point_up_2:

Dover :point_up_2:

INDUSTRIAL EATS
The Smoked Beef Tongue Pastrami remains one of my favorite sandwiches anywhere. The fennel apple slaw is delicious. Fewer provisions stocked and no butchery items available on our visit. Jeff’s presence is very much missed.
Tip: Order online to avoid the lines

WINE TASTING

These days I prefer to drink my wine :wine_glass: with meals and not in a tasting room. Most restaurants have by the glass selections of some of the best of the Valley, sometimes with age and that seems to work better for me. Still, friends wanted to get to a couple tasting rooms:

STORM
If you like Pinot Noir, just go. I’m not a huge fan of Central Coast PN, but Ernst Storm clearly has skills.

STOLPMAN
There’s a separate tasting area for their “fresh” carbonic selections. Reservations on weekends strongly suggested. Thought the Sauvignon Blanc was the strongest.

CASA DUMETZ
Sonja Magdevski’s wines (Clementine Carter, Feminist Party, Casa Dumetz) are downright delicious. Such a great vibe, love being there. Wonderful staff. Relaxed tasting where many locals wander in for pre-theater class of wine. She’s also a terrific human being.

A TRIBUTE TO GRACE

Something for everybody here. It’s all Grenache, baby. There’s a large picture that greets you at the entrance of the Hofer Vineyard in…drum roll…Ontario. It might be adjacent to the airport. My favorite is the sparkling Grenache. Get it while you can.

FARM STANDS

Before we leave the area, we go to Finley Farms and now, the newer Roblar Farm (at the winery) both in Los Olivos to get our week’s produce having missed our weekend farmer’s markets. Both are honor stands. You can pay cash, but you can also Venmo which can be challenging as cell service is spotty all over the Valley, but you’ll prevail.
Tip: go early for best selection

You might get some rain this weekend, but then you may get this:

Have fun. Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

13 Likes